Options
    I kissed girls
    I've done drugs, sex, rock & roll
    On the same girl?

That's what high school is all about!
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    the song was a social statement on the seemingly endless delay experienced in black neighborhoods when 911 was called for a legitimate reason. at least it had some thought behind it rather than a song promoting drug use or violence.
    it was a musical protest.

*shrug*
    [/quote]

I've never heard the song. Now I'm gonna have to go listen to it. But with your description, and knowing the history of issues surrounding response in regards to things like that, I understand more.

Thank you for clarifying. I'm off to find the song.

Sorry I got so angry. It hit a nerve.....that happens to us sometimes, given what we deal with. :embarassed:
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    We are all very aware that OP was quoting a song.... But, we are just pointing out, song quoting or not, that it is an ignorant line to quote or share on such a topic.... why quote something like that? Would you feel the same if your family member died because people thought 911 was a joke and making prank calls, thus having emergency persons responding to pranks??.... It's happened, and it's wrong! THAT is what we are referring to.

I never said 911 was a joke. I just said that I prank called it many times.

Ma'am, I wasn't referring to your post. I was referring to the one who posted that "9-1-1 is a joke"

But you said.. oh forget it :flowerforyou:

LOL, it's all gooooooood! I see what you mean though, I did mention prank calls, which is also what you mentioned, but I was just referring to people who think 911 is a joke (not saying that poster thinks that, referring to the song artist) are usually the ones calling and pranking or calling and screaming like wild animals cause they REALLY do need help. Anywho, this thread has taken a drastic turn away from the original topic. Let's all just but it behind us, gather around a fire, and make some s'mores!!
    :drinker: :bigsmile: :tongue:
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    BTW-- I am not trying to cause waves or anything by this post, I am just very passionate about my career. I take it very serious and to many people see 911 as an "easy" job and think we are morons and really take us for granted. But I am not trying to ruffle anyones feathers!!
    :happy: :wink: :happy:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I did not realize that the comment I was/am angry about was from a song.

It is disgusting that someone would write that, let alone sing about it to make money.

If you've never needed our services, than feel blessed. You don't truly understand what we do, until you do. I hope that anyone that has never needed our services continues to never need them.

Many a firefighter/ems personnel have been hurt or killed in the line of duty. We are not armed, we do not have a way to fight back, yet every day, we will risk our lives to save yours, or you loved ones.

Take a ride on an ambulance one night, or a firetruck. Hold the hand of someone that is trying to survive a horrid tragedy that happened, beit being shot/stabbed/beaten/stung by a bee/eaten the wrong food/had a car accident.... watch the men and women of red run into a house/building and try to save anyone that is in there, all while risking their own lives. See what we do, every day, then you'll understand why that statement made my blood boil.

the song was a social statement on the seemingly endless delay experienced in black neighborhoods when 911 was called for a legitimate reason. at least it had some thought behind it rather than a song promoting drug use or violence.

*shrug*

My husband is a fire department paramedic at a violent inner city fire house.
    There is no "delay".
    There is a timer on the wall that is activated as soon as the run is dispatched.
    Real, fake, prank, 2:00 pm, 2:00 am he goes and he goes fast.
    If the joke is on anyone, it's him.
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yes. There was a homeless man sweaty and sleeping on my bike trail. I woke him, he said he was ok, but immediately passes out again.
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I could never handle the stress of your job. Thank u for doing it!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I have reoccurring theme in my dreams of calling 911 and getting put on hold.

You're getting put on hold due to the high volume of prank calls...:frown:
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have reoccurring theme in my dreams of calling 911 and getting put on hold.

You're getting put on hold due to the high volume of prank calls...:frown:

Ha! :drinker:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    We are all very aware that OP was quoting a song.... But, we are just pointing out, song quoting or not, that it is an ignorant line to quote or share on such a topic.... why quote something like that? Would you feel the same if your family member died because people thought 911 was a joke and making prank calls, thus having emergency persons responding to pranks??.... It's happened, and it's wrong! THAT is what we are referring to.

