No one cares what I'm accomplishing

Options
1235»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey guy's. Lately I've realized that my own glee when I accomplish some diet or exercise feat is not enough to get me to push myself more.

My entire family has no problem exercising, so when I come to them saying something like 'I just reached a goal I've been trying to accomplish for a month( a 5k run)' They act bored and say 'good for you, now go stretch'

Today, I sliced 5 minutes off my best time on a run. When I got home I told my father, and he didn't even look away from his game of solitaire or make any acknowledgment of me saying something.

Why am I doing this if no one cares? I honestly don't want to only bi*ch about my family, but I need another venue to get motivation from. Even if someone smiled and nodded when I mentioned something I've been working super hard on would be nice.

why should they? yes it would be nice if they said 'well done on the PB' but really, what difference does it make? or do you only exercise for thier approval?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, just curious, your profile says you are a female but your profile descriptions implies that you are a guy, can you clarify? And if you are a guy, why would you say you are female?

ETA: I'm just confused with the kilt, time lord stuff going on.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why am I doing this if no one cares?

I don't know. I guess if you only care about external praise and you're not getting it, stop doing it.

I don't do anything fitness related for anyone but me. I could not possibly care less if anyone else cares.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I know, but on hard days, unless I am noticed, I end up screwing over my entire plan.It's like a relapse, and it can last for weeks, which just hurts when I worked so much for results.

I would seriously consider why you take other people's acknowledgement so much to heart. I think there are other issues at work here.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager, I excelled in numerous sports. My parents never came to one of my events or any one of my tennis matches. The important thing is to do things for yourself and glow in your own successes. We can't go through life trying to please other people, make them applaud us. As we get older, we'll have fewer people who care until one day there are none. We still must go on and achieve our best selves.

It's too bad they don't applaud you and I know it would please you. But you need to be motivated by your own accomplishments. At the end of the day, we only have ourselves.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I have MFP friends to tell about my fitness accomplishments, because IRL people don't want to hear about that shiz all the time.

This.

I totally get needing external recognition for motivation. People always behave best when they know they are being watched.

Get active MFP friends.
  • Dunsirn
    Dunsirn Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain - my family are too busy being heroin addicts, alcoholic or dead to give much of a **** about my weightloss.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain - my family are too busy being heroin addicts, alcoholic or dead to give much of a **** about my weightloss.

That sucks. I'm sorry :flowerforyou:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You need to find friends who are working toward similar goals as you are. I play ultimate frisbee every week just to be around people who care about fitness. I go on hikes with groups pf people, because those people have similar goals and interests as I do. I don't need their words to encourage me. But knowing that they are counting on me to show up for the game every week is extremely motivating. Plus they give me pointers and tips on how to improve AND an occasional awesome recipe.

You've got to do it for yourself first and foremost. And people will eventually notice. There is definitely a lot of attention that I am not used to pointed in my direction now and people who knew me back when always make comments about my weight loss and the changes they notice. Next time i go home, my friends are going to be floored at what I look like. I can't wait for that reaction. Pictures on line don't really give the whole picture and when I lived there, I was a lot bigger.

Cant' wait :)
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    OP - Troll!
    I thought so too bc she hadn't posted in soooo long. But, I thought, who would be so miserable that they would go on a msg board and type something like this? What would be the point? :huh: So, if it's a troll, oh, well. It really has issues and needs to post about THAT. If this isn't a troll, then we're just helping with our responses. :smile:
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Family and in general people who dont need to lose weight or do not have this as their priority dont care much. I have had this my entire life..If i eat everything in moderation, my mom always starts off saying you are eating too less.we ate this much and still remained slim..blah blah..what she does not realise is that we have different lifestyles. I have a sedentary job and she had active one. She also had to walk everywhere, whereas i just sit in my car and travel everywhere. I tried to explain and then would give up.
    Now that i have my maturity with me, i dont give much important to what they say. What do they know? I have worked hard to lose this weight even with a baby at home. Managed my work and fitness schedule well so that my family did not feel neglected. Made good choices and learnt moderation which is still hard for me to do. I am doing this for myself and nobody else!
    Even yesterday my mom commented on how i am so obsessed with working out and losing weight..Why? Because i was planning my workout schedule for this week..LOL
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, just curious, your profile says you are a female but your profile descriptions implies that you are a guy, can you clarify? And if you are a guy, why would you say you are female?

ETA: I'm just confused with the kilt, time lord stuff going on.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    As we get older, we'll have fewer people who care until one day there are none.

:sad: :sad: :sad:
    So, if it's a troll, oh, well. It really has issues and needs to post about THAT. If this isn't a troll, then we're just helping with our responses.

It. lol
  • monicastryin
    monicastryin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the comments and someone else has probably already said this, but......
    This is all about YOU and YOU ONLY..... As long as you are worried about what others think or feel you will never feel that you
    have done good. YOU are the only one that matters, in this situation. I know it would feel good to hear "way to go" and "whoop whoops" from your family, but you have to keep going and know that it is ALL ABOUT YOU.