Anyone else whose goal is still not a "healthy weight"?

Options
My highest-ever weight is 307 (in 2008). I got down to 272 by exercising alone, and then changed my diet pretty dramatically in 2012 and lost only 10 lb.

So back in March 2013, I started MFP at 262 and now I'm at 225. It's been a steady loss. I've lost several clothing sizes and inches, and I am happy with where I am although I still want to lose AT LEAST another 20-30 lb.

HOWEVER...I don't want to get "thin" and by medical standards I still won't be a healthy weight for my height (5'8") even if I get to 180 which is definitely on the low side of where I plan to end up (I'm thinking 180-195 as my final goal in the next year or two).

Anyone else have goals like this? I see a lot of people on MFP who are in my weight range but most plan to lose another 75 to 100 lb. For the record I have no health conditions or issues (didn't even at 307) and obviously I want to keep it that way. If I ever need to lose more for health-related reasons I'd be more than willing to try, but in a purely aesthetic sense I don't really want to be much smaller than 200. I was 190 at age fourteen and I really think that was an ideal weight for me.

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    According to the BMI chart I would have to get below 165 to be at a "healthy weight." My PCP says otherwise. He says AT MOST i can expect 180 and even that's pushing it. Anything less is not advisable.
  • samammay
    Options
    My goal weight (long term) is smack dab in the middle of the BMI's 'overweight' category.

I think its a general consensus that BMI is meaningless.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm only 3 lbs from the weight my doctor wants me at...and I'd like to lose 20 more for aesthetic reasons, but even then I'll be 5 lbs into the overweight BMI for my height. I can't say where I'll end up, but I don't have goals to get very thin. It's just not the lifestyle I want, to be honest. I am working on more exercise, but that's separate from the weight loss. I am enjoying how it feels, which is totally unexpected for me.
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My goal isn't considered overweight, but its on the higher side of a healthy BMI range. I'm 5'7 and would be happy at 150-155
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I was 365 at my highest. When I started last big push July of last year my goal was 230. I think that's technically still obese (i'm 5'11"). I did a lower carb approach to get there (along with exercise) and I actually made it below a few pounds but when I went back to more traditional eating I got a little back in water. Most days I'm between 235-240. I feel good but I'd still like to see if I could reach 200. I'd settle for 210-215 though.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My fiance's BMI is still in the obese range and he is very fit and has the beginnings of six pack abs.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    According to the charts I should be at about 145 -150 I am aiming for 165 to 170
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I think the scale is helpful to get you going in the right direction.

But at the end of the journey, the mirror v. your mental image of your ideal self is far more important than the scale.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I will still be "overweight" as well according to that dumb chart.lol 160 is my goal at the moment for my 5'6" large frame. that should put me at roughly a size 8-10 depending on muscle mass I acquire. Good luck!
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. My current goal is 200 and, honestly, I think I will be happy at that point or even before I get there. I've grown used to being curvy and it's a part of my identity in a good way. My boyfriend loves my curves and I even like the way they feel. I like my round booty, too :) Not to mention there are health benefits associated with carrying a little extra weight versus being thin. It's all about where you feel comfortable. I didn't feel comfortable at 275, don't feel comfortable now at 245 but am definitely more capable, and think I'll be happy once I get rid of some more excess and find my fitness improving even more. I dont' want to be an athlete but I would like to be fit enough to climb up stairs or take the lead in the bedroom ;) without becoming fatigued. And feel like I'm looking good doing it!
  • glenverrier
    glenverrier Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am 6' 2" and my BMI would like to see me between 144 and 194. I have made my goal weight 230 lbs which is still in the obese category. Iv'e always been a big guy and will judge accordingly once I've reached that goal at how much more I would like to lose!
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    If I ever hit waht my Insurance company considers to be my healthy weight I'll be at my weight when I was 17-18..... lol...
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My BMI charts say that, at the MOST I should be 145 lbs. I'm at 165 right now and am pretty dang happy with my body! My goal is to get down to 150, but I'm not sure if I want to get any lower than that.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Um... yeah. The BMI chart says I should be at 120 - 135 I. I'll be very pleased if I can get to, and maintain, 160. That would put me between a size 10 & 12, which is a comfortable place for me.
  • wmstormvet
    Options
    My goal isn't what would be considered a healthy weight by a doctor or the charts. I go by how I feel and look like. I feel like my so called healthy weight is too low for me. I look anorexic and have bones sticking out everywhere. I know is sounds high but if I go below 170 or so, I can't even sleep comfortably.
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I second the notion that BMI is essentially meaningless. I am a grad student with friends doing research in the kinesiology, exercise, and dietary science departments at my school. The fairly universal consensus among most of them and their colleagues is that BMI is antiquated and useless, especially considering that most of the people in those fields are performance athletes without a fatty among them and ALL of them are fit, trim, and toned..and "obese" or "overweight" according to the BMI charts.

