Calling 911...have you ever done it?

Replies

• DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    "9-1-1 is a joke"

Everyone whom works 911 will remember that when you are having a true emergency and need us. We will just forget you called, if we are a joke.

I've comforted a dying child in my arms. I've shaken the had of a cardiac arrest victim that survived because of us. I've delivered babies, I've hugged a perfect stranger who's husband had just passed.

*kitten* you, sir. *kitten*. You.

^^^This. No one has any idea how hard of a job this is unless you do it. To provide some comfort for the loss of a person you never met, so be the first one to deal with their pain... to have the old and the young alike die while not being able to save them no matter what you try. To comfort those in car accidents, who realize they have damaged or caused the end of a life. To be covered in someone's blood, puke, and other bodily fliuds.

Anyone who even jokes about 911 not being serious, go visit your fire department or EMS department. Ask to ride along. I don't care if you were quoting a song lyric. It's a sucky lyric that just shows ignorance.

Thank you <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTufpbiT3-0
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    I have a few times.

Scariest one was we where driving down the highway and 3 teenagers where throwing rocks off the over pass. It hit our windshield. We called and they truly didn't care. Told us, if no one is hurt to not call again.
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    "9-1-1 is a joke"

Everyone whom works 911 will remember that when you are having a true emergency and need us. We will just forget you called, if we are a joke.

I've comforted a dying child in my arms. I've shaken the had of a cardiac arrest victim that survived because of us. I've delivered babies, I've hugged a perfect stranger who's husband had just passed.

THIS !!!!! ^^^^^^^^ Amen!!
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Once I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and happened to look out the window. There was a car driving very slowly down the road, stopping periodically in front of people's houses. Later I came to find out our neighbor's boxers had gotten out of their yard and it was the neighbor driving around, trying to find them.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    How could anyone ever say 911 is a joke?

23if7u9.jpg

<3
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Yeah, when me and my best friend were kids I dialed it on a pay phone just to see what would happen. Didn't realize for 911 you didn't actually have to pay.

They called back. We cried and fled the scene.

Now I am 911...

Oh, and for all those people that do it as a joke or a prank, I just want you to be informed: when we're dispatched to your "joke", our ambulance/fire truck/cop car is considered "out of service." So when a child on the other side of town is not breathing, we can't respond because we're headed to your prank. Just keep that in mind the next time you think it's funny to call 911 :)

^^^ Preach it !!!!
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    yesterday was my latest... sparking power line started a mulch fire...
    but i'm usually the one going on the calls, not making them.

let me tell you, it sucks getting out of bed at 3 am for a prank or because someone has "insurance-itis".

Dude, feels. One of my closest friends is a fire fighter in Victoria, Australia. He hates idiots that prank 000, but more he hates firebugs and many of them join the volunteer fire fighters. So many of the bad bush fires we have here that make international news are from volunteer fire fighters starting a fire because they want the adrenaline rush and to be seen as a hero -_-

Omgosh!! Seriously?? Wow!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    underage party when i was in highschool. the kid insisted he was dying or something. i think it was food posioning. cops drove by said nothing. ambulance came too of course.
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    "9-1-1 is a joke"

I wonder what the quotations mean in the post you're all quoting? durrr
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    I called when I was little to see what would happen. And then I lied about it of course.

Another time when the kid my mom was baby sitting was having a seizer and none of us know what to do.

The third time, our neighbors son came to our house saying that his mom was trying to kill herself. Eek.
  • I have had to call quite a few time
    car accidents
    when my daughter broke her foot it 3 places
    whenever I get stung by a bee
    neighbors trying to kill each other
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    I've called it a couple of times. We don't have a non-emergency number, so I call it when I see a car broken down in the middle of our arterial streets... I'm always afraid that the broken down car is going to cause an accident, whether directly or indirectly... and we have way too many people that go at least 10 miles over the speed limit.

btw, police officers have told us to do this...

ETA: Oh and to try and bust some obnixous 18 year olds that like to party at 3 am for underage drinking and smoking pot... but that never worked.
  • iangelbailey10
    iangelbailey10 Posts: 51 Member
    Once for a car accident I witnessed of a drunk driver. Then, for myself when I had an anaphylactic reaction to some ibuprofen.. didn't know I was allergic to it.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    I called when I was little to see what would happen. And then I lied about it of course.

my brother did that once and then everyone assumed it was our younger brother who was a toddler at the time... the truth didn't come out until MUCH later. :laugh:
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Yes, about five years ago my grandpa fell and got hurt and couldn't get up. My dad found him laying on the floor of the basement and told me and my sister to call 911 for an ambulance. I was very scared.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    I did as a kid in the 90's messing around with my cousin just hanged up and the cops got there FAST!
    I felt safer in the 90's! :happy:
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    "9-1-1 is a joke"

I wonder what the quotations mean in the post you're all quoting? durrr

I admire your commitment to trying to defend that "911 joke" joke, and that you called as a prank. But at this point and based on how the response on this thread is going, it might be better to just let it go. Sometimes jokes fall flat, you either scrap them or rework them.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Called a few times for overhearing of domestic abuse.

Called for myself twice because of fainting.
  • TammyP64
    TammyP64 Posts: 52 Member
    Twice...once when an elderly man fell and had hit his head. The other time when my husband and I were eating dinner at a restaurant and I saw a mom physically abusing her toddler son. The cops came and arrested her.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    few dozen times. domestic 3-4 times to report a car accident