Flu Shots? thoughts

Options
Do you or your family get your flu shots? What are your thoughts on them??

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    In my entire life I have only had one, the one they made me get when I was pregnant. We don't get them for my son because the shot has egg in it and he is allergic and would have to go to the Children's Hospital an hour away for 3 separate doses.

He and I BOTH got the flu in January this year though and it sucked. I hadn't had it in years and he had never had it. I am slightly considering getting it this year and am interested in hearing what others have to say.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyone should get the flu shot. It significantly decreases your chances of contracting, and therefore spreading, the flu.

Plus the flu sucks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Till last year, I never got them. Now that I work in a hospital supported gym, I either wear a mask or get the shot. I didn't want to wear the mask for 3 months.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Flu sucks. I get the shot.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get them through my work, and my kids will get them. The flu shot is an inactive virus, and the flu mist is a live virus. They protect against the strains that put people in the hospital. Definitely get them unless you do have an egg allergy.
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't. Got it a couple times and got the flu, haven't got the shot in years and haven't had the flu either. I'm of the opinion that only the at risk members of the population should consider it.
  • addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty rubbish immune system (I think it's genetic because so does my Mum) and I used to smoke so I'm prone to lung infections. I'd rather not take any chances so I always get it
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I always get it, my kid always gets it. He's never had the flu, I haven't had it since I started getting it regularly.

My wife has had it twice since our son was born, she hasn't gotten the shot. I'm might get her drunk and take her to the clinic this year.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I'm might get her drunk and take her to the clinic this year.

Sounds like a hot date to me.
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Yes, my kids and I get them. My husband doesn't but only because he's allergic to it. I do get a bit achy for about 24-48 hours after it, but in comparison to the actual flu, it is a walk in the park. I will always get it!!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    We get them for the whole family, every year. Before I started getting them, I would end up with a terrible flu, every year, right around the holidays. Which sucks. Now I don't, which doesn't suck at all.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten it and I've never have had the flu. When I'm older or if something comes up where I find I have a compromised immune system and I'm at risk I'll probably get it.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I've been required to for the past 6 years... I've also only ever gotten the flu 6 times.... the times I've been forced to take the shot...

Not happy about it, but it's part of my job
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I work for a hospital, and therefore I get it. I don't want to get the flu myself, nor do I want to risk being a carrier and bringing the virus into contact with compromised patients.

This year, though, our hospital is mandating flu shots for the first time (it's always been encouraged and provided for free). Mandated! So I'm guessing it's predicted to be a bad flu year around here.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I've only had a really bad flu twice, both years I got the flu shot.

A friend works in a medical office and they are required to get it. They had to close for 2 days last year as they had over 50% of staff out sick.

No thanks.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    All for flushots. There were years where I opted out and didn't get sick, but it's not a bad idea to get it. The shot won't make you sick with the actual flu as people believe.

I previously also worked in a healthcare office setting and glad they provided the shots on site.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    To each their own, personally I do not believe in them.
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm might get her drunk and take her to the clinic this year.

Sounds like my husband's plan. He's a pharmacist and is always nagging me to let him give me one.

I've never had the shot, and I've only have the actual flu once that I can recall. It was pretty bad, but not as bad as watching Osmosis Jones during it and being convinced I was going to die.

I've got a pretty solid immune system and I'm not around people who are immunocompromised so I don't really see the need at this time. I've heard arguments for herd immunity but I don't see how it would work with something that changes and evolves every season. To me it's kind of like buying a brand new Iphone when the next generation is coming out in 3 months.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    get any and all shots you can. the more we protect ourselves the more we are preventing pandemics!. we have polio, rhubella, measles, etc resurfacing all over the world, killing people in massive numbers bacause people "thought" they were erradicated. guess what, the're not! Protect yourself, protect your children!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    No flu shot for me. Never had the shot, never had the flu and haven't had a cold in over 10 years (knock on wood). 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar daily keeps me very healthy year round.