Calories are NOT equal

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

your ticker says you still want to lose 11kg.

if you'd open your mind, you might discover that a lot of things you believe to be true without any evidence, aren't actually true.

...and many of the things you are disputing, actually are true and have evidence to support them.

that new information might make your efforts to lose those last 11kg a bit faster and a bit more enjoyable.

Thank you for your concern but I'm not struggling with my weight loss. I'm loosing weight while been monitored by doctors, and my diet was prescribed for me based on my health issues too.

I actually really enjoy it because I have really good food, and lots of it, and dine out almost every day.

You should open your diary. Most of us have our diaries open so other people can see how and what we eat. It can be informative and helpful for other members.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

if you'd open your mind, you might discover that a lot of things you believe to be true without any evidence, aren't actually true.

...and many of the things you are disputing, actually are true and have evidence to support them.

that new information might make your efforts to lose those last 11kg a bit faster and a bit more enjoyable.

Thank you for your concern but I'm not struggling with my weight loss. I'm loosing weight while been monitored by doctors, and my diet was prescribed for me based on my health issues too.

I actually really enjoy it because I have really good food, and lots of it, and dine out almost every day.

You should open your diary. Most of us have our diaries open so other people can see how and what we eat. It can be informative and helpful for other members.

I think my diary is open. They can clearly see I dont count because I am a ****ing boss
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Pizza is not in fact unhealthy. It's thin fresh bread, good protein from mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, basil, mushrooms. It's pretty healthy actually. Of course if a person is healthy enough to eat it, for instance is not allergic to the ingredients.

Of course I'm talking about a fresh made pizza, not the frozen crap.

What's different about the mushrooms, cheese and tomato on a frozen pizza?

I've never seen a good pizza coming from those frozen things.

Maybe I have not had a good frozen pizza. Maybe we have different definition what a good pizza is.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Pizza is not in fact unhealthy. It's thin fresh bread, good protein from mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, basil, mushrooms. It's pretty healthy actually. Of course if a person is healthy enough to eat it, for instance is not allergic to the ingredients.

When you freeze food, it becomes unhealthy.

So Wendy's is healthy then? Always fresh, never frozen!

Five Guys, too. Fresh potatoes, oil, and ground beef.

Frozen green beans are bad and evil though.

Don't even mention Five Guys, it's one of the things I miss from the mainland. Those fries...:love:
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options

I think my diary is open.
  • jonnythan
    Options

It is not.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

It is not.
    All you have to do is go to My Home, then Settings, then Diary Settings and set to Public.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I have been surprised to find so many people staying under their calorie goal, yet when you see what they eat is shocks me. Yes, they stayed under, BUT they ate crap! Fast food, processed foods, white breads, and soda.

This site is great for calorie counting and nutrition data, but it doesn't teach how to eat to fuel your body the best way possible. You body is not going to burn/use those crap calories the same way healthy foods will. When you eat healthy, your body burns it fast and uses pretty much every bit of that food, but when you eat processed, high sodium and fat foods, you will more then likely store some of that food into fat. Proof? Give a person the same number of calories but one eats all the healthy/clean foods while the other eats the junk. Whose body looks better? Also, it's not just weight gain that's affected, it's your hair and skin health too.

When you eat healthy, you feel healthy :)

What do YOU think?

I think WTF does it have to do with you what I or anyone else eats, quite happy with my slow, steady 98lb in 18 month loss whilst eating "junk" thank you very much! And my hair and skin are just fine too :flowerforyou:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

Maybe I have not had a good frozen pizza. Maybe we have different definition what a good pizza is.

are we talking about tasty or healthy?
  • jonnythan
    Options

are we talking about tasty or healthy?

When you're on the ropes, juke and confuse. Gives you a chance to slip away.
  • bdo7
    bdo7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right.

Some calories are much more delicious than others.
  • ruejacobs
    Options
    And what in the name of all that's holy is a macro, please? Sounds like something Hubs might put on my computer for playing MMORPGs.

