Calories are NOT equal

Options

Replies

• baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    And what in the name of all that's holy is a macro, please? Sounds like something Hubs might put on my computer for playing MMORPGs.

There are three (well, really four if you count alcohol) macros (macronutrient)

Protein, Fats and Carbs.
    there r also some laboratory made macros - sugar alcohols. sweet as sugar but about half the cals.

Um no... there isn't.

He's right. Xylitol, sorbitol, etc. These are used in sugar-free gum and syrup, among other things. They taste sweet and are artificial but still have calories. The difference is they're sweeter than sugar so you need less and each molecule has fewer calories to boot. They're mostly found in nature, but produced synthetically.

Those are considered carbs.
    carbs have about 4cal per gram. these have less.
    Calorie count is irrelevant. Fiber is also considered a carb, yet it has less than 4 calories per gram. A carbohydrate is a molecule containing carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. Sugar alcohols are made from sugar (also a carbohydrate.) Sugar Alcohols are a type of carbohydrate, which is why you will find them under the carbohydrate heading on nutrition labels.
    sorry, not correct. fiber is a carb so it has 4 cals. it is just that r bodies do not digest it well to get all the cals from it. sugar alcohols are a kind alcohol made from carbs. the alcohol that we drink is made from carbs but it is not a carb. it is ethyl alcohol 7cals per gram.

I thought soluble fiber had 2 cals.

yes you are correct, soluble fibre has 2kcal/gram
    its really important that we spread the truth. fiber has 4cal per gram. but u can count soluble fiber as 2cals becuz we do not digest all the cals from it. insoluable fiber can be counted for less than 2.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I have been surprised to find so many people staying under their calorie goal, yet when you see what they eat is shocks me. Yes, they stayed under, BUT they ate crap! Fast food, processed foods, white breads, and soda.

This site is great for calorie counting and nutrition data, but it doesn't teach how to eat to fuel your body the best way possible. You body is not going to burn/use those crap calories the same way healthy foods will. When you eat healthy, your body burns it fast and uses pretty much every bit of that food, but when you eat processed, high sodium and fat foods, you will more then likely store some of that food into fat. Proof? Give a person the same number of calories but one eats all the healthy/clean foods while the other eats the junk. Whose body looks better? Also, it's not just weight gain that's affected, it's your hair and skin health too.

When you eat healthy, you feel healthy :)

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

But it's not just who looks better. It's also about who is healthier. Somehow on this web site healthy =healthy weight. But you can be in healthy weight and exercise regularly but have problems with digestion, or high cholesterol, or other problems that were results of bad diet.

Not all calories are equal. Not all slim people have healthy diets either.

Please describe how you determine who is and who isn't healthy. If you lack a manner in which to quantify 'healthy' then your assertion is kind of lacking legs on which to stand.
  • Goal175lbs
    Goal175lbs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As far as weight loss is concerned, calories are equal. That being said, others factors such as overall health and wellness, blood sugar/diabetic issues, or fitness, calories are not all equal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    @Ninerbuff,

Would you agree then that yes, macro and calories matter, but when one client eats unhealthy and the other healthy, both eating the same macros and calories, one will gain muscle and lose fat faster?? One will have more energy? One will have healthier skin and hair?
    If they are both eating the same macro/micros and calories,regardless of source there physiologically won't be much of a difference.
    If the premise that junk/processed foods will diminish things like performance, health, etc., then somebody better tell some of the most elite athletes in the world (Olympians) to abstain from indulging in them. Michael Phelps has been known to down a couple of large pizzas and fast food to meet CALORIES NEEDED to sustain himself for workouts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Achrya
    Options
    As far as weight loss is concerned, calories are equal. That being said, others factors such as overall health and wellness, blood sugar/diabetic issues, or fitness, calories are not all equal.

Calories are always equal. (200 calories of ice cream is equal to 200 calories of chicken)

Nutritional value between foods is not. (The chicken has more nutritional value.)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I eat healthy every day and never go near my calorie count--and since they over estimate the workout calories I always make sure I have a 100 to 200 deficit daily as well. I am doing fine and going at a slow ads steady pace. BUT my trainer has taken all processed foods from my diet and I do not add salt to my food anymore WITH THE EXCEPT OF EGGS--they are wayyyyy to gross without alittle salt. And this is not a diet for me at this stage--this is a lifestyle change and I am all the better for it!!
    If you can sustain that for life.............then my best to you. One thing I want my clients to feel is happy about their lifestyle change. Especially if they like their ethnic foods (which usually aren't low calorie or unprocessed), denying them that may have them quit or regain weight if they reach goal on a "clean" diet. There's NOTHING wrong with moderation. The only people who are against moderation of foods are going to be people who are food snobs IMO.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Calories are equal in terms of energy.

Nutrients are equal in terms of nutrition.

Get the right amount of energy and the right amount of nutrition and you're golden. Doesn't make a difference if they're in "processed" or "unhealthy" foods.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Maybe you will lose weight regardless, but the point is that you'd be much healthier if you ate healthier. This is true and we know it but I could never give up some of the junk that I eat hahah >:D My honest opinion is that moderation is the key.

The point is that this is nonsense. There's nothing wrong with the "junk" you speak of.

