Calories are NOT equal

Options

Replies

• tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You can look at my dairy we go eat out once in a while, and I stay within my calories and losing weight. If it becomes a problem let me worry about it, I don't know why anyone should care how someone uses their calories.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Oh well if it's common knowledge you don't need to support your position with evidence or definitions of any kind.

How convenient!

As far as I can tell, the reasoning is "Well if you eat whole, unprocessed foods you will be healthier because...well...they are healthy! Everyone knows that!!" which is flawed on several levels.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Healthy is not quantifiable (that would prove us junk eaters heathy)!!! I do know everyone claiming to be healthier and "eat clean" has a closed diary though.

I think it is somewhat quantifiable.

The measures I am thinking of are weight, body fat percentage, blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol levels, etc. But those can be perfect in a person who consumes what others describe as "junk" or "processed" foods.

You shut your mouth!!! If we were to quantify it... What would that mean to all the celery suckers?
  • whierd
    Options
    Healthy is not quantifiable (that would prove us junk eaters heathy)!!! I do know everyone claiming to be healthier and "eat clean" has a closed diary though.

The measures I am thinking of are weight, body fat percentage, blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol levels, etc. But those can be perfect in a person who consumes what others describe as "junk" or "processed" foods.

You shut your mouth!!! If we were to quantify it... What would that mean to all the celery suckers?

They just don't want to admit they are eating awful tasting foods for nothing.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I have been surprised to find so many people staying under their calorie goal, yet when you see what they eat is shocks me. Yes, they stayed under, BUT they ate crap! Fast food, processed foods, white breads, and soda.

This site is great for calorie counting and nutrition data, but it doesn't teach how to eat to fuel your body the best way possible. You body is not going to burn/use those crap calories the same way healthy foods will. When you eat healthy, your body burns it fast and uses pretty much every bit of that food, but when you eat processed, high sodium and fat foods, you will more then likely store some of that food into fat. Proof? Give a person the same number of calories but one eats all the healthy/clean foods while the other eats the junk. Whose body looks better? Also, it's not just weight gain that's affected, it's your hair and skin health too.

When you eat healthy, you feel healthy :)

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

But it's not just who looks better. It's also about who is healthier. Somehow on this web site healthy =healthy weight. But you can be in healthy weight and exercise regularly but have problems with digestion, or high cholesterol, or other problems that were results of bad diet.

Not all calories are equal. Not all slim people have healthy diets either.

Well, then it is simple, really. Give us a measure of how "healthy" is determined.

Hey. I demanded that first. :angry:

Not that anyone ever gives it. It always comes down to handwavey 'take it on faith/my say-so' crap or my favorite "Well you'll see when you're 70." copout.

COME AT ME BRO

tumblr_mpcp61zdxv1qg4blro3_500.gif
  • ruejacobs
    Options
    And what in the name of all that's holy is a macro, please? Sounds like something Hubs might put on my computer for playing MMORPGs.

There are three (well, really four if you count alcohol) macros (macronutrient)

Protein, Fats and Carbs.

I clearly will have a lot to learn regarding this new venture. I try to balance out serving sizes when I'm eating. Generally, my own nutritional rules are:

The more fruits and veggies, the merrier; unless it's starchy veggies like peas which I suspect of smuggling calories to my hips.

Any serving of meat more than 3 ounces at a time is wasted.

Cheese is tasty, but only 2 ounces is one serving. Two ounces is frikkin small. That's too bad, but there it is.

Cheetos and donuts will do you in if you let them.

Just about everything (including restaurant food) is genetically modified. Deliciously genetically modified. Expect to mutate eventually.

Moderation. You can still have a sweet now and then. Just don't om nom nom yourself into double digit sized jeans.

That red solo cup holds sixteen ounces. It looks like one serving, but it is lying. It's really two. Might as well pour Tab in it and risk the cancer from the fake sugar, than the more possible heart attack from the sugars which your body will store as fat.
    Yes you do have a lot to learn. Much broscience here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm not altogether sure what broscience is. I like seeing someone with actual qualifications behind their name to back up nutritional advice, though.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    beating-dead-horse2_zps10802901.gif
  • ruejacobs
    Options

Celery is yummy with loads of peanut butter or cheese in a can on it. :(
  • whierd
    Options
    tumblr_mpcp61zdxv1qg4blro3_500.gif

tumblr_mqb89v1daU1sagohdo1_500.gif
  • whierd
    Options

Only if you don't eat the actual celery and it is used as a utensil.
  • highervibes
    Options

As a vessel, not a main course! lol
  • Achrya
    Options

So what you're saying is...peanut butter and cheese are yummy?

Few would argue with you there.
  • whierd
    Options
    And what in the name of all that's holy is a macro, please? Sounds like something Hubs might put on my computer for playing MMORPGs.

There are three (well, really four if you count alcohol) macros (macronutrient)

Protein, Fats and Carbs.

I clearly will have a lot to learn regarding this new venture. I try to balance out serving sizes when I'm eating. Generally, my own nutritional rules are:

The more fruits and veggies, the merrier; unless it's starchy veggies like peas which I suspect of smuggling calories to my hips.

Any serving of meat more than 3 ounces at a time is wasted.

Cheese is tasty, but only 2 ounces is one serving. Two ounces is frikkin small. That's too bad, but there it is.

Cheetos and donuts will do you in if you let them.

