LESS Alcohol ~ OCTOBER 2024 ~ One Day at A Time

Replies

• globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,622 Member
    I choose to be AF again today.

I am learning to deal with occasional irritability. Before the glasses of wine took care of that feeling but now I am left to experience it and I can't just can't keep eating it away. Although last night it happened and while dinner was slow to get ready, I "chipped out" on tortilla chips. Maybe 300 calories worth I didn't need. Since I already "messed up" the dinner calories, I proceeded to have a frozen yogurt (ice cream in disguise) for dessert. I wasn't hungry, just following my bad programming to EAT MORE when I am not hungry and "just because" I already "messed up" earlier. The worst part is that I am reinforcing a habit (feeding feelings away I think is just like drinking feelings away, and so trying to change that response pattern so I just get used to observing my feelings and trying to get the undesirable ones to just lessen and go away (without relying on consuming anything).

Mentioning this stuff in case you run into it. In the past, I've talked myself back into drinking a few glasses just to reduce the snack and dessert calories. That plan FAILED a few times since it resulted in a bit of weight loss but increased number of drinks over time. Please don't follow my past stupid moves.

It is human and normal to occasionally feel stressed, anxious, hungry, mad, down, restless, in pain, irritable, etc. and I am working on getting used to experiencing feelings like a normal human. My brain instantly asks for sugar or crunchy food when I experience any of these emotions since the wine is not an option and I am working on correcting this.
  • SurferGirl1982
    SurferGirl1982 Posts: 315 Member
    chicbuc wrote: »
    @SurferGirl1982 One word of advice. Change your words. Don't say you need to keep going. Say "I am going to keep going." You'll still take it one moment at a time, but it doesn't give you an "out." You're doing amazing!!

Advice taken!!!
  • SurferGirl1982
    Womona wrote: »
    Thanks @Womona! But today was my third day in a row. So I have a three day streak 🙂 I only had one other AF day this month...last Monday. I really need to keep going!!!

I stand very much corrected!

Don't be stealing a day away from me...*LOL*

• SurferGirl1982
    I will catch up with everyone else tonight. I have a very busy day today...tomorrow too.

I feel really good this morning (physically and mentally). I'm starting Day 4 AF 🙂
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,166 Member
    I choose to be AF again today.

I am learning to deal with occasional irritability. Before the glasses of wine took care of that feeling but now I am left to experience it and I can't just can't keep eating it away. Although last night it happened and while dinner was slow to get ready, I "chipped out" on tortilla chips. Maybe 300 calories worth I didn't need. Since I already "messed up" the dinner calories, I proceeded to have a frozen yogurt (ice cream in disguise) for dessert. I wasn't hungry, just following my bad programming to EAT MORE when I am not hungry and "just because" I already "messed up" earlier. The worst part is that I am reinforcing a habit (feeding feelings away I think is just like drinking feelings away, and so trying to change that response pattern so I just get used to observing my feelings and trying to get the undesirable ones to just lessen and go away (without relying on consuming anything).

Mentioning this stuff in case you run into it. In the past, I've talked myself back into drinking a few glasses just to reduce the snack and dessert calories. That plan FAILED a few times since it resulted in a bit of weight loss but increased number of drinks over time. Please don't follow my past stupid moves.

It is human and normal to occasionally feel stressed, anxious, hungry, mad, down, restless, in pain, irritable, etc. and I am working on getting used to experiencing feelings like a normal human. My brain instantly asks for sugar or crunchy food when I experience any of these emotions since the wine is not an option and I am working on correcting this.

Very inspiring!

I quit drinking last year then had to do a father of the bride speech and reached for the wine. :(

If I had to do it over again, I would have just manned up and did the speech sober. The bad part is I don't even think it even helped me with the public speaking. The next day the daily drinking continued for another 14 months, and I will never get that time back. I have put the bottle away for good this time and couldn't be happier with my decision.

Love live and learn from your mistakes to not be repeated... :)
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,710 Member
    xbowhunter wrote: »

I quit drinking last year then had to do a father of the bride speech and reached for the wine. :(

If I had to do it over again, I would have just manned up and did the speech sober. The bad part is I don't even think it even helped me with the public speaking. The next day the daily drinking continued for another 14 months, and I will never get that time back. I have put the bottle away for good this time and couldn't be happier with my decision.

Love live and learn from your mistakes to not be repeated... :)

@xbowhunter such a touching paragraph of how you slipped out of your alcohol free life last year during your Daughters wedding. The pressure from society, friends and family is REAL when it comes to these glorified drinking events.

I commend you so very much. You know what you had last year and have made darn sure it is not going to slip away again. <3

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,710 Member
    @SurferGirl1982 is a hotty unfire. You are doing GREAT.