I don't even know where I'm going wrong - please help : (

Options
I'm terrible at logging, and often run out of time to do it so my diary is a bit all over the place, but it is open for what its worth

I'm around 86kg, 163cm. Female. Little intentional exercise apart from walking and some bodyweight but a fairly active job with an amount of lifting, carrying, on my feet and walking. 5-6000 steps on my fitbit is about normal, but this is underexaggerated as it doesn't count the couple of steps at a time, on my feet, type activity I do all day.

I don't know if I'm grossly overestimating my calorie needs, or underestimating them, or WTF is going wrong but I only seem to drop 1-2kg then put 3-4 back on again.

I've gone for a goal of 2100 calories per day, and even on the days I don't log I know I'm within this because my eating habits don't change much. I would have thought this would put me at a moderate deficit, but I just don't know any more. i seem to do the drop a little gain more cycle on ANY amount of calories : ( I started MFP in 2009 on 72kg!!!

Please, I just don't know what to do. The calculators on heal-calc and calorieline (6 hours on feet 5 days a week plus 1-hour walk 3 days per week) give me around 27-2900 calories a day TDEE.

I lost weight some years ago successfully on Weight Watchers, but at the time I was a SAHM so did next to nothing and the allotted 20 points (about 1400 calories in theory but actually much less because of the penalising of saturated fat) was enough for me. These days it's really, really not.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    IMO the first step is a commitment to diligent logging. It doesn't take more than a few minutes a day, it's not a meaningful time commitment - but it is a mental commitment.

Until that happens, everything else is just plain guesswork.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    If you're not actually dilligently and accurately logging your calories then I really don't know what you expect.

No one can help you here....

Your thread title says you don't know where you're going wrong but yes, you do.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    IMO the first step is a commitment to diligent logging. It doesn't take more than a few minutes a day, it's not a meaningful time commitment - but it is a mental commitment.

Until that happens, everything else is just plain guesswork.

This

I did not start losing weight until I was eating at a deficit.
    If you do not log, how do you know if you are eating at a deficit or not ?

Good luck in your journey
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible at logging

that right there could be the big catalyst.

if youre not doing that, how are you sure youre eating at a deficit?

and if youre not eating at a deficit, how will you lose weight?

youve answered your own question.

time to make it happen.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you're only doing 5000 steps a day, it's pretty much sedentary. So your TDEE estimations might be too high.

But you're probably eating way more than you think anyway. You won't know until you start logging consistently and accurately everything that goes in your mouth. The other option if you don't want to do that is just to eat clean all the time (nothing processed, no refined sugars, a lot of lean meat, fruit and vegetables), so you're less likely to overeat, but frankly for me it's way worse than logging.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine... just start to get into the habit of weighing, measuring, logging everything, then start the habit of doing it every single day. It'll soon be second nature - and well worth the effort when you see those kilos drop off you!

Good luck! :-) x
  • Zoe_lifts
    Zoe_lifts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I would eat less calories a day. A woman needs about 2000 calories a day.
    I prefer to get around 1200 every day, but it depends every day. 1200 to 1700.
    also, in your food diary i saw Sanittarium - Up & Go Energize, 250 ml , i don't know what that is but, please don't drink your calories. Water is best for you! lots of it :)
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    If you're only doing 5000 steps a day, it's pretty much sedentary. So your TDEE estimations might be too high.

But you're probably eating way more than you think anyway. You won't know until you start logging consistently and accurately everything that goes in your mouth. The other option if you don't want to do that is just to eat clean all the time (nothing processed, no refined sugars, a lot of lean meat, fruit and vegetables), so you're less likely to overeat, but frankly for me it's way worse than logging.

I log under 1000 steps a day and I am still not considered sedentary.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your portion sizes? Are you eyeballing things or actually taking the time to weigh/measure your foods? This can make a big difference.

Logging, and logging accurately, can make a big difference. I find that even when I'm keeping track of my calories for the day in my head I often forget snacks here and there or find that my math is wrong at the end of the day. If you don't want to/can't log here on the site, get yourself a paper journal to keep nearby and jot things down in. It really can change things for you!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    If you're not actually dilligently and accurately logging your calories then I really don't know what you expect.

No one can help you here....

Your thread title says you don't know where you're going wrong but yes, you do.

QFT
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible at logging

Fixed it for you.
  • Zoe_lifts
    Zoe_lifts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    And ofcourse log your food and exercise everyday ! it really helps!
    If you don't feel like turning on the computer to log it, keep a diary on paper and count your calories at the end of the day :) this worked for me before
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    OK I guess I didn't make mmyself clear, I'm after help with the TDEE that's why I wrote all that blurb about it

Regarding the 5000 steps is sedentary - it doesn't pick up a lot of my movement because they are a couple at a time, and also mostly standing and upper body movement, when it only starts counting after 10 or so steps.
  • _liftnlove
    Options
    You don't need Herbalife, you don't need Advocare, you don't need any products or supplements. You need to GET COMMITTED to doing this program...not half the time, not when it's convenient. DO IT. DO IT EVERY DAY....it will work. That's all you need.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible at logging

Log better.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    OK I guess I didn't make mmyself clear, I'm after help with the TDEE that's why I wrote all that blurb about it

Knowing your TDEE doesn't matter if you don't know what how much you're eating.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Log everything. Then talk to me in three weeks if you're still not losing consistently... :) Seriously though, if you aren't logging diligently, how on earth do you know what you're really taking in? Because I had NO idea what a "portion" of something was until I started weighing it and logging it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Regarding the 5000 steps is sedentary - it doesn't pick up a lot of my movement because they are a couple at a time, and also mostly standing and upper body movement, when it only starts counting after 10 or so steps.

TDEE is completely irrelevant if you're not logging accurately.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

TDEE calculators will always give you an estimate based on the general population. Not everyone fits into the molds of active/lightly active and sometimes you have to play around to find out where you'll lose weight. If 2100 calories isn't working for you (and you know your calorie count is accurate), drop your calories bit by bit until you find the sweet spot.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Logging/Adherence/Consistency

ETA:

I'll expand since I'm feeling helpful

Log everything.

Adhere to your calorie goals

Be consistent as possible with both intake and exercise

Those steps will lead you to success, just my opinion.