I am not going to sit around and argue with you about the vitamins and nutrients that are essential to our bones, muscles, ligaments, cholesterol levels, heart, skin, hair, nails, eyes, etc. but you should keep that into consideration when you read my comment. :) Eating foods high in cholesterol every day will increase the risk of a heart attack and other issues. I eat in moderation for the sake of my health and satisfication but it's not like I'm telling you to live a certain way. I'm just trying to be open minded here.

Psst, hey you. Yeah you. Here is a little secret.

You ready?

You can...*gasp!* get all of your vitamins and minerals while eating junk food!

I KNOW, CRAZY RIGHT?!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    And what in the name of all that's holy is a macro, please? Sounds like something Hubs might put on my computer for playing MMORPGs.

There are three (well, really four if you count alcohol) macros (macronutrient)

Protein, Fats and Carbs.

I clearly will have a lot to learn regarding this new venture. I try to balance out serving sizes when I'm eating. Generally, my own nutritional rules are:

The more fruits and veggies, the merrier; unless it's starchy veggies like peas which I suspect of smuggling calories to my hips.

Any serving of meat more than 3 ounces at a time is wasted.

Cheese is tasty, but only 2 ounces is one serving. Two ounces is frikkin small. That's too bad, but there it is.

Cheetos and donuts will do you in if you let them.

Just about everything (including restaurant food) is genetically modified. Deliciously genetically modified. Expect to mutate eventually.

Moderation. You can still have a sweet now and then. Just don't om nom nom yourself into double digit sized jeans.

That red solo cup holds sixteen ounces. It looks like one serving, but it is lying. It's really two. Might as well pour Tab in it and risk the cancer from the fake sugar, than the more possible heart attack from the sugars which your body will store as fat.
    Yes you do have a lot to learn. Much broscience here.

IDEA Fitness member
  • whierd
    Options
    I have been surprised to find so many people staying under their calorie goal, yet when you see what they eat is shocks me. Yes, they stayed under, BUT they ate crap! Fast food, processed foods, white breads, and soda.

This site is great for calorie counting and nutrition data, but it doesn't teach how to eat to fuel your body the best way possible. You body is not going to burn/use those crap calories the same way healthy foods will. When you eat healthy, your body burns it fast and uses pretty much every bit of that food, but when you eat processed, high sodium and fat foods, you will more then likely store some of that food into fat. Proof? Give a person the same number of calories but one eats all the healthy/clean foods while the other eats the junk. Whose body looks better? Also, it's not just weight gain that's affected, it's your hair and skin health too.

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

But it's not just who looks better. It's also about who is healthier. Somehow on this web site healthy =healthy weight. But you can be in healthy weight and exercise regularly but have problems with digestion, or high cholesterol, or other problems that were results of bad diet.

Well, then it is simple, really. Give us a measure of how "healthy" is determined.
  • Achrya
    Options

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

Well, then it is simple, really. Give us a measure of how "healthy" is determined.

Hey. I demanded that first. :angry:

Not that anyone ever gives it. It always comes down to handwavey 'take it on faith/my say-so' crap or my favorite "Well you'll see when you're 70." copout.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Genes play a big part of it. Macros for one person may be ok but the same diet would cause high cholesterol in another.

Wut.
    this is true. high cholesterol is genetic. some people are predisposed for high cholesterol. and the have to watch their intake

Watch their intake of... what, exactly?

carbs.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

Please describe how you determine who is and who isn't healthy. If you lack a manner in which to quantify 'healthy' then your assertion is kind of lacking legs on which to stand.

I'm not interested in pointless discussion. It's common knowledge that unhealthy eating habits cause health problems. If you think that healthy weight in combination with junk food is ok for you, that's your life and your health.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Healthy is not quantifiable (that would prove us junk eaters heathy)!!! I do know everyone claiming to be healthier and "eat clean" has a closed diary though.
  • whierd
    Options

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

Hey. I demanded that first. :angry:

Not that anyone ever gives it. It always comes down to handwavey 'take it on faith/my say-so' crap or my favorite "Well you'll see when you're 70." copout.

COME AT ME BRO
  • Achrya
    Options

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

I'm not interested in pointless discussion. It's common knowledge that unhealthy eating habits cause health problems. If you think that healthy weight in combination with junk food is ok for you, that's your life and your health.

So you've got nothing?
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Genes play a big part of it. Macros for one person may be ok but the same diet would cause high cholesterol in another.

Wut.
    this is true. high cholesterol is genetic. some people are predisposed for high cholesterol. and the have to watch their intake

Watch their intake of... what, exactly?

carbs.
    noooo
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that so many people act like 'health' is a big red bar that floats over your head everywhere you go (maybe you can see it if you put on 3-d glasses) and that eating "healthy" foods makes the bar longer, and eating "unhealthy" foods makes the bar shorter.

Under that simpleminded assumption, clean eating certainly does look like a good idea. Except, that's not at all how health is maintained. Even if there were a bar, it would have a limit of how long it could get, 'unhealthy' foods would only NOT move the bar, and you would need quite a bit less than 100% of your caloric intake of 'healthy' foods in order to max out the bar.
  • whierd
    Options
    Healthy is not quantifiable (that would prove us junk eaters heathy)!!! I do know everyone claiming to be healthier and "eat clean" has a closed diary though.

I think it is somewhat quantifiable.

The measures I am thinking of are weight, body fat percentage, blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol levels, etc. But those can be perfect in a person who consumes what others describe as "junk" or "processed" foods.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

Oh well if it's common knowledge you don't need to support your position with evidence or definitions of any kind.

How convenient!