There are three (well, really four if you count alcohol) macros (macronutrient)

Protein, Fats and Carbs.

I clearly will have a lot to learn regarding this new venture. I try to balance out serving sizes when I'm eating. Generally, my own nutritional rules are:

The more fruits and veggies, the merrier; unless it's starchy veggies like peas which I suspect of smuggling calories to my hips.

Any serving of meat more than 3 ounces at a time is wasted.

Cheese is tasty, but only 2 ounces is one serving. Two ounces is frikkin small. That's too bad, but there it is.

Cheetos and donuts will do you in if you let them.

Just about everything (including restaurant food) is genetically modified. Deliciously genetically modified. Expect to mutate eventually.

Moderation. You can still have a sweet now and then. Just don't om nom nom yourself into double digit sized jeans.

That red solo cup holds sixteen ounces. It looks like one serving, but it is lying. It's really two. Might as well pour Tab in it and risk the cancer from the fake sugar, than the more possible heart attack from the sugars which your body will store as fat.
    Yes you do have a lot to learn. Much broscience here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm not altogether sure what broscience is. I like seeing someone with actual qualifications behind their name to back up nutritional advice, though.

Broscience is what people state without having any factual evidence to back it up and is often incorrect.

Serving size and large food receptacles:
    That's documented. The larger the food receptacle, the more we pile on our plate and the longer our brain takes to tell us we're full as we eat. The smaller the food receptacle, the quicker our brains tell us we're full and to stop eating. Visual cues and presentation of food does really count.

Proteins and waste:
    Well, I suppose that the protein bit might be only applicable to myself. I'm not an active sort. Making a bed leaves me winded sometimes. So there's not much of a need to eat more than 3 ounces of protein to fuel the teensy amount of physical activity I presently generate.

Sweets and moderation:
    My sister, who lost 35 lbs under the strict guidance of an expert and won a weight loss and fitness challenge and was featured in a magazine for it, did not sneer at the cookies on a plate during a family celebration, and I do not think she over-exerted herself exercising after to purge herself of those sweets which she accepted. She was moderate in her consumption and had like one or two, I think. Enough to enjoy herself but not feel guilty. In fact, most successful dieters, myself included (when I diet) tend to reward themselves from time to time with a sweet with no real detriment to their over-all weight-loss. It's the ones who abstain, abstain, abstain who end up eventually caving in and finding themselves eating a whole box of Krispy Kremes at the front of the donut shop at midnight.

Genetically modified:
    Nope, I don't actually expect to mutate. But it is good to be aware that most of the foods we consume here in the U.S. are going to have some tie to genetic modification. That doesn't mean to flee from that food, but to monitor just what the heck we're sticking in our craws at any time. If I eat a nice healthy meal at say a Village Inn, I'm going to expect that the foods were bought as cheaply as possible and the cheapest foods on the market are always modified, so I'm expecting that the manger practices good business sense to keep production prices down and pass the savings onto the customer in an effort to keep his business viable in a competitive market.

I'm enjoying this discussion, because I love learning new things, but if I am wrong in this, please let me know. The protein and GM I actually read about in articles from reputable sources (not on the net) or actually observed in practical application in my work in the food industry and personal observation from watching my family members struggle with weight.

I might not respond til later, though. Hubs wanted to run an MMO with me tonight and he is waiting patiently for me to finish typing so we can spend some time together.

Tell me what I'm doing wrong here, and I will check it out. I'd love expert advice on weight loss and fitness.
    :)
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I think the point is that if you ate 1200 calories of twinkies every day compared to 1200 calories of veggies and other healthy stuff.. you are not going to have proper nutrition and you are not going to be very healthy or feel healthy even if youre losing weight.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    And what in the name of all that's holy is a macro, please? Sounds like something Hubs might put on my computer for playing MMORPGs.

