I don't even know where I'm going wrong - please help : (

Options

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    You have given us your weight, and I can see your age on your profile, but please post your height. It is required for calculating your TDEE.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed it in the original post. I see it there now.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    OK I guess I didn't make mmyself clear, I'm after help with the TDEE that's why I wrote all that blurb about it

Regarding the 5000 steps is sedentary - it doesn't pick up a lot of my movement because they are a couple at a time, and also mostly standing and upper body movement, when it only starts counting after 10 or so steps.

TDEE is completely irrelevant if you're not logging accurately.

^ And another QFT.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I would eat less calories a day. A woman needs about 2000 calories a day.
    I prefer to get around 1200 every day, but it depends every day. 1200 to 1700.
    also, in your food diary i saw Sanittarium - Up & Go Energize, 250 ml , i don't know what that is but, please don't drink your calories. Water is best for you! lots of it :)

Calorie needs vary from person to person based on age, weight, height, activity level, etc. There's no way to place a generic 2000 calorie level on every single woman on the planet. Plenty of women lose weight while eating more.

Likewise, while I'm a fan of drinking plenty of water, drinking your calories won't stop weightloss, assuming of course that those calories are accurately accounted for as part of a balanced diet.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    You have given us your weight, and I can see your age on your profile, but please post your height. It is required for calculating your TDEE.

Check the first post. It's in there.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    OK I guess I didn't make mmyself clear, I'm after help with the TDEE that's why I wrote all that blurb about it

Regarding the 5000 steps is sedentary - it doesn't pick up a lot of my movement because they are a couple at a time, and also mostly standing and upper body movement, when it only starts counting after 10 or so steps.

Knowing your TDEE and eating at a deficit won't help you lose weight if you don't accurately and consistently log your food. How will you know if you are eating at a deficit if you are not logging what you eat?
  • _liftnlove
    Options

I like this calorie-calculator...maybe it might be helpful?? But you've still gotta get committed to accurate logging (but I think enough people have griped at you about that by now! lol)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Best wishes!! :flowerforyou:
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible at logging

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Usually these things are pretty simple. Also, 1800 + kcals seems like a lot to me for someone who wants to lose but doesn't regularly exercise apart from an active job. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise- work on the diet.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your TDEE for now - the first step is definitely to start logging accurately.

Give it a try and see how you go on. :-)
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It dosen't really take long to log calories. If you have android or iPhone download the mfp app. I pre logg most of my days and even if I change a few things it's easier for me that way.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hi, I recently started using the Herbalife products a month ago and I've lost 8 pounds already. They have nutritional shakes which serve as meal replacements and give you all of the vitamins and minerals a healthy meal would give you. I love the products so much that I have become a distributor for them. If you'd like, I can tell you more offline. Just send me an e-mail: herbalife.getfit@outlook.com

Sandra

reported as spam!!!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You can't half a@@ results.

Bit rude?

100% accurate.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Knowing your TDEE doesn't matter if you don't know what how much you're eating.

It might if what MFP/fitbit is giving me is too low. Some days there is a 1,000 calorie difference between its calculations and the one on health-calc when I input what I've done that day.

I know what I'm eating, like I say, my eating habits don't change much. Even on the days I don't log it it it's been the same as before.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Based on your stats, your BMR is 1428 calories. The activity level you have described is basically sedentary. A sedentary TDEE for your stats would be 1713.

So, for you to lose weight you should aim for a calorie intake between 1428 and 1713.

If you have been eating roughly 2000 calories, this would explain why you are not losing weight.

However, as others have pointed out, in order to really know how much you are ingesting, then you are going to have to log your food diligently, for at least a few weeks, so that you can get a true picture of your intake.

The only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit. Without the data, there is no way to know if you are doing this or not. So, I'm afraid that you are going to have to bite the bullet and start using the food diary for every meal, every day.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Log everything. Then talk to me in three weeks if you're still not losing consistently... :) Seriously though, if you aren't logging diligently, how on earth do you know what you're really taking in? Because I had NO idea what a "portion" of something was until I started weighing it and logging it.
    THIS^
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

It might if what MFP/fitbit is giving me is too low. Some days there is a 1,000 calorie difference between its calculations and the one on health-calc when I input what I've done that day.

I know what I'm eating, like I say, my eating habits don't change much. Even on the days I don't log it it it's been the same as before.

You've logged maybe two days this month.

Fact is you don't know how many calories you're consuming.

Nothing else matters if you don't have a handle on that.
  • diannethegeek
    Options

I know that this post is starting to sound like a broken record, but I'm going to repeat my earlier question because I think it's important. Are you weighing/measuring your portion sizes?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I know what I'm eating...

Famous last words. I thought I did, too, until I started logging. The evidence is overwhelming that people absolutely suck at "knowing" what they're eating.

Anyway, you've gotten very consistent answers to your question - at this point it's pretty much at the "take it or leave it" stage.

Only other suggestion is to read the "Mean people of MFP" thread...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

"Don't change much" =/= a calorie deficit. You need to weigh your food and log it for a while or you really have no idea how many calories you are consuming. People tend to seriously underestimate calories consumed and overestimate calories burned. It's just human nature. Take the guesswork out of it.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Based on your stats, your BMR is 1428 calories. The activity level you have described is basically sedentary. A sedentary TDEE for your stats would be 1713.

So, for you to lose weight you should aim for a calorie intake between 1428 and 1713.

If you have been eating roughly 2000 calories, this would explain why you are not losing weight.

However, as others have pointed out, in order to really know how much you are ingesting, then you are going to have to log your food diligently, for at least a few weeks, so that you can get a true picture of your intake.

The only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit. Without the data, there is no way to know if you are doing this or not. So, I'm afraid that you are going to have to bite the bullet and start using the food diary for every meal, every day.

How do you get sedentary? I am far from sedentary. I'm on my feet at work for at least 6 hours - walking, lifting, upper body movements. Then some bodyweight exercise at home and 1 hour walk 2-3 times a week.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

It really doesn't matter what your TDEE calculates out to be. It's only a rough estimate and should be used as a starting guideline. Results are what matter most. If you're eating 2100 and maintaining weight, then 2100 is your TDEE. Subtract 20% from that and have a go at it, I bet you'll lose weight. Simple!

Given that you aren't accurately monitoring your intake, then your accurate TDEE is even less relevant. If what you're eating now is causing you to maintain weight for a long period of time, eat a small amount less.