calorie counting is impossible in the long run

Options
123457»

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    OK......Give me your opinion.

calorie counting leads to obsession.It is not ideal for permanent fatloss.Instead one should focus on nourishing ones body and use
    progressive strength training to get stronger .Fatloss will be a byproduct of getting healthy...

Not calories counting, for many, leads to weight being put on.

It hardly takes a few minutes per day to log my food and drink, I shall do so and I would not say I am being obsessive in the slightest LOL.

Regarding which activity people do, that is also up to them and to say that everybody should do progressive strength training to get stronger is putting everybody in nice, neat little boxes, life just isn't like that.

I say, leave people to do what they want and let them be to pursue whichever activity they choose, believe it or not, not everybody hankers to go to the gym and do weights even though many will push that agenda on this site.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    NOW DON'T GET ME WRONG.NOT EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE A FITNESS MODEL.EATING CLEAN AND SERIOUS WEIGHT TRAINING WILL DEFINITELY STEER YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.IT WILL PROBABLY TAKE MORE TIME.BUT IT WILL SAVE MANY FEMALES FROM GETTING AN EATING DISORDER.ALL I WANT TO SAY IS THAT IT CAN BE A GREAT PLACE FOR A PERSON TO START.THEN ONE CAN TAKE THE NEXT STEP.I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE DESTROYING THEIR LIVES AND RELATIONSHIPS DUE TO DISORDERED EATING.
    Wow.

Stop yelling.

Eating clean is stupid and unnecessary.

Getting the right number of calories for my body is not disordered, it's the opposite of disordered.

I am not yelling.Just want a solid impartial discussion
    Counting is just a tool. It does not cause disordered eating. The problem is setting unhealthy/unrealistic goals and trying to achieve them through extreme eating. If someone is 5'3" and wants to weigh 90 pounds then it's not going to be counting that makes the difference between them developing an eating disorder or not.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    how else do you propose I focus on nourishing my body? tracking is how I know that I'm giving my body what it needs.

There is a vast difference between dieting and nourishing.Bodybuilders strive for asthetics.They do hardcore dieting and deplete their bodies.They may be very lean but they are not prime examples of health.

Not all of us here are dieting. I'm in maintenance, and tracking helps me make sure I get enough protein.
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Try counting your protiens, starches, veges, fruits, dairy and fats instead. I find this works well for me. Have the recommended daily allowance of each of these and zip...the weight begins to come off. It will be slow...1-2 lbs a week, but that is what you want in the long run. Add in cardio and strength training and your weightloss will be even more significant.

3 weeks in and down 12 lbs.:happy:

This can work and is, in fact, what my dietitian suggested, and I follow it. BUT you MUST measure your portion sizes...that is critical...because, basically, this is just another way to count calories...without actually counting the calories. So, I count my calories too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Meh. Whatever. If it's what works, I'll do it. Better than the alternative.
  • fitbulky
    Options
    Thanks ..........for all the answers.Thank you all
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    that was a fantastic response, and one I agree with wholeheartedly.