There are three (well, really four if you count alcohol) macros (macronutrient)

Protein, Fats and Carbs.

I clearly will have a lot to learn regarding this new venture. I try to balance out serving sizes when I'm eating. Generally, my own nutritional rules are:

The more fruits and veggies, the merrier; unless it's starchy veggies like peas which I suspect of smuggling calories to my hips.

Any serving of meat more than 3 ounces at a time is wasted.

Cheese is tasty, but only 2 ounces is one serving. Two ounces is frikkin small. That's too bad, but there it is.

Cheetos and donuts will do you in if you let them.

Just about everything (including restaurant food) is genetically modified. Deliciously genetically modified. Expect to mutate eventually.

Moderation. You can still have a sweet now and then. Just don't om nom nom yourself into double digit sized jeans.

That red solo cup holds sixteen ounces. It looks like one serving, but it is lying. It's really two. Might as well pour Tab in it and risk the cancer from the fake sugar, than the more possible heart attack from the sugars which your body will store as fat.
    Yes you do have a lot to learn. Much broscience here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm not altogether sure what broscience is. I like seeing someone with actual qualifications behind their name to back up nutritional advice, though.

Broscience is what people state without having any factual evidence to back it up and is often incorrect.

Serving size and large food receptacles:
    That's documented. The larger the food receptacle, the more we pile on our plate and the longer our brain takes to tell us we're full as we eat. The smaller the food receptacle, the quicker our brains tell us we're full and to stop eating. Visual cues and presentation of food does really count.

Proteins and waste:
    Well, I suppose that the protein bit might be only applicable to myself. I'm not an active sort. Making a bed leaves me winded sometimes. So there's not much of a need to eat more than 3 ounces of protein to fuel the teensy amount of physical activity I presently generate.

Sweets and moderation:
    My sister, who lost 35 lbs under the strict guidance of an expert and won a weight loss and fitness challenge and was featured in a magazine for it, did not sneer at the cookies on a plate during a family celebration, and I do not think she over-exerted herself exercising after to purge herself of those sweets which she accepted. She was moderate in her consumption and had like one or two, I think. Enough to enjoy herself but not feel guilty. In fact, most successful dieters, myself included (when I diet) tend to reward themselves from time to time with a sweet with no real detriment to their over-all weight-loss. It's the ones who abstain, abstain, abstain who end up eventually caving in and finding themselves eating a whole box of Krispy Kremes at the front of the donut shop at midnight.

Genetically modified:
    Nope, I don't actually expect to mutate. But it is good to be aware that most of the foods we consume here in the U.S. are going to have some tie to genetic modification. That doesn't mean to flee from that food, but to monitor just what the heck we're sticking in our craws at any time. If I eat a nice healthy meal at say a Village Inn, I'm going to expect that the foods were bought as cheaply as possible and the cheapest foods on the market are always modified, so I'm expecting that the manger practices good business sense to keep production prices down and pass the savings onto the customer in an effort to keep his business viable in a competitive market.

I'm enjoying this discussion, because I love learning new things, but if I am wrong in this, please let me know. The protein and GM I actually read about in articles from reputable sources (not on the net) or actually observed in practical application in my work in the food industry and personal observation from watching my family members struggle with weight.

I might not respond til later, though. Hubs wanted to run an MMO with me tonight and he is waiting patiently for me to finish typing so we can spend some time together.

Tell me what I'm doing wrong here, and I will check it out. I'd love expert advice on weight loss and fitness.
    :)

What does protein have to do with making beds?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I think the point is that if you ate 1200 calories of twinkies every day compared to 1200 calories of veggies and other healthy stuff.. you are not going to have proper nutrition and you are not going to be very healthy or feel healthy even if youre losing weight.

I'd still have 700 calories left for other stuff though. I bet I could make it work.
  • jonnythan
    Options

It was only a matter of time before the whole "if you ate nothing but twinkies" argument showed up.

