9/11/01 Where were you?

Options

Replies

• Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Hoboken, NJ right across the river from the trade center. went into NY 2 or 3 days later- ground zero and thanked rescue workers near a red cross makeshift center. my profile picture is my buddy'e grave. I knew 2 people in the towers...one got out and one died.

Thank you for sharing.
    That is a different perspective.
    I had not seen a headstone from 9/11...

The headstone is in Connecticut. I remember the day I found out he died. I was watching the news in November and they reported that they identified the remains of more victims. Then I saw my friends picture. I did a double take then called a friend who went to college with us to talk about it.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    was living in vegas,still on drugs back then. I remember watching on tv and not feeling a thing,but drugs will do that to you
  • jeannie55
    jeannie55 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was at the Palm Beach County Court house researching liens on different company's. I had just finished and was heading down stairs. At the jury waiting room which is surrounded by glass you could see a TV and a plan crashing into a building. You couldn't hear what was going so I kept going. Once I got in my car and turned the radio on, the station I listen to was saying that we were being attached and that the plan had crashed into the tower. I couldn't believe what I was hearing so I raced back to my office, once I got there everyone was in the conference room trying to get an old TV to work. As the news came on we saw what was going on, i'm not sure at what point we got the TV to work because I was just sitting there crying for all the people who lost there lives. I do remember someone telling me that the tower had fallen and another plan crashed into the Pentagon. I will never forget the scared feeling that came over me or the pain and sorrow I felt for all the people that lost there life or for the families that lost loved ones.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Hoboken, NJ right across the river from the trade center. went into NY 2 or 3 days later- ground zero and thanked rescue workers near a red cross makeshift center. my profile picture is my buddy'e grave. I knew 2 people in the towers...one got out and one died.

Thank you for sharing.
    That is a different perspective.
    I had not seen a headstone from 9/11...

Actually, the headstone is in Connecticut.

Poignant, none the less ...
  • Luwright321
    Luwright321 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I worked at a knife factory and was at work inspecting blades when a co-worker came up from the back of the plant and told us a small plane had crashed into the WTC. We all thought it was just an accident then a little while later he came back and told us another plane hit the second tower. Work stopped all over the plant as everyone gathered around radios to hear what was happening. We only live a couple hours away from NYC and many people in our area left to go to the city to help. A few people in neighboring towns worked in the FDNY and were killed that day. I had never felt so helpless and lost and confused. That is a day I will never forget.
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    In 8th grade. My teacher turned on the television for a little then turned it off. We had a mini therapy session as a class and we were all in tears. We were dismissed early and I cried the rest of the day. My mom told me I'd be lucky to make it to 16. Well I'm 25 and still alive! And the country is still here. :drinker:
  • BigSnicka
    BigSnicka Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in my office in New London, Connecticut which is about 2 hours away from NYC and about 2 hours away from Boston where one of the planes took off.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Attempting to reach the father of my unborn child to tell him I was pregnant. He had went to visit his family in Massachussettes and I was in Florida. I knew he liked to take his mother into New York City and was worried he was there when I couldn't reach him and I got worried and stayed that way until he finally called.
  • bdeezy3396
    bdeezy3396 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I live in Windsor, Ontario across from Detroit, Michigan.
    I was walking at my favourite city park that borders the Detroit River.
    It was a gorgeous, sunny, blue sky morning.

After my walk, I went to Remark Farms for some produce and that's where I found out that the bridge and tunnel to the US had been closed but the cashier wasn't clear as to why.
    When I left, I turned on the radio and that's when I learned of the 1st plane hitting the tower and of the horrific events unfolding.

I live close to the flight path of Windsor airport and the American planes also fly over at times and it was so eerily quiet for several days afterward.

I was at work that day in Ann Arbor and once this all happened I tried to contact my wife who was 8 months pregnant. She wasn't answering and nobody knew where she was. I finally got a call from her and she was over in Windsor playing Bingo and they closed the border. Once they opened the border we met at home and were glued to the TV. Went to the 911 memorial last February, and it was a very somber experience.
  • sillyrichie
    sillyrichie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was in southwestern Manitoba, Canada. That's where I'm originally from. However, I was getting ready for work at the time and my ex had the channel tuned to news. I heard him yell from the living room, so I came running. It was one of those moments where it feels like time stops and you're just left there watching events unfold. All day at work I kept stealing away to watch more news stories, and for weeks after I kept reading as much as I could. It was so surreal...so shocking...and it feels even more so now that I live in southwestern Virginia and you can see the effects of that day still touching lives. Just heartbreaking.
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Ironically, I was in my high school history class
  • sbaldino29
    sbaldino29 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    At home, in Connecticut, with my 1 year old. My mom called me because she was traveling to New Jersey and was crossing the George Washington Bridge in NYC when the second plane hit. She asked me what was going on, I told her to get off the bridge, turn around and head back home!
  • stargirlll
    stargirlll Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was in grade three and it was the beginning of the day. An announcement came on over the PA and we were told to stand for a minute of silence.. we weren't sure what was going on, but we knew it was bad. I found out when I went home that afternoon. Even for a third grader from Canada, it tore me up. Prayers for any and all who were affected by the tragedy that day.. <3
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I was working for the government on the 10th floor in a government building Downtown Indianapolis, IN. I worked the whole day, they didn't evacuate, just evacuated the politicians in the city-county building next to us! It was scary watching the helicopters and planes out of the 10th floor window until the 'no fly' order. I watched the news for days and cried for all of those people and their families!
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    This question is asked once a year, evey year.

It is...and while I answered, I still find it annoying that people do this...every year. And the whole thing is played on TV...every year. I remember being at work on 9/11/02 and they played everything on the radio. It was awful.
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    no joke... I was at the gym on elliptical and listening to Howard Stern. he was awesome I remember he narrated the whole thing from his New York radio station.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i was asleep. phone rang and rang and rang. picked it up finally and it was my brother telling me to turn on the TV that a plane had just hit the WTC.

watched till the tower fell.

i try not to watch anything else on it cause it really creeps me out to watch specially when they show the people jumping for their lives etc
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    no joke... I was at the gym on elliptical and listening to Howard Stern. he was awesome I remember he narrated the whole thing from his New York radio station.

yep- his broadcast was amazing! They repeat it every year. I turned it on today to listen, but for some reason it wasnt on.
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Its like asking where were u when pres. Kennedy was shot... Nobody forgets that stuff. Its traumatizing enmass. I wasnt born when jfk died, but my parents n grandparents have detailed memoriesof that day in history.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    This question is asked once a year, evey year.

It is...and while I answered, I still find it annoying that people do this...every year. And the whole thing is played on TV...every year. I remember being at work on 9/11/02 and they played everything on the radio. It was awful.

Then turn off your TV and radio, and don't participate on threads like this. People can choose to remember, or not remember, in any fashion they so choose.