I never said 911 was a joke. I just said that I prank called it many times.

Ma'am, I wasn't referring to your post. I was referring to the one who posted that "9-1-1 is a joke"

But you said.. oh forget it :flowerforyou:

LOL, it's all gooooooood! I see what you mean though, I did mention prank calls, which is also what you mentioned, but I was just referring to people who think 911 is a joke (not saying that poster thinks that, referring to the song artist) are usually the ones calling and pranking or calling and screaming like wild animals cause they REALLY do need help. Anywho, this thread has taken a drastic turn away from the original topic. Let's all just but it behind us, gather around a fire, and make some s'mores!!
    :drinker: :bigsmile: :tongue:

NO, JUST SAY NO TO S'MORES. S'MORE MADE ME FAT.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    yes, ex boyfriend threatened to kill himself and i warned him and he wouldn't let up so I called.
  • BeTheFire
    BeTheFire Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Being a 911 operator for the last 5 years.....unless I'm holding one arm in the other hand, torn off at the shoulder, I'd almost never call. We get such ridiculous calls.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't call 911, I get dispatched to the places where 911 is called about along with the FD and paramedics. Of course, I get there first because FD and medics like to "stage" because they are skeered of hoodlums in the area I patrol, but that's beside the point.
  • mimmiroo
    mimmiroo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I called when a man decided to point a gun at my face and steal my stuff.
    Still haven't caught the guy...
  • Treejewel19
    Treejewel19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just had to call yesterday! I was driving home around 5:30 pm (Sunday) going about 70 mph and I saw a truck parked on the center median on the other sie of the freeway. As I got closer I saw two men seemingly arguing on my side of the freeway. As I got closer the man jumped in front of oncoming traffic and we all had to slam on our breaks. I have NEVER had to stop so fast in my life. The row of cars swerved to the right trying to avoid him. As my row went to swerve into the other lane he jumped in front of us all again. It was terrifying.

After managing to get passed him I called 911 and was given to the CHP. I will say it all took a lot longer than I had expected when trying to get through.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

*shrug*

I've never heard the song. Now I'm gonna have to go listen to it. But with your description, and knowing the history of issues surrounding response in regards to things like that, I understand more.

Thank you for clarifying. I'm off to find the song.

Sorry I got so angry. It hit a nerve.....that happens to us sometimes, given what we deal with. :embarassed:
    [/quote]

i appreciate your open-mindedness and that youre actually going to go listen to the song.

my apologies for striking a nerve.

the internet is full of asshats. i just happen to be one of them. :flowerforyou:

glad this was a peaceful resolution and no 911 call was needed. :wink:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I will say it all took a lot longer than I had expected when trying to get through.

You wouldn't believe the volume of dumb a**ed calls that go through while someone with a real emergency is trying to call. People call for ANYTHING making the jobs of the dispatchers, fire, police, and medics that much more difficult, but stupid people think it's funny. It's certainly NOT funny when you need our services and have to wait for it.
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Guess this is the same as 999 here?....if I rang 911 I'd probably get some chatline or an irritating 'number unobtainable' message.

I have rung 999 - elderly driver in front of me didn't realise the motorcycle in the other lane was indicating (to be honest I don't think he realised there WAS another lane - he was very very elderly.....). Motorcycle rider wasn't happy that he couldn't get over into our lane so he roared round the traffic, stopped beside the driver's door when we reached the lights and rapped on the window. Little old man winds down the window and motorbike man proceeds to smash his face in. With his little old wife sitting in the passenger seat screaming. Blood everywhere, drivers jumping out of cars to help the elderly driver. I didn't. I wrote down the guy's numberplate, and as he roared off into the distance I rang 999 and gave a full description including the type of leathers he was wearing, height, weight (that's wherre mfp is useful!) and make of motofbike. The police rocked up to his house within minutes, arrested him and he was jailed for grievous bodily harm.
    Job done. No respect for his elders.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have called 999 countless times. All legitimate. Mostly for minor things - only a few major - a junkie who chad cut her feet up really badly and a friend who had a stroke in my local pub.