Calling 911...have you ever done it?

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    A few times. The first was with the pastor's daughter at my grandparent's house for my dad and stepmom's wedding 'reception'.

The cops showed up and my parents were pissed!

A few other times I called legitimately, but I generally use the non-emergency line to report suspicious things.
  • CarrieJ85
    CarrieJ85 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Just yesterday actually! My fiance dislocated his shoulder and wasn't able to pop it back in himeself and he satrted to panic. I tried calling the non-emergency EMS number but they told me to call 911. I called once before when I hit a dear with my car. I was alone in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night and didn't know what else to do. I've also called the local non-emergency police line for smaller incidents.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yes... too recent to really talk about it. :cry:
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    When I got rear-ended at a stop light when another car tried pulling into the left turning lane and hit my left rear corner. I called 911 to report the accident and was so shook up I had to keep apologizing to the operator.
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I've prank called it many times.

Why on earth would someone do something like that? :huh:

You do realize you can get fined and/or arrested for that, right?

tumblr_mr4txvZfsu1su4cb8o1_400.gif
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Yes and too many times. A few times after witnesssing various car accidents but mostly when my X was beating the crap outta me....he kept getting thrown in jail but didn't learn, I guess.....I finally learned and left....
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Yes, twice, once when I found my husband dead on the bathroom floor and once when my 10 month old baby girl was having a seizure.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was in labor but was sent home from the hospital. I had the baby at home 20 minutes after walking through my door. Called 911 when I realized "yes, this baby is coming now" :-)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Once for myself - needed a ride in the ambulance after breaking my leg as I was home alone. And once after witnessing an accident. It was scary as hell! I saw what looked like a tractor trailor truck (it was actually a big tow truck)) drive over a pick up truck!! The guy in the pick up truck had someone watching over him that day - walked away with scrapes and bruises.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Three times.

First, a lady visiting our neighbour fell from their stairs and landed on the street, hitting her head. Tons of blood, had to make a second call 20 minutes later to find out where the heck the response was. She turned out fine.

Second, I slipped, dropping a large pot of boiling water and landed in it. Burns. Operator informed me that I shouldn't be on the verge of passing out from a burn. I asked if she knew anything whatsoever about shock.

Third, consequence of burns, I stood up, passed out, woke up long enough to call 911 and then my landlady to unlock my door. Had a blood clot that pretty much had me dead. I came to a couple times before reaching the hospital, once to experience being loaded into the ambulance, the second time to hear the paramedic saying that the blood pressure thing had to be broken because he couldn't get a reading.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Yikes I'm sorry you've all had to deal with this stuff!

No, never on purpose. A few times when my old friend's phone number started with 2911 and the "2" on my phone was stuck.
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Calling 911...have you ever done it?

I grew up, and for many years, lived in inner city Chicago.
    What do you think?

• Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I've called them by accident....does that count?

It was April Fools day and my first day of work at my brand new shiny job at the bank.

I was calling one of my partners that actually worked at a satellite location in another bank. To dial out you had to put a nine in front of the number. Since she wasn't local, I had to dial a one in front of the number....then for some reason my finger twitched and I hit one again...

did you know that when you dial 911 at a bank, they won't let you hang up? They keep calling you back till you answer?

did you know that when you dial 911 at a bank you can't just say, "I'm SO SO SO sorry it was an accident"

did you know that they HAVE to send out a team to check every floor to make sure there isn't a hostage situation?

Did you know that that is probably the best way to memorably meet EVERYONE in the bank so that they remember you name? Walking around with three hot firemen assessing the place?

Did you know that your boss laughs hysterically when you call him to tell him what you did?

did you know that if the authorities feel that your call was indeed a prank they will charge your bank 40,000 dollars? (they did feel however that mine was an honest mistake and we were let off without charges but they did see the value in pointing out what the fee was.)

did you know that it happens a lot because most business' DO have 9 set as their call out number?

Have I ever had to call 911 for an actual emergency? No. But I have been in situations where they have been needed to be called and they have been called. By someone else. I'm usually in the thick of things stemming blood flow, assessing the situation etc (certified first aid responder via St. John's Ambulance)
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    for accidents on the road
    once when I heard a child screaming repeatedly and could not find where the kid was
    and once by accident because the area code here is 919. oops
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Only once actually (well 999 here). I was a looking after my gran after she had a stroke, I'd gone to get some shopping for her and came home to find her collapsed over the sink, she'd had another stroke. It was terrifying, she'd been trying to wash up dishes and had collapsed forward in to the sink of water. Luckily I got her out before she drowned but sadly she never recovered from that second stroke.

It was so scary, I was there on my own with just my 2 month old baby. The person taking the call was brilliant talking me through everything and keeping me calm until the ambuance arrived.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Car accident and once when a neighbor guy was beating up his girlfriend.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    yes but you do what you gotta do.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I've prank called it many times.

Why on earth would someone do something like that? :huh:

You do realize you can get fined and/or arrested for that, right?

tumblr_mr4txvZfsu1su4cb8o1_400.gif

I'd be pretty p*ssed off if I called 911 for a real emergency and they couldn't get to me in time because they had to send someone out to assess a prank.

Pretty sure others feel the same too.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Several times. Car accidents, my daughter's seizures, son's broken femur, drunk drivers, suspicious vehicle in a neighborhood with several attempted kidnappings (truck fit description of suspect vehicle).
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yes. My own car accident and a car accident that happened in front of my house. I've called the non-emergency line several times for random things: probable impaired driver, sand bag in the highway, hit and run dent.