• stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Can we forget I bit and snarked?

:)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    don't post angry. that goes for everybody.

DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Op, to answer your actual question, rather than getting bogged down in another pointless dog fight, are you happy with your overall size/ weight and just looking to get rid of the excess belly fat? If so, I recommend strength training.
    How you strength train is up to you.

I've lost weight previously by focusing on cardio and a deficit, but my stomach size wouldn't budge relative to my body size. I started truly lifting heavy (which does NOT mean lifting more than you can handle) about a month ago and my waist is down an inch already, while my weight loss overall has slowed. For me, lifting heavy is enjoyable, fits well into my schedule, and is getting my desired results. I still do cardio, just not as much, and again it is because I enjoy the cardio that I do.

I have known other women who got the results they wanted doing HIIT or moderate strength/cardio combinations like 30 Day Shred or Body Pump. I would say find a type of strength training you enjoy, try it for a month, and see what happens. If it isn't doing what you want it to do, try something else.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Being argumentative?!!

If I look back at the posts from you lot on here it seems to me that you're every bit as argumentative. You seem unable to stop commenting on my posts. Do you have to have the last word? Are you so insecure that it makes you feel better arguing with someone who you have already identified as being argumentative, on the internet? Wouldn't that be the very definition of pointless?

I also did suggest something to the OP, to think of alternatives to lifting heavy as well. Lifting heavy may well work, but so do a myriad of other options.

Anyway, I believe the church of heavy lifting is about conduct mass, time for you to toddle off and go worship.

You seem angry and very bitter toward heavy lifting. Did she break up with you? Was it a bad break up, or did she cheat on you? Or, perhaps you need to push around some iron to let go of some of that anger instead, you know, let off some steam? It's very therapeutic.

Best way to get over a heavy barbell is to get under another.

Giggity!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Eating at a modest deficit and lifting weights that are heavy for me has done wonders for my body--both in terms of fat loss and sculpting/shaping the curves. I don't do much in the way of cardio on the machines at the gym, as I find it tedious and not really an effective use of my time. I walk everywhere for transportation, and I also train with kettlebells, which sometimes veers into HIIT territory, depending on my routine that day.

If you're new to strength training, there are a number of great beginners programs you could look into. Starting Strength is the one I used, but Stronglifts 5x5 is all online, and free. New Rules of Lifting for Women is another favourite of the women on this site. I've read the book and think it's great, but haven't personally used the programming myself.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Hi op

I'm afraid I'm another worshipper of the the altar of heavy lifting :bigsmile:

I lost my first 10lbs doing cardio / Jillian Michaels and dieting and while I lost weight my body didn't look much different (I took photos).

In feb I started new rules of lifting for women, I did very little cardio and my diet was shocking but after 2ish months I lost 8" off my body. I look so much better and I've gone down 5 holes on my belt. There are photos on my profile showing the difference in my waist :blushing:

Currently I'm doing NROL4W along with cardio. The lifting will help me keep my muscles and help lose weight, the cardio is for heart health and to lose weight :wink:

If you don't currently do any heavy lifting I say try it for 6 weeks (along with some cardio, maybe HIIT or whatever you enjoy), keep a very small deficit. If you don't like the results or hate lifting then stop and never do it again, but you might be pleasantly surprised with the results.

I know lifting has made my body look better, cured my lower back pain, made general tasks easier plus I feel like such a bad *kitten* doing it :laugh: it might not be for you but it doesn't hurt to try.

Oh and I started with such light weights and worked my way up, heavy is relative. :flowerforyou:
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    clearly your not overweight...maybe more strength training?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Well, so far, the only piece of advice NOT seen on this thread so far is to lay on the couch watching Dr. Oz and sucking on bon-bons.

Wow.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna take a moment out of my daily ritual of praying at the alter of the Heavy Lifting Deity(all hail) and say that I personally, have done very very very little cardio to get me to where I am. It simply doesn't appeal to me on a personal level, but I also walk everywhere I go as part of my everyday life so the notion of more cardio doesn't appeal to me. There is nothing wrong with cardio but I also don't see where it would add anything important to my weight loss (I eat at a deficit for weight loss) or body recomp(that's why I lift heavy.) I certainly don't have issues walking up hills, jogging a mile to the grocery store, or running for buses (but then, I don't drive so I've been running for buses my whole life.) and in fact have more endurance now than before I started lifting.