Just about everything (including restaurant food) is genetically modified. Deliciously genetically modified. Expect to mutate eventually.

Moderation. You can still have a sweet now and then. Just don't om nom nom yourself into double digit sized jeans.

That red solo cup holds sixteen ounces. It looks like one serving, but it is lying. It's really two. Might as well pour Tab in it and risk the cancer from the fake sugar, than the more possible heart attack from the sugars which your body will store as fat.
    Yes you do have a lot to learn. Much broscience here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm not altogether sure what broscience is. I like seeing someone with actual qualifications behind their name to back up nutritional advice, though.

Broscience is what people state without having any factual evidence to back it up and is often incorrect.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I have been surprised to find so many people staying under their calorie goal, yet when you see what they eat is shocks me. Yes, they stayed under, BUT they ate crap! Fast food, processed foods, white breads, and soda.

This site is great for calorie counting and nutrition data, but it doesn't teach how to eat to fuel your body the best way possible. You body is not going to burn/use those crap calories the same way healthy foods will. When you eat healthy, your body burns it fast and uses pretty much every bit of that food, but when you eat processed, high sodium and fat foods, you will more then likely store some of that food into fat. Proof? Give a person the same number of calories but one eats all the healthy/clean foods while the other eats the junk. Whose body looks better? Also, it's not just weight gain that's affected, it's your hair and skin health too.

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

But it's not just who looks better. It's also about who is healthier. Somehow on this web site healthy =healthy weight. But you can be in healthy weight and exercise regularly but have problems with digestion, or high cholesterol, or other problems that were results of bad diet.

Please describe how you determine who is and who isn't healthy. If you lack a manner in which to quantify 'healthy' then your assertion is kind of lacking legs on which to stand.

I'm not interested in pointless discussion. It's common knowledge that unhealthy eating habits cause health problems. If you think that healthy weight in combination with junk food is ok for you, that's your life and your health.
    And painful activities cause pain. Unhealthy eating is unhealthy. Gee, really?

What you fail to notice is that nothing establishes that eating 'processed' (or whatever) foods is unhealthy. You just made that part up and then drew conclusions based on it.
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    Options
    Maybe you will lose weight regardless, but the point is that you'd be much healthier if you ate healthier. This is true and we know it but I could never give up some of the junk that I eat hahah >:D My honest opinion is that moderation is the key.

The point is that this is nonsense. There's nothing wrong with the "junk" you speak of.

I am not going to sit around and argue with you about the vitamins and nutrients that are essential to our bones, muscles, ligaments, cholesterol levels, heart, skin, hair, nails, eyes, etc. but you should keep that into consideration when you read my comment. :) Eating foods high in cholesterol every day will increase the risk of a heart attack and other issues. I eat in moderation for the sake of my health and satisfication but it's not like I'm telling you to live a certain way. I'm just trying to be open minded here.

Psst, hey you. Yeah you. Here is a little secret.

You ready?

You can...*gasp!* get all of your vitamins and minerals while eating junk food!

I KNOW, CRAZY RIGHT?!

I'm pretty sure that I've stated this before, but I.. psst! eat junk food, too! Bummer.
    They are called "junk" because they are higher in calories, salt, and sugar while being lower in nutrition.
    Raw vegetables do hold more vitamins than overly cooked ones.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=raw-veggies-are-healthier&page=2

I already said that I eat in moderation and I advocate nothing.
    I was just attempting to look at both sides of the grass.
    Once again. I eat both in moderation so obviously I'm not obsessed about eating healthy and there's no point in trying to convince me to take back my simple opinion.
    Good day.

**About the heart health and cholesterol: I did not know that but now I do so thanks I guess.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

Please describe how you determine who is and who isn't healthy. If you lack a manner in which to quantify 'healthy' then your assertion is kind of lacking legs on which to stand.

I'm not interested in pointless discussion. It's common knowledge that unhealthy eating habits cause health problems. If you think that healthy weight in combination with junk food is ok for you, that's your life and your health.

So you've got nothing?

I find your questions and behavior to be ridiculous and childish, and refuse to waste my time explaining common knowledge.
  • highervibes
    Options

What do YOU think?

I absolutely agree.

So you've got nothing?

I find your questions and behavior to be ridiculous and childish, and refuse to waste my time explaining common knowledge.

yup, nothing!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I may have missed it among all these pages, but I don't recall seeing the OP state what she is now able to do with her awesome healthy body that she acquired because of clean eating. Come on, impress us with amazing things that I could never do because I ate pizza for lunch.
  • whierd
    Options

Well, I'm asking you the same question because it is my stance that, other than what I previously stated, you cannot establish measurables for health that cannot be met by a person who eats a diet that you would consider unhealthy.
  • Achrya
    Options

So you've got nothing?

It's fine to admit that you have no way to quantify who is healthier in a manner that will back up your claims.

Me, for example, I think healthy is measure by healthy weights, physical fitness/ability, blood levels,...you know, stuff like that. All of these things can be measured and observed, and thus are relevant to a conversation about health. These measures say that I, with my my soda drinking, Wendy's eating, baked goods inhaling habits, am not just in good health but am in great health (according to my doctor as of late last month.)

I wonder if you have some other kind of measure that disputes this. If yes then what is it? If no than what the hell are you talking about? You say it's about who is healthier, but then don't define how you gauge health.