If you ate nothing but twinkies your macro and micro intakes would be totally shot. No one, no one, no one is talking about that at all. What we are talking about is appropriate nutrient intakes in the context of only "healthy" food versus "whatever kind of food you want."
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    MLK had a dream that they were.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Oh well looks like another one of those threads where the OP deliberately throws a loaded gun into a topic and waits to see who is left standing at the end :ohwell:
  • OffTheBeatenPath
    OffTheBeatenPath Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am a larger woman, I am considered obese by many terms. This is the first time in I don't know how long that I have been able to lose weight and keep it off over a long period. When I say long period I mean over 2 weeks, because that is when I usually give up. I think ANY doctor would want me to lose the weight in the way that I can and continue to do so without giving up. If I was to throw everything out and go to the foods that YOU want me to eat, I would of said screw that and given up. However since it is me and not anyone else, I will do what is good for me. I have been using MFP just a hare over a month and you can see I am making a difference in my weight.

I think that slow changes are better than no changes. Is it important to be more conscientious of what you eat, heck yea that is how you lose weight. Do you have to give up everything and start new to lose weight, no. In fact I hardly ever exercise, I lead a very sedentary lifestyle.

I am curious about one thing though, where do you get the time to go roaming around other peoples diaries? Where do you get off by telling people what is right for them? I am in my senior year in getting my Bachelor’s Degree and if you were to make that statement in a classroom setting you would be blasted since you have no way to support it. When I say support it I mean by an accredited source, which Wikis, blogs, and a diet site is not an accredited source. You want a source that can stand on its own.

The one thing that I have found is you can get on a higher perch than other people and proclaim how much better you are than everyone else, just so you can feel better about yourself, or you can give positive feedback that will help encourage people instead of tearing them down. I think that this is something that you truly need to think about working on. Maybe people wouldn’t have blasted you so horribly bad if you had given sources, and not been so snarky and nasty on your post.

I feel like you about going past 2 weeks - a great accomplishment. I'm in my 4th month here and I am so grateful for that accomplishment. Hang in there because its real nice (in my opinion) when others notice it and tell you how different you look. its great when renewed energy comes back and stuff like being able to tie shoes better happens.

I spend a lot of time on the internet here, and I check out people's diaries for information to see what they eat, especially the ones who claim they eat Poptarts, fried chicken, ice cream, and pizza on a regular basis.. I even put up a topic about it.. then i found it - it was not as i interpreted it. these people really do eat that stuff on a very limited basis.

I myself try to write in a "customer service" type way such i am writing here, but thats how i talk most of the time.. except when a harsh word is appropriate.

I cant say anything about anyone else, only to say if someone delivers a harsh message, i try to see the truth in what they are saying, and ignore the delivery, and sometimes those are best things i could have heard. Other times if someone really is rude for realz, I i try to gnore it because thats gonna happen along the way. Unless its something blatant like people who hate cats and are mean to them .. THEN I get uppity!!!!

I understand what you are saying. From my view point, my ex husband believed that the best way to motivate me was to tear me down and to make me feel like crap when I wasn't doing it the way he thought that I should do it. I always seemed to fail. When I would make really good progress he would intentionally sabotage me so that he could then make me feel bad because I failed. So when she comes out here throwing her opinions around and making what other people eat such a big deal and belittling them for their choices I become very upset. Who is to say that someone who is really trying and sees her post thinks that they have failed, so they give up? The only thing belittling other people will get you is the sense of accomplishment that you were able to make yourself look and feel better than someone else.

I would of had no problem with her post if she had not been so snippy and belittling to people in the way they were dieting. She claims she is happy that she started a dialog, when in fact I think she did more harm than good for some people. Weight is a sensitive issue for many people and if they believe that they are failing they are going to giving up. I thought that the forums were to be encouraging and supportive to people. The initial post was anything but that.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I like tacos.

According to your avatar, you prefer chimichangas.