9/11/01 Where were you?

Options
Railr0aderTony
Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
As we remember Today the victims of the 9/11 attack let's all recall our whereabouts and the feeling you had when you heard the news.

I was working in Wapakoneta Ohio on the Railroad operating a directional boring machine to put in cables for a new installation. I had a headset on and my foreman radioed me to shut it down and get to the truck and turn on the radio. I really did not take him seriously but i finished what i was doing and shut down the machine and took my time getting back to the truck. At that point the world as I knew it changed. The next couple hours are a blurr as we packed up all the equiptment and went back to the motel and we were all glued to the tv watching the footage. I hardly remember checking out or the three hour drive home to North Manchester, Indiana. I got home right about the time the towers collasped and I remember just being shocked. Just wanting my kids with me, just wanting to understand why someone would do this to innocent people.

So MFP what are your stories?

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    study hall. The teacher turned on the news and I thought it was a joke.
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    At school (high school) I was a freshman, and we really didn't understand what was happening until we got home, and since I live in Chicago we had fighter jets flying over our heads patrolling the skies.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Heard the news on my way to my teaching job. The radio news was piecey, couldn't make much sense of it; I was late, rushing & distracted. I got in ready to apologize and found it was the last thing that mattered; saw staff & students clustered around TVs pulled into the lounge, so still. What I saw on there was a movie, a dream. Feeling: simple shock, my assumptions about the world busted.

Also remember being in the bath, listening to Bush on the radio talking about defending against 'those who harbour terrorists' and the chill I got from being terrified of that.
  • MdotSole
    MdotSole Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was a Highschool sophomore in shop class. We were all sent home early from school, it was hard to comprehend what was actually happening. Being a 15 year old in Chicago I felt so disconnected from the event in NYC - just seemed like a final scenes of action movie.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    In differential equations at University of Alabama at Birmingham. Walking down the stairs of Campbell hall after class let out, a buddy got a phone call and told us that we just got bombed. Got to a TV in time to see the towers fall.
  • nblais06
    nblais06 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in freshman economics class. While my teacher was freaking out as her brother was supposed to on a flight that very morning. Turns out he missed his flight! Crazy!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Waking up for my class, a guy from down the hall came in running saying the towers got attacked. Turned on the TV and watched the second plane crash into the south tower.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I was in my junior year at UCF. I was getting ready for class and chatting on IRC (geek) when they were saying to turn on the news. At that point only the first plane had struck. I was still watching when the 2nd plane hit. Then I had to go to class... I was one of about 3 people who knew anything because it was still early in the morning. Campus was closed after 12PM that day... My roommates and I sat glued to the news for the next couple days...
  • veg_jen
    veg_jen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I woke up to NPR saying a plane had hit the World Trade Center. It was my morning alarm to get up for work. It didn't make any sense so I hit the snooze button. Nine minutes later NPR was back, saying something about a jet hitting the tower. I sat up in bed, grabbed the remote and stayed there for the rest of the day, flipping back and forth between news channels. It was just so shocking. I'll never forget it.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I was in 4th grade. Around lunch time, mom came and picked me up. Not sure why she did it. Maybe out of fear. Either way, I spent the day at home working on the homework I would have been missing as well as overhearing the news and not really understanding the implications of the event.
  • BeTheFire
    BeTheFire Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    2nd night of college, and it was cancelled. Went and had dinner at then-girlfriends house while we watched the news. Ed McCaffery (Broncos) broke his femur the night before in season opener.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I got my son onto the school bus and walked into my Mom and Dad's house in time to see the second plain hit the tower.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    History Class, teacher turned on the TV. He was very upset as his son lived very close to the towers.

:( God Rest The Souls That Were Lost On That Day!
  • opheliaphoenix
    opheliaphoenix Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    I was getting ready for school my senior year of HS, and I walked into the living room and saw my dad sitting on a footstool just a few feet in front of the TV with this eerily vacant look of disbelief on his face. I asked him what was up, and he didn't say anything, and that's when I turned around and saw what was happening on TV. My parents had me stay home from school that day, and we ended up watching the disaster coverage all day. It was so sad.
  • xoxolindseym
    Options
    I was in second grade. We were going to learn our multiplication tables. I remember my teacher got choked up and he gathered us around on the floor in a circle and tried to explain what happened. The teacher's helper was in complete tears. Lots of parents came and got their kids to take them home. I know we were all a little young to completely understand what was going on but looking back it gives me chills. Such a horrifying disaster.
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK and I remember it well

I was just finishing a day at school and my mum came to pick me up and said "something terrible has happened"

I got home, turned on the TV - and watched...not believing my eyes

Unfortunately, this happened again a few years later in 2005 with the London bombings - only this time, I experienced it differently in that my dad was in London - using the tube, so I spent a lot of the morning desperately trying to reach him. Thankfully he was OK, but it gave me a whole new perspective on how those involved in 9/11 felt

My thoughts are with the thousands who lost loved ones, and those living with the memories of 12 years ago
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    high school junior. i found out between classes in the hallway from my best friend who was near tears because her sister lived in NYC. after that i saw tvs on in most classes.
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    Working in a big bank in Switzerland. Suddenly my colleague in NY told me via chat. Immediately went to a tv to watch all
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    On afternoon shift at work. We had the tv's on & some of my colleagues thought a movie was being played. Gives me goosebumps every time I think about it.
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    At home, watching on TV...packing my bags.