Flu Shots? thoughts

Options

Replies

• MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    We don’t do flu shots, as we tend to veer more toward the anti-vac crowd. I think people should do what they believe is right for their own health and the health of their families when it comes to vaccinations. I don’t push my vaccination beliefs on others like some of the celebrities, but I do maintain my right to make choices about my own body and one of those choices is to decline certain injections. To each their own.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    We don’t do flu shots, as we tend to veer more toward the anti-vac crowd. I think people should do what they believe is right for their own health and the health of their families when it comes to vaccinations. I don’t push my vaccination beliefs on others like some of the celebrities, but I do maintain my right to make choices about my own body and one of those choices is to decline certain injections. To each their own.

People who decide not to get their children vaccinated, without good medical reason, should be put in jail for child abuse.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options

And you have COPD? One of the diseases at highest risks for complications from the flu? You certainly have the right, but boy, that seems like an awfully huge risk to take with your life. And that is what it is. Every year. At any time.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    People who are immunocompromised shouldnt be running around with normal people in the first place. It is one of the precautions medical professionals tell them.

Because people who are immunocompromised don't have bills to pay, especially medical bills.

If they are immunocompromised, the flu is really the least of their worries.

They are not supposed to be around normal people in crowded areas or be in too much contact, bottom line. You dont see chemo patients running around

Yes, you DO see chemo patients running around! You just don't know it! Have you ever had chemo? Some regimens are 1 day on, 4 weeks off, 3 weeks off. People go on with their lives during chemo--work, go to school, etc. We need that medical insurance to pay for the chemo, because it ain't cheap. You don't sit holed up in your house 24/7. I worked, my best friend worked, a news anchor here in town worked during her chemo. We're not emaciated, pale, frail beings in a wheelchair--we look like everyone else, except when we're not wearing our wigs. In fact, since you get steroids with chemo, some of us actually GAIN weight.

I did not have chemo when I was treated for cancer but I did have radiation and I was not allowed in public, I could not use a bathroom without flushing the toilet 3 times, had to use disposable everything, couldn't see, touch or hold my kids for 7 days and even then it was questionable. Yes cancer patients are normal people and most can do everyday things BUT it is important to remember every case is different - I have a weak immune system due to having cancer, I gained 60#s from my treatment, I have no energy I could keep going but what does this have to do with a simple question such as getting a flu shot! We all have our reasons to get them or not to get them!
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Just my opinion, but denying children vaccinations like measles, mumps, rubella, is child abuse.

OK. Thanks for your opinion? We all have opinions about what other people do or don't do with their children.
    The OP was asking us what we thought about the flu shot and I provided my perspective in that regard.
    I'm not here to judge anyone for the decisions they make via their parenting choices.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    No way. I have never had a flu shot and I have never had the flu, or even a bad cold. Coincidence? I doubt it.
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've never had a flu shot and don't plan on starting. Rationally, I know it's completely anecdotal, but I've seen too many people get the shot and get really, really sick, while I don't and feel fine. Science tells me that it's not connected, but I just can't wrap my brain around it. *shrug*

My kid, however, is fully vax'd. I am not interested in rolling the dice with him. My parents had friends who got polio, and let me tell you, my kid is NOT getting that.
  • cristynfaye
    cristynfaye Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Get your shots. Get all your shots, and make sure your kids get their vaccines too. Even if you don't normally get the flu, you could still be a carrier for it. Vaccines aren't just about protecting ourselves, they are also about protecting those around us-mainly small children, the elderly, or people who can't otherwise get vaccines. They are VERY important, and you're lucky if you live in a country where they are easily accessible.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    Never. My mom when she was my age nearly died from a rare disease caused by the flu shot, needless to say she didn't want to lose her babies.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    The one year I didn't get a flu shot (the year they were rationing them) I caught the flu twice, a stomach virus and strep throat within a month and a half span. It wrecked my body and permanently messed up my parasympathetic nervous system. I was bedridden for three months because my blood pressure dropped so low it couldn't hold my body upright. I'm still suffering the effects of it 8 years later.

I will always get a flu shot as long as it is available to me.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    People who are immunocompromised shouldnt be running around with normal people in the first place. It is one of the precautions medical professionals tell them.

Because people who are immunocompromised don't have bills to pay, especially medical bills.

If they are immunocompromised, the flu is really the least of their worries.

They are not supposed to be around normal people in crowded areas or be in too much contact, bottom line. You dont see chemo patients running around

Yes, you DO see chemo patients running around! You just don't know it! Have you ever had chemo? Some regimens are 1 day on, 4 weeks off, 3 weeks off. People go on with their lives during chemo--work, go to school, etc. We need that medical insurance to pay for the chemo, because it ain't cheap. You don't sit holed up in your house 24/7. I worked, my best friend worked, a news anchor here in town worked during her chemo. We're not emaciated, pale, frail beings in a wheelchair--we look like everyone else, except when we're not wearing our wigs. In fact, since you get steroids with chemo, some of us actually GAIN weight.

You are not supposed to run around when during nadir. Especially in crowded areas.

I have had 2 family members that have had chemo. I pretty much was at the hospital every week over several eyars

At nadir, you don't feel like running around. It's the rest of the time when you're trying to live a normal life that you're out and about.
  • MellowMe
    Options
    I get the shot all of the time but oddly enough, I end up getting the flu almost every single time.
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have gotten a flu shot for the past six years and have gotten the flu two of those years. Not just throwing up, real, 7 days in bed with a fever flu. It is horrible. So I will get a flu shot this year as well. It is not 100%, but I would rather do what I can to stay healthy.
    My husband also gets one. My kids don't. I let them chose and if they get sick, they see consequences. They are teens, it is time to learn life lessons.
  • shawmutt
    shawmutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    *Disclaimer* I work for a major pharmaceutical firm that produces one of the major flu vaccines. I'm not speaking on their behalf and won't be mentioning the name of the company. Let's just say my kids enjoy the nasal vaccine a lot more than the shot ;-) That being said, I'm not a salesman or anything, just a grunt that actually makes the medicine on the production floor.

My family gets one every year, free of charge, and earlier than most. My son deals with severe eczema and is often immune compromised, my wife is a school teacher, and I just have a crappy immune system. They all get me sick with something multiple times in a given year, and I'd rather not add the flu to that mix.

For those on the fence, one thing to consider is herd immunity. Although you may not get very sick from the flu (or show symptoms at all), you may pass it on to someone like a grandparent or infant who cannot handle it well. The more people are vaccinated, the less likely an outbreak of the flu will affect a community. Consider the measles and mumps outbreaks we have been having lately. This is a direct result of the fear-mongering, "mommy sense", anti-vaccine crowd.

If you're scared of the needle, just get the nasal spray.
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    The one time I got the flu shot...I spent the next two days with a horrible stomach ache. I have not had the flu shot since. I have not had the flu either.
    Also...if all of you who are worried about getting the flu...get the flu shot...what does it matter if some don't get the flu shot? You will be covered.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    my family gets the shot...kiddos get the nasal vaccine
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I beleive that the flu shot is overused, much like antibiotics. Viruses are extremely adaptable and mutate and I think that the overuse of the vaccine is causing extremely virulent strains of the flu. Just like the superbugs we are seeing in relation to the overuse/misuse of antibiotics.

i think the flu shot should be used as it was in years past for those that would likely suffer the most damaging or life threatening complications from the flu. I work in healthcare and it is becoming mandatory in that setting to prevent possible transmission to immunocompromised patients.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have a special needs grandson with a comprimised immune system. Yes, we all get vaccinated.