I don't even know where I'm going wrong - please help : (

Options

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

I know what I'm eating, like I say, my eating habits don't change much.

It's just that minor, minor fluctuations in food intake can make a huge difference. Really. Give it a try, you'll be surprised at how much it varies from day to day.

You've nothing to lose, by giving accurate logging a go.

Good luck! x
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Mandatory:
    LOG LIKE IT'S YOUR JOB
    10K STEPS. NO EXCUSES

Optional:
    Do sprints for 20 minutes every week.

Sounds like you have the calorie thing pretty well figured. I'd drop it by 100 for a month or so to see if that makes a difference. Go slow.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Mandatory:
    10K STEPS. NO EXCUSES

Optional:
    Do sprints for 20 minutes every week.

lolwut
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Based on your stats, your BMR is 1428 calories. The activity level you have described is basically sedentary. A sedentary TDEE for your stats would be 1713.

So, for you to lose weight you should aim for a calorie intake between 1428 and 1713.

If you have been eating roughly 2000 calories, this would explain why you are not losing weight.

However, as others have pointed out, in order to really know how much you are ingesting, then you are going to have to log your food diligently, for at least a few weeks, so that you can get a true picture of your intake.

The only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit. Without the data, there is no way to know if you are doing this or not. So, I'm afraid that you are going to have to bite the bullet and start using the food diary for every meal, every day.

How do you get sedentary? I am far from sedentary. I'm on my feet at work for at least 6 hours - walking, lifting, upper body movements. Then some bodyweight exercise at home and 1 hour walk 2-3 times a week.

Well, here's the deal. If you ingest fewer calories than you expend, you will lose weight.

If you ingest roughly the same number of calories as you expend, then you will maintain your weight.

If you ingest more calories than you expend, you will gain weight.

By your own admission you are gaining weight, so you do the math. Seriously. Why don't you play around with this calculator (see link below) until you think that you've got the calculation correct?
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

However, as has been said, repeatedly, you simply won't know if you are creating a deficit or not, if you don't have the data to work with. Log your food.

We (most of us, anyway) are not trying to be mean. We are trying to help you with your problem. Please listen to our advice.

EDITED to add:
    Feel free to send me a friend request if you would like more support in your weight loss. I am very supportive, but I suppose that I am blunt sometimes. Add me if that is cool with you.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    How do you know your calorie intake if you don't log accurately? Even though I think health is more about WHAT one eats I still monitor the calories and, more importantly, the macros.

(Yes, Weight Watchers sucks. The Points program does indeed penalize healthy foods and encourage garbage foods (that's my opinion based on much experience). The old WW program back in the early 1990s was the biggest factor in the destruction of my health for 20 years. I even grew up with my mom always on WW and it destroyed her health too. They suck. I have NO love for their organization. They have improved a bit since their anti fat/extreme low calorie days but I'll never pay them another cent.)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Based on your stats, your BMR is 1428 calories. The activity level you have described is basically sedentary. A sedentary TDEE for your stats would be 1713.

So, for you to lose weight you should aim for a calorie intake between 1428 and 1713.

If you have been eating roughly 2000 calories, this would explain why you are not losing weight.

However, as others have pointed out, in order to really know how much you are ingesting, then you are going to have to log your food diligently, for at least a few weeks, so that you can get a true picture of your intake.

The only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit. Without the data, there is no way to know if you are doing this or not. So, I'm afraid that you are going to have to bite the bullet and start using the food diary for every meal, every day.

How do you get sedentary? I am far from sedentary. I'm on my feet at work for at least 6 hours - walking, lifting, upper body movements. Then some bodyweight exercise at home and 1 hour walk 2-3 times a week.

Well, here's the deal. If you ingest fewer calories than you expend, you will lose weight.

If you ingest roughly the same number of calories as you expend, then you will maintain your weight.

If you ingest more calories than you expend, you will gain weight.

By your own admission you are gaining weight, so you do the math. Seriously. Why don't you play around with this calculator (see link below) until you think that you've got the calculation correct?
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

However, as has been said, repeatedly, you simply won't know if you are creating a deficit or not, if you don't have the data to work with. Log your food.

We (most of us, anyway) are not trying to be mean. We are trying to help you with your problem. Please listen to our advice.

You said "The activity level you have described is basically sedentary." She objected to that characterization. She certainly doesn't seem sedentary.

However, of course, as I and others have said: if you're not logging, you don't know what you're consuming, and nothing else matters.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    [
    However, of course, as I and others have said: if you're not logging, you don't know what you're consuming, and nothing else matters.