On top of that, being a little "overweight" might actually be kind of good for you. (Obesity Paradox.)

That being said, my goal weight is in the "overweight" category. I want to be strong, not just skinny. Plus, I have a large frame with a big skeleton. I don't look good with less than 160 on me, and I feel pretty terrific between 160 - 180. That pretty much tells me where my goal needs to be.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I adjusted my goal by 5 lbs just so I could get into the "normal" range for the BMI -- figured if I was that close, might as well.

That said, my primary concern is a weight that I am comfortable with and most importantly sustainable in the long term, given my lifestyle. I would much prefer a reasonable weight with a higher BMI that I can sustain, than trying to maintain something that is frankly too low (no matter what my BMI says) .
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Yes, indeed. I have been as heavier (documented) as 283; undocumented 300. In 2007, when I started WW I was 274. I have been over weight all my life (was a chubby kid). Per medical charts at 5.6 1/2 and bone structure, I should weight 160. At the age of 53, that does not seam realistic to me. I heard on a radio program that most people can carry 30 more then what's on that chart and still be healthy. When I start MFP in April, my main goals were (and still is) was to get of 2 BP meds. As of Friday, I am down to 1. My other goal was to weight less then 200. My current low goal is to weight 185/192 or what ever get's me off BP meds and a size 12. I am not diabetic nor do I have cholestoral (sp??) problems or other health issues related to diet. I think my goals are reasonable. Plus I know my husband does not want a skinny wife. :love:
  • jmoliveson
    jmoliveson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I plan on keeping my weight in the high range for my BMI at 145. I am 5.0 but want to keep my muscles. In the past I have lost weight by fasting and excersing only to find that I lost muscle and even had people make comments that my legs looked better with more wieght. My frame is large for my height and I have a good foundation of muscles so my goal is to slim down and tone up. Unfortunately if I start lifting weights now I will most likely gain not lose. The most important thing is that you are happy and healthy with your weight. Who cares what the BMI says, its wrong anyways for those who are muscular so do what's best for you.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    my weight is in the "overweight" range for BMI. I was right at the top of the healthy BMI range at 22% body fat, then I decided to do a bulk. I'm short and have a large frame plus I lift heavy weights. My lean body mass is in the healthy range for my height (LBM somewhere between 102-107lb depending on how I measure body fat percentage, the healthy weight range for my height is 100-132lb) ....and there are women of my height and even a little taller than me whose entire weight is less than my lean body mass. I'm planning on staying in the healthy body fat percentage range, IMO I look and function best with my body fat around 22-25%, and I gain muscle fairly easily for a woman (IMO that's a good thing :drinker: and fairly easy for a woman means it's very difficult, btw!!) so I'm quite happy to be in the "overweight" range for my height. Yay for neanderthal genes! :drinker:

seltzermint - when you get to around your ideal weight, check your body fat percentage, the healthy range for women is 18-28% and 35%+ is obese... these values are the same regardless of height or frame size, because a percentage is a percentage. Plus look at other markers for health and fitness. Body fat precentage is what counts, not BMI The main thing is that you're happy and healthy, not trying to fit in to other people's arbitrary standards.