If you enjoy cardio do it, if you don't screw it. That's my policy anyway. Also:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1053862-look-15-pounds-lighter-in-2-easy-steps-eat-and-lift
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Being argumentative?!!

If I look back at the posts from you lot on here it seems to me that you're every bit as argumentative. You seem unable to stop commenting on my posts. Do you have to have the last word? Are you so insecure that it makes you feel better arguing with someone who you have already identified as being argumentative, on the internet? Wouldn't that be the very definition of pointless?

I also did suggest something to the OP, to think of alternatives to lifting heavy as well. Lifting heavy may well work, but so do a myriad of other options.

Anyway, I believe the church of heavy lifting is about conduct mass, time for you to toddle off and go worship.

so your suggestion to the OP was for her to think of alternatives to the actual suggestions that actual people actually offered?

Actually.

NewSheepAnimated200x270.gif
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    don't post angry. that goes for everybody.

DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO

I like angry posting.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Being argumentative?!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Issues much?

OP: strength, flexibility, and cardio health are all important to general health and fitness. It doesn't have to be either/or. From what I've seen, those that achieve the tummy that it sounds like you are after strength train and eat at a deficit. Some do cardio, some don't.
  • dancer64
    Options
    Okay, so just so everyone knows, I work out 5-7 days a week and eat around 1300 calories a day. I usually do Zumba and BodyCombat for 1 hour 6 days a week. But starting this week, I'm going to add 2 days of CXWork and 1 day of BodyPump into the mix. Do you think that will help me gain a flatter, more defined stomach and lose the last few pounds of excess fat? Or what do you guys recommend? I go to 24 Hour Fitness, so I do the Les Mills classes.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    For where you are at I vote for lifting heavy. It gets you from flabby to flat stomach.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I knew there'd be at least one of the zealots responding to this.

Lift heavy!!

My god they're like mindless robots with only one phrase in their database.

You do not lose weight by lifting heavy, you lose weight by eating at a deficit. You'll do just as well lifting weights that aren't the heaviest you can possibly manage.

this, tho lifting heavy does build muscle faster which in turn will consume more energy to maintain so it's not total phallacy, however if you lift beyond your limits you do more damage then good and will perpetually be in repair mode. Lifting heavy is fine for people who are already adept at lifting weights, if not just lift moderate and push yourself when you can.

but total body resistance is more important, use your own body's weight and add intentional resistance will do a hell of alot more good then lifting dead weights and using machines that target one body part at a time..
    Maybe if you weren't reading "lifting heavy" as 'lift as heavy as you can possibly manage' or 'lift immoderately and push yourself ridiculously hard all the time,' it would make more sense to you.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Okay, so just so everyone knows, I work out 5-7 days a week and eat around 1300 calories a day. I usually do Zumba and BodyCombat for 1 hour 6 days a week. But starting this week, I'm going to add 2 days of CXWork and 1 day of BodyPump into the mix. Do you think that will help me gain a flatter, more defined stomach and lose the last few pounds of excess fat? Or what do you guys recommend? I go to 24 Hour Fitness, so I do the Les Mills classes.

I really don't think your eating enough for the amount of workouts you're doing -do you eat back your exercise calories?

Make sure you have at least one rest day a week to help your body repair itself. I don't know what the classes entail but I'd still stick to my original suggestion of find your TDEE reduce it by 10% and eat that, lift heavy 2/3 days a week with some cardio thrown in for good measure. Get at least one rest day a weeks and give it 6 weeks. See how you look and feel then. Take photos and measurements and stay off the scale for a few week -your weight will go up as your muscles will hold onto water at the start.

By lifting heavy I mean compound lifts at a heavy weigh for you. Try nrol4w or starting strengths :flowerforyou:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You will only get rid of the fat by continuing to lose. Fat does convert to muscle. Continue to create a calorie deficit and do strength training and interval cardio.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    You will only get rid of the fat by continuing to lose. Fat does convert to muscle. Continue to create a calorie deficit and do strength training and interval cardio.

Fat does NOT convert to muscle, other than that carry on. :bigsmile:
  • Cranquistador
    Options

Fat does NOT convert to muscle, other than that carry on. :bigsmile:

EVER.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

tumblr_m5x1abeO9P1rqrf25o1_500.gif