Cardio or Strength training?

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    As we sit here with bated breath waiting for your solution to the OP's question.....

If you would do some cardio maybe your breath wouldn't be so bated.

If you think this is bad you should see me after I catch a bus
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    As we sit here with bated breath waiting for your solution to the OP's question.....

If you would do some cardio maybe your breath wouldn't be so bated.

If you think this is bad you should see me after I catch a bus

You poor, out of shape man. I weep for you.
  • Freaky3kirsty
    Freaky3kirsty Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A combination of both, make sure you don't reduce calories too much you body will hold onto calories if it goes into starvation mode
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Do both
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is better for strength training; to build muscle quicker do hypertrophy exercises
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Being argumentative?!!

If I look back at the posts from you lot on here it seems to me that you're every bit as argumentative. You seem unable to stop commenting on my posts. Do you have to have the last word? Are you so insecure that it makes you feel better arguing with someone who you have already identified as being argumentative, on the internet? Wouldn't that be the very definition of pointless?

I also did suggest something to the OP, to think of alternatives to lifting heavy as well. Lifting heavy may well work, but so do a myriad of other options.

Anyway, I believe the church of heavy lifting is about conduct mass, time for you to toddle off and go worship.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    OP, you have been given some great suggestions so far and the best part is that, no matter what you choose to do, if it still isn't working for you, you can always try something else. My recommendation is to firm up with heavy lifting, it has worked for me as well as many, many others (as you can tell by looking at the many threads on the topic and progress pics people have shared). I also recommend a program like stronglifts or starting strength. You can also continue to do some cardio of you like. Eat at a moderate deficit and you will most likely love your progress. If not, change it up and go back to more cardio instead, it is entirely up to you.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is better for strength training; to build muscle quicker do hypertrophy exercises

Hypertrophy exercises? What on earth are they? ALL resistance training causes hypertrophy....
  • stefjc
    Options
    A combination of both, make sure you don't reduce calories too much you body will hold onto calories if it goes into starvation mode

No, it won't.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Being argumentative?!!

If I look back at the posts from you lot on here it seems to me that you're every bit as argumentative. You seem unable to stop commenting on my posts. Do you have to have the last word? Are you so insecure that it makes you feel better arguing with someone who you have already identified as being argumentative, on the internet? Wouldn't that be the very definition of pointless?

I also did suggest something to the OP, to think of alternatives to lifting heavy as well. Lifting heavy may well work, but so do a myriad of other options.

Anyway, I believe the church of heavy lifting is about conduct mass, time for you to toddle off and go worship.

so your suggestion to the OP was for her to think of alternatives to the actual suggestions that actual people actually offered?
  • igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    Anyway, my problem is that I'm not sure if I need to lose more weight or just tone up.

Please never use the word "tone" in this context ever again. You need to lose fat before you can "tone". "Toning" refers to that look which has a low body fat percentage and increased muscle mass. You can't "tone up" whilst having a significant layer of fat on your body.

I still have a tiny bit of fat on my belly and hips that I would like to lose, but I have upped my cardio and lowered my calories for the last several months, and it still hasn't gone away.

You're either doing something wrong or you've hit a plateau.
    Also, what does "tiny" mean in terms of your fat?
    So, I'm wondering if I need to focus more on strength and core training over cardio to tighten up my stomach and hips? Thanks!

Don't ask mfp this question. People on here are very into what they like to call "broscience" over on Bodybuilding.

You can do strength training and lose fat because increased muscle mass = increased metabolism.
    In order to "tighten" your core you need to lose the fat and increase the muscle. Do strength training. Eat a clean diet. Don't rely on the mfp boards for info on this stuff.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Being argumentative?!!

You seem angry and very bitter toward heavy lifting. Did she break up with you? Was it a bad break up, or did she cheat on you? Or, perhaps you need to push around some iron to let go of some of that anger instead, you know, let off some steam? It's very therapeutic.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Hypertrophy exercises? What on earth are they? ALL resistance training causes hypertrophy....

splitting hairs. all exercises strengthen, but their results are based of of weight and reps.

Reps in the 1-5 range build super dense muscle and strength (called myofibrillar hypertrophy).

Reps in the 6-12 range build a somewhat equal amounts of muscular strength and muscular endurance.

Reps in the 12+ range build muscular endurance and size (this is called sarcoplasmic hypertrophy).
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    A deficit got me here:

185 lbs, 16% BF (with cardio)

bodyimage20130508.jpg

Heavy lifting got me here:

185 lbs, 12% BF (no cardio)

20130816frontshot.jpg

I have no clue what works for other people, but if I want to lose BF, I move heavy things around.

Tom

Um.. Ya look pretty muscley in both to me :-)
  • stefjc
    Options
    Please never use the word "tone" in this context ever again. You need to lose fat before you can "tone". "Toning" refers to that look which has a low body fat percentage and increased muscle mass. You can't "tone up" whilst having a significant layer of fat on your body.

No it means your muscles are in a constant state of partial contraction due to ennervation. It has nothing to do with body fat %, muscle mass or the look of a muscle. And you most certainly can have tone with any amount of fat, in fact you simply MUST have tone in all muscles unless they have sustained serious damage, it is essential, constant and totally out of your conscious control.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Being argumentative?!!

You seem angry and very bitter toward heavy lifting. Did she break up with you? Was it a bad break up, or did she cheat on you? Or, perhaps you need to push around some iron to let go of some of that anger instead, you know, let off some steam? It's very therapeutic.

Best way to get over a heavy barbell is to get under another.
  • stefjc
    Options

splitting hairs. all exercises strengthen, but their results are based of of weight and reps.

Reps in the 1-5 range build super dense muscle and strength (called myofibrillar hypertrophy).

Reps in the 6-12 range build a somewhat equal amounts of muscular strength and muscular endurance.

Reps in the 12+ range build muscular endurance and size (this is called sarcoplasmic hypertrophy).

Yeah yeah. I know all of that - I am back in full on lecture mode, term time is starting! I am not splitting hairs just annoyed that my passion for something I gained an education on is so bastardised by the wannabe strength gurus that people here are gulled into using terminology incorrectly - usually thinking they have been well taught. It is a constant form of irritation and at this time of year I get antsy knowing I will be forced to eradicate from any number of brains in order for my students to achieve anything at all!

My apologies - I suspect I have been guilty of snarking quite a few times today. I shall have a glass of red and try to calm down :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Yeah yeah. I know all of that - I am back in full on lecture mode, term time is starting! I am not splitting hairs just annoyed that my passion for something I gained an education on is so bastardised by the wannabe strength gurus that people here are gulled into using terminology incorrectly - usually thinking they have been well taught. It is a constant form of irritation and at this time of year I get antsy knowing I will be forced to eradicate from any number of brains in order for my students to achieve anything at all!

My apologies - I suspect I have been guilty of snarking quite a few times today. I shall have a glass of red and try to calm down :)

well, thank god you're here to educate us all!!!
  • stefjc
    Options
    Just shoot me now! I started here with no intention of doing that!

Reading me back I wasindeed a bad teachery type.

But hey, if you can't accept I meant well, was not trying to snark but am having an attack of the back to work weirds, so be it!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    don't post angry. that goes for everybody.