Calling 911...have you ever done it?

Options

Replies

• 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I did. there was a lot of banging, stomping around and swearing coming from the apartment above mine. Didn't know if it was a bad domestic fight or what. The police came, and after they came back to my apartment and told me the guy was really into playing his video game :noway: and was sorry for the noise!

EDIT - forgot, also when a really bad accident happened in front of me on the highway (the car was upside down) but they already knew about it. I would never call as a joke! You are taking resources away from someone who might really need them (and one time that could be you!).
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    2 heart attacks and a fire.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    "9-1-1 is a joke"

Everyone whom works 911 will remember that when you are having a true emergency and need us. We will just forget you called, if we are a joke.

I've comforted a dying child in my arms. I've shaken the had of a cardiac arrest victim that survived because of us. I've delivered babies, I've hugged a perfect stranger who's husband had just passed.

*kitten* you, sir. *kitten*. You.

thanks for your service.
    my apologies for making the joke too obscure.

flavor-flav-o.gif
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Once so far. I came home from work to find my neighbor collapsed in front of his door, drenched in sweat. He was trying and failing to get his key in the lock. I'd noticed he was wearing an insulin pump the last time we'd chatted. So I called 911 and got him into his apartment. The fire dept showed up a few minutes later and about ten minutes after that I was standing in my kitchen with a firefighter mixing ridiculous amounts of sugar into iced tea. Thank God he was OK. I'm very grateful that I happened to come home when I did- there are only 3 other people who go onto our landing regularly, he could have been there for a while.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I have a few times. Auto accidents, a drunk driver and someone near my bedroom window.
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Once to report a car accident.

I also dream about having to call 911 and in my dreams it just rings and rings and when someone finally picks up, I can't hear them or they can't hear me. Terrifying, though it happened to my mom when she called to report a mugging. It rang and rang and when they finally picked up they kept transferring her around the city. Took about ten minutes before someone actually helped her.

And a few times by accident, like many people have said, working in a business where you have to dial out with 9-1- and then the number. I think it should be a different number to dial out of businesses, because it seems to happen so frequently!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Yes, my dad and I were cutting dead tree branches in his back yard, and I was WAAAAY up (about five stories in the air) and he pinched a nerve, or cut off the oxygen by keeping his head craned back / looking up to watch me.

He asked me to come down and said he wasn't feeling well. I helped him into the house and watched him. He didn't want me to call an ambulance, and I was waiting for a call back from his doctor. Shortly thereafter, his eyes rolled back into his head and he passed out I called 911.

The ambulance arrived in less than ten minutes, and my dad was okay. I am very grateful for their service.
  • MammaMouse
    Options
    I used to work in a medical clinic, so I've called a few times for patients. There was also one instance when the nurse in the clinic called and hung up by accident... if you hang up on 911 they can trace the call and will call back. I was the unlucky one who answered and had to convince the dispatcher that the hang up was a mistake and not done because someone was holding a gun on us.
  • SweetLilyR
    SweetLilyR Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My first was in high school - a friend of mine got dumped by her idiot boyfriend, took a bottle of sleeping pills and called me to say goodbye. Turns out he dumped her because she got pregnant. Both my friend and her baby were fine after a couple nights at the hospital.

After that - two car crashes that I was a passenger in the hit car. Got to love climbing up a 40 foot embankment during an ice storm and finding out that the nearest phone is your ex-boyfriends' parents house. I was lucky to walk away from that crash.

My stupidest call was because my carbon monoxide detector in my apartment was going off - they cleared the building only to find out that it was beeping because the battery was low. Never been so embarrassed in my life!

Another was due to a bunch of drunk idiot teens laying down in the road in front of another apartment I was living in - I've done stupid stuff (see above story) but that's damn near suicidal to me! I got one tenant in that building evicted after he tried to break into my place one night, and his girlfriend threw pot seeds into my little garden plot as revenge. Luckily, I know what pot leaves look like and had the police remove the plants before she could call and tell them I was growing weed.

The last five or six calls to the rescue squad were all due to my mother's illnesses. She has a huge mistrust of doctors and hospitals (and she used to be an RN!), so she'll get to the point of coughing up blood or letting her dizzy bouts go for so long that she cracks her head on her dresser when she falls...as well as going into a diabetic coma. Thankfully, she's living with us now, so I can keep a better eye on her health.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    1. Tree caught on fire from neighbor kids on July 4th with fireworks

2. Niece had a seizure

3. Tree on fire from lightening

4 House across the street on fire from squatters/electrical issue (never found out which, house was abandoned)

Edit: I butt dialed 911 one time too and they sent police over to my house when they heard "cult like chanting" on the phone. I had been singing along to a song while cleaning my house and let the officers in to show them that no satanic rituals were taking place. In their defense the song was "Could This Be Love" by Alkaline Trio so I can understand the concern.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yes, there was a car accident on the road so I phoned.
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Many times.

The interesting thing I realized the last couple times is my iPhone locks when you call it now. It keeps the line connected until you unlock it manually and hang up, or they hang up. If they hang up first, you still have to unlock it and clear the call before it goes back to standard operating.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Once. There was a shawty fire on the dance floor.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Few times, but the most memorable was on a beach holiday. The house we had rented with friends was directly on the beach and we heard screams and shouts... someone was screaming to call 911. So I did. With very little information to give and our address as the the location so they could park and run to the beach.
  • I have before. There was a guy in a pickup truck who got a bad case of road rage, got out at a red light, and tried to take it out on some guys in a car. The guys tried defusing the situation but to no avail. The guy from the pickup truck started swinging a tire iron and cracked one of the guys in the head. We called 911 and police came. He was still swinging the tire iron and even threatened the police. It was insane....
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Once, when my tie rod broke while I was driving on a busy highway, I skidded but couldn't pull over far enough and my car was stuck almost in the middle of the right lane. I couldn't move the car at all so I got everyone out and called my uncle, then 911. Not sure why I called my uncle first lol, I was scared and didn't know what I was doing.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Once. There was a shawty fire on the dance floor.

*LOL* NICE!
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've only called twice that I can remember off-hand. Once it was because a house caught fire during a bad storm. The other time was unusual. I was driving through a town when I saw this terrible fight in a parking lot. Five or six guys was beating up one man who was lying on the ground and appeared to be unconscious. I called 911 and the operator told me it wasn't a real emergency and hung up on me.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Once to report a car accident.

I also dream about having to call 911 and in my dreams it just rings and rings and when someone finally picks up, I can't hear them or they can't hear me. Terrifying, though it happened to my mom when she called to report a mugging. It rang and rang and when they finally picked up they kept transferring her around the city. Took about ten minutes before someone actually helped her.

And a few times by accident, like many people have said, working in a business where you have to dial out with 9-1- and then the number. I think it should be a different number to dial out of businesses, because it seems to happen so frequently!

I have those dreams too, or that I can't dial the correct numbers.
  • chancock6
    Options
    Called once when our elderly neighbor was walking down the street, kind of swerved her head, and took a fall in a ditch. She had some sort of muscle disease and really bad dementia. No idea why she was out walking on her own. I called, and the ambulance came and took her away.

Also called when my brother got hit by a car while riding his dirt bike. Broke his leg clean in half.