9/11/01 Where were you?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So MFP what are your stories?
    I decided to call in sick to work, before the towers were hit, and was basically chilling in bed with my gf at the time going down on me when they showed it happen on CNN. I figured it was a movie trailer.

Until they kept showing it. Over and over. So I actually paid attention and I was really surprised, and saddened by the attack. However, I realized it was the investment the government was hoping for. I knew the moment it happened, it was game on for some really draconian laws that were going to be jammed up our collective keesters.

So, I spent the rest of the day with that girl, a couple of her girlfriends and we partied pretty hard, made them all breakfast the next day, and I went walk about for a week. Told work they'd survive just fine until I got back, and headed to the mountains.
  • I was in English class (senior year) my teacher at the time was ex military and I remeber him stopping class and we watched the news. He explained what it meant for the US and what we would most likely happen. I am from Louisiana and hour away from New Orleans and I remeber that afternoon for our band practice we seen nothing but fighter jets soaring in the skies protecting our area and not knowing if the Ports in New Orleans would be the next area hit. I know I felt fear that day. Not only the uncertainty of an attack on our port , but for all the families that lost their love ones or did not know the whereabout for their love ones. It is a day that will never be forgotten.

RIP the victims and Thank you to our military that has served and protected us since that day so we have the freedom to write about our memories.
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I was 18 years old, working as a 911 dispatcher and was on afternoon shifts. I woke up to the horror and watched the news all day until I had to go to work, where I continued to watch the chaos and heart break unfold. I kept thinking to myself if I was a dispatcher in NY would I be able to do my job, thinking about my officers/firefighters/EMT's and trying to keep them safe. As a dispatcher they are your priority, their life lines. I will never forget that day and I still cry watching the footage or hearing those calls.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    High school 11th grade. They let us go home early that day. RIP to all the victims
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I was at work. I had a conference call scheduled with our bankers in NYC. They weren't answering.

My friend Rosa came over and asked if I'd heard "about the planes and the towers". I waited for a punch line, but she just stared at me. I was the only one on our floor who had an actual radio so I cranked up WGN (Chicago News Radio) and we just sat and listened..... Work gave us the option of going home. Nobody did. We didn't work much that day, but it was good to be together. The company bought a ton of TV's and set them up....leaving the internet for those people trying to get in touch with loved ones.

My strongest memory, though, was the drive home thru my neighborhood. Everyone was outside. Flags were already flying. The news was so horrific people chose to actually be neighbors than to watch the news.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Downtown Manhattan. Nuff said. :cry:
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I was a newlywed. And this was all before my ex had gone bat$hit crazy and started being abusive so we were doing newlywed "things." we lived in an apartment and our downstairs neighbor started banging on her ceiling, objecting the noise when it was really not that loud so we didn't understand what she was so cranky about. we got up and went to get breakfast and turned on the tv. most of the channels were out so we thought the cable was out. then we found what we thought was a movie instead of maury on. it struck us that it was not a movie. it was real. we looked out or apartment window towards the city and saw a cloud of smoke that was unreal. it looked like a mushroom cloud over it. my now ex drove to this one bridge not far from home and watