I don't know

Here I am, don't know what I'm doing but started being active at gym, watching what I eat more, researching, experimenting. Training every second day for bit under 2 months now and I feel great. Want to keep it up, I usually have hard time with motivation and gaining muscle weight. Took me 4-5y to start being active and gym again. Be patient with yourself, sometimes little push is enough but it is on you to keep it up. For me it took me big kick in the *kitten*.
Any recommendations on supliments, and vice versa?
Friends, chats, jokes, all welcomed!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member
    Hello, and welcome to the Community!

Supplements? Mostly no, IMO: Good overall nutrition from food is better. If prescribed for some medical reason (like a diagnosed deficiency, or related to a health condition), that's different. I'm talking about supplements in the context of basic nutrition that everyone ideally needs.

I'd go with creatine, though, generally . . . but especially if not routinely eating meat/fish.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 511 Member
    Most informed people who dont sell supplements will say creatine only.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,189 Member
    edited October 8
    Nutrient deficiencies are prevalent in the US population and you should talk with your own doctor who can do a panel for you. Common deficiencies are B6 and 12, vit D, iron, magnesium, vit A but like I said talk with your Doctor. And of course when dieting and consuming fewer calories it just make it worse for the people that actually have a diet where these nutrients are low to begin with. Nutrients from actual food would be the better solution.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 187 Member
    edited October 24
    There are of course medical conditions that require or are helped by supplements. Aging may be one of them - I've toyed with gratitude for athletes who use/abuse PEDs and supplements as pioneers for geriatric use - if doable exercise and anabolic steroids will keep me off assistive walkers or wheelies or oxygen in my 90s I'll be a candidate. My personal rule today is rough macro tracking a high protein diet, with three (Mon/Weds/Fri) stacks of basic vits and minerals including creatine monohydrate (the simple stuff). I suspect bombarding the gut microbiome with exogenous who knows what from whosit brand every single day is likely destructive.
    (Creatine is produced naturally internally. I asked AI whether long term dosing of "exogenous" creatine (5 grams/day) forces the body to slow or stop the body's own internal (endogenous) production. Research confirms over time it will reduce it by as much as 50% - standard supplementing would keep a healthy level, but discontinuing use will cause a temporary shortfall until the body recovers its own natural capabilities. People should satisfy their own curiosity for their own use cases.)