Senior woman- new here

2024Nanato6
2024Nanato6 Posts: 1 Member
edited September 24 in Introduce Yourself
Hello, I am retired and really need to get my diet under control. My glucose is .1 from being considered a diabetic. I've known this for a couple of yrs and it has just gradually gone up. My starting weight was 206 and one week in I'm now 203.4,so yay for me.Several yrs ago I lost about 30 pounds but have gained it back and a few more. A few months ago I started walking 3 days a week for at least 3 miles each day, some days more,weather permitting. I really enjoy my walks. I would really like to correspond with other women in my age group. Here's to a new and hopefully better me.

Replies

• Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,251 MFP Staff
    Hello and welcome to the community!!

There are some great threads created by our members, stickied to the top of each category that may be helpful. Just look for "Most Helpful Posts - whatever the category name is”.

For example:
    You can also ask your questions in any category that interests you, read posts or questions made by other members, join a group, or add some friends.

Here are some frequently asked questions that may also be helpful: FAQ's
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,773 Member
    Hello, and welcome!

Um, you didn't say what your age group is, other than "senior"? ;)

I'm 68F, been around MFP steadily since 2015, spent a good chunk of my first year losing around 50 pounds, the 8 years since meandering up and down a bit within the resulting healthy weight range (and in the same size jeans, so I call this "maintenance" ;) ).

Congratulations on your 3 pound starting loss: Yay, indeed!

IME, loss rate will vary, and may even appear to stall temporarily, but if at the right average calorie level, weight loss will average out to a continuing loss over a multi-week period . . . even though the day to day or sometimes even week to week will be a little up and down. Focus on that multi-week trend, because the short-term ups and downs can be misleading. ;)

Slow and steady wins this race, and IMO the big prize is figuring out relatively easy, pleasant new habits that keep a person at a healthy weight long term, ideally permanently. Since you're enjoying your walks, that sounds pretty perfect!

I don't walk much myself, other than as incidental to my daily life, so maybe around the 5-7,000 steps range most days in summer. I'm active in other respects, rowing (boats when I can, machines when I must) 4 days most weeks in season, and sometimes biking (on the paved trails when weather permits, stationary bike in Winter). That works for me.

Wishing you success here: The quality of life improvement is worth the effort, and IME age is no barrier.

Best wishes!