What foods help increase testosterone?

Hi, does any RD know what foods increase testosterone and make for a healthy increase in libido?

Answers

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,963 Member
    edited October 15
    These message boards are not usually used by any registered dietitians. We are mostly just regular folks here. If you want to talk to a registered dietitian you should probably make an in person appointment with one who is local to you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,178 Member
    edited October 15
    T levels in men are generally a combination of factors and in the US testosterone levels are down over 40% on average in men over the last 40 years, since the late 70's and one of the many health factors correlate to that time period with increased health complications mostly known as metabolic syndrome. A lot of this has to do with the general health of men for which over 70% are overweight or obese which will have some form of insulin resistance, generally over 50% and many with pre diabetes and diabetes which directly effect T levels in men. There's a bidirectional relationship with obesity and testosterone levels where one predicts the other. As well, a low(er) fat and higher carb diet and one that also promotes the consumption of fewer animal proteins (meat & diary) and their natural fat will reduce testosterone levels in men by default, which also has been promoted with vigor since the late 70's early 80's, shout out to the USDA.

Besides the basic biology of less saturated fat and cholesterol in the diet reducing T levels, other lifestyle factors are important. Reducing weight if a persons overweight should be first and foremost simply because adipose tissue itself contains the enzyme aromatase, which converts testosterone into estrogen and excess body fat can and does reduce the levels of sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), a protein that binds to testosterone and makes it available for use in the body.

Exercise and specifically weight bearing are almost mandatory to maintain T levels and of course don't smoke or drink excessively and of course sleep is paramount for general health and stress management is another factor not to be discounted.

You can research anything a Doctor, dietitian or a PhD can by using the internet wisely for basically nothing, almost free and now is probably a good time to start and in the mean time you could possibly employ a dietitian and hopefully they know more than just the basics and you get your moneys worth.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,867 Member
    Eat a healthy, varied diet, sleep enough, reduce stress, lift weights.

Seriously, if you've been diagnosed with low T then your doctor should tell you what to do. If you just want to have a higher T, regardless if whether you need it or not: not much you can do.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,129 Member
    Eliminate alcohol.
    Eliminate all processed foods.

Eat natural unprocessed foods and keep your weight in check. I find it very easy to maintain my weight by eating whole foods.

I'm 55 and my T levels are normal or above normal due to the lifestyle I have chosen to live.