43591-THIS-gif-ECaV.gif
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I think that your TDEE is high. I have a similar job that requires me to be on my feet pretty much all day but if that's not actively getting my heart rate up, I don't count it as exercise. The 10,000 steps guideline has often been misinterpreted and was supposed to be striding out sort of walking and not the sort of walking people normally do around the house/work. I call myself lightly active. If I put you on that level, your tdee would be around 2200. If I were you, I'd drop calorie consumption to below 2000 and see if that does the trick.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    You said "The activity level you have described is basically sedentary." She objected to that characterization. She certainly doesn't seem sedentary.

I stand corrected. I would classify a pedometer step count of 5,000 per day as light activity not sedentary.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    OK fine - I'll log for 3 weeks and come back. If anyone is actually interested in helping, rather than berating, please friend me. My logging was better a month or two back for sure, but I only gained then, too.

But I'm telling you, I've done MONTHS of logging before to the point where I closed my account because I was weighing every bloody thing obsessively. And nothing. Just up, up, up no matter what goal I tried.

To those who asked - yes i weigh stuff. But the only stuff I really need to weigh (i.e it doesn't already come in a serving like a slice of bread or a packet of noodles) is vegetables and frankly - is an extra 25grams of carrots really going to make or break it? i cut my butter into 5gram cubes as soon as I open the block. I rarely eat stuff out of bigger packets, like chips or whetver, where a "serving" isn't a serving lol. Where I occasionally do and I've eaten say, a pack in 2 days I'll put half in the first day, half in the second, and ignore the few the kids have nicked or I've given to the dog.
    My meals/recipes are overestimated as I divide the recipe into 5 (2 portions to husband, 1 each for me and the kids) but have leftovers.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    My logging was better a month or two back for sure, but I only gained then, too.

When? For all of July and August I see logging that is spotty and inconsistent at best. A few days on, a few days off.
    But I'm telling you, I've done MONTHS of logging before to the point where I closed my account because I was weighing every bloody thing obsessively. And nothing. Just up, up, up no matter what goal I tried.

What time period was this? I'd like to look at those logs. Perhaps they will reveal something useful.

Bottom line is you're full of excuses for why your total lack of consistent logging is not the problem. It is the problem.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question - are you eating back your exercise calories based on your TDEE activity level?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    No thanks. Too many people who actually want help. Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • lilacinfinity
    Options

What time period was this? I'd like to look at those logs. Perhaps they will reveal something useful.

to the point where I closed my account
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Well, since you've done everything right (according to you), then perhaps you should talk to a physician to do a variety of tests, including one for your RMR.

Then take those results, hire a personal trainer and a registered dietitian.

If you can't do that, then maybe try Weight Watchers. Perhaps you'll have better luck with their logging system.

Honestly, due to lack of info, logs, etc - no one can really tell you what's going on. You should be logging everyday and weighing everything. Use the recipe function to better figure out portions, etc....but...do what you will. best of luck.
  • lilacinfinity
    Options
    My logging was better a month or two back for sure, but I only gained then, too.

When? For all of July and August I see logging that is spotty and inconsistent at best. A few days on, a few days off.

Bottom line is you're full of excuses for why your total lack of consistent logging is not the problem. It is the problem.

I didn't say it was perfect, that it was better. Sometimes i don't have time to get on the computer. If that makes me a horrible person then so be it.

Maybe it is part of the problem, maybe its not. I don't know so I'm not making excuses either way. All I can say is that I had the same situation when i was logging diligently, and I came to enquire about TDEE more than anything.

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You came here asking for free help, people offered it, generously, and all you're doing is being snarky, rude and belligerent in return.

I'm outta here...best of luck to ya...
  • _liftnlove
    Options

I didn't say it was perfect, that it was better. Sometimes i don't have time to get on the computer. If that makes me a horrible person then so be it.

Maybe it is part of the problem, maybe its not. I don't know so I'm not making excuses either way. All I can say is that I had the same situation when i was logging diligently, and I came to enquire about TDEE more than anything.

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time

the link I provided in my previous post should help you find your TDEE...then you should eat 15%-20% below that to lose weight.

If that's not working, you need to see a doctor, because something is wrong...eating below TDEE should result in weight loss...if not, see a doctor.
  • lilacinfinity
    Options
    No thanks. Too many people who actually want help.

there's no need to be cruel.
    I do want help.
    Hey, maybe I didn't realise that noting every crumb was so integral to the whole thing. Clearly it is, and as I've said, i'll take it on board and try my best and come back.
    Sorry to have wasted your time.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I would eat less calories a day. A woman needs about 2000 calories a day.
    I prefer to get around 1200 every day, but it depends every day. 1200 to 1700.
    also, in your food diary i saw Sanittarium - Up & Go Energize, 250 ml , i don't know what that is but, please don't drink your calories. Water is best for you! lots of it :)
    A woman does NOT need 2000 calories a day that is very misleading. You dont know enough about her to make that statement.

Try 5:2. There are LOTS of success stories and real supportive people to help. Plus you will have so much energy you cant help but exercise.