Calories are NOT equal

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

When you eat healthy, you feel healthy :)

Quite possibly, however, it depends on your definition of 'healthy'.

I agree. I think a lot of that tends to be a state of mind.
  • Ximana
    Options
    People process foods differently but I do think your right

For instance I feel better on a high carb low fat and low protein low dairy diet

But some people excel on higher protein diets

But health is health and by far more important than just a little weight loss
  • MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This debate seems fairly ridiculous when you consider that the following two statements are pretty much universally agreed to be true:

1.) Calories in versus calories out is what determines *weight* (not necessarily *fat*) gain or loss.
    2.) Eating a variety of fresh, real, "whole" foods will do much better at providing the nutrients one needs for overall health and vitality than eating garbage.

Can anyone actually argue with those points?

If not, then why are we fighting about it? ;)
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Remember this in a year so I can prove you wrong lol.

I have been working hard at my fitness, I WILL NEVER CUT WHITE BREAD, :angry: I dont care how many people say its bad for you, people need good carbs and like my white bad carbs, its fuel, I eat it, it tastes yum and I dont feel like its a chore I need to eat for example brown/multigrain or cruskets.

:heart: Potatoe
    :heart: White bread
    :heart: coke and pepsi max......:drinker: but i have only been drinking water......I know what I can and cant sacrifice for my journey. But i wont eliminate my favorite foods for no one. id rather spend 3 hours a day killing myself working out then eating food that doesn't satisfy me.

People posting facts should post links, I like to research when I am bored, but I don't go out of my way to be hated. Theres a do and a dont about myfitnesspal. Dont be a hater, pick on someones journey, tell them what to eat or mention anything about a quick fix. Be a supporter, a mentor and living proof that the real hard work pays off......everyone works hard differently. Things work differently for different people.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much what I want, when I want
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I have been surprised to find so many people staying under their calorie goal, yet when you see what they eat is shocks me. Yes, they stayed under, BUT they ate crap! Fast food, processed foods, white breads, and soda.

This site is great for calorie counting and nutrition data, but it doesn't teach how to eat to fuel your body the best way possible. You body is not going to burn/use those crap calories the same way healthy foods will. When you eat healthy, your body burns it fast and uses pretty much every bit of that food, but when you eat processed, high sodium and fat foods, you will more then likely store some of that food into fat. Proof? Give a person the same number of calories but one eats all the healthy/clean foods while the other eats the junk. Whose body looks better? Also, it's not just weight gain that's affected, it's your hair and skin health too.

What do YOU think?
    What do I think? I think people should mind their own business and just worry about what they put in their own mouth and stop trying to dictate what everybody else should eat.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This debate seems fairly ridiculous when you consider that the following two statements are pretty much universally agreed to be true:

1.) Calories in versus calories out is what determines *weight* (not necessarily *fat*) gain or loss.
    2.) Eating a variety of fresh, real, "whole" foods will do much better at providing the nutrients one needs for overall health and vitality than eating garbage.

I hope no one is eating garbage..if by garbage you mean the stuff you tend to throw out in the dumpster.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it."

Gandhi
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

captain crunch with crunch berries is processed like HELL but very nutritious. and tasty!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    With regards to weight loss, a calorie is a calorie, in my opinion. With regards to nutrition and over all wellness, all calories are NOT equal.

Agreed. :drinker:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    captain crunch with crunch berries is processed like HELL but very nutritious. and tasty!

did-we-just-become-best-friends-yep-1.gif
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    If chocolate chip cookies are wrong, I don't want to be right
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

No cholesterol
    Very high in iron
    Very high in niacin
    Very high in riboflavin
    Very high in thiamin
    Very high in vitamin B6
    Very high in zinc

357lrt.jpg
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    For me it's about sustainability and adherence. I would have no chance to sustain a 100% 'clean' (by whatever definition) diet. I've tried it. And tried it. And tried it again. Every time I did the 'no processed food, no sugar, no junk food diet', I'd end up just going crazy and eating half the convenience store and beating myself up for having no willpower and ending up heavier than before because I 'ruined' my diet having that Twinkie and that bag of Doritos.

Now, thank God, I've learned that I don't have to cut out things I enjoy. I can still have them in moderation: I just take care of my macros and micros first, (fiber too) and to do that, I pretty much have to make some fairly decent choices first. But I never feel deprived, if I want a Twinkie and some Doritos, I will usually have angel food cake and a small bag of baked chips instead. Or maybe even the real things if I'm feeling naughty. :laugh: I don't worry about going over in sugar or sodium, eating organic, or avoiding processed food. As for fast food I probably eat at Subway 5 days a week. It's a healthy, flexible and sustainable eating plan, not a diet, and will work for a lifetime of maintenance, not just for weight loss.

Edited to say: Yes! Love the Captain Crunch. I am buying a box tomorrow, I'd forgotten how good it was. :love:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I have been surprised to find so many people staying under their calorie goal, yet when you see what they eat is shocks me. Yes, they stayed under, BUT they ate crap! Fast food, processed foods, white breads, and soda.

This site is great for calorie counting and nutrition data, but it doesn't teach how to eat to fuel your body the best way possible. You body is not going to burn/use those crap calories the same way healthy foods will. When you eat healthy, your body burns it fast and uses pretty much every bit of that food, but when you eat processed, high sodium and fat foods, you will more then likely store some of that food into fat. Proof? Give a person the same number of calories but one eats all the healthy/clean foods while the other eats the junk. Whose body looks better? Also, it's not just weight gain that's affected, it's your hair and skin health too.

What do YOU think?

What do I think? I think that your entire post is BS and untrue. Sodium isn't stored as fat. Processed food isn't defacto stored as fat. Heck, neither is dietary fat.

Also, there are plenty of people on here who enjoy their treats and have amazing bodies.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    what do I think?

I think everybody's on their own journey on here, I care far more that people get to their goals than how they got there and that their lifestyle is now sustainable

I suspect your eating good/ bad dilemma lies within yourself, it's the internal debate you need to resolve,

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be an interesting discussion about bomb calorimitry Vs the human gut. :grumble:
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Calories are a measure, like inches or litres. It is nonsense to sat they are unequal. Try comparing two inches and tell me they are unequal!

Eating healthy is good, eating unhealthy is bad, nothing to do with calories or weight loss, simply the effect on your health. Consider this though, if you cut out all the unhealthy stuff from your diet and eat only 'healthy' food, you are likely to fail as the change may be too radical. If you fit your unhealthy stuff within your daily calorie allowance in smaller quantities and in a mix with more 'healthy' food, you are more likely to succeed and you will lose weight. And simply losing weight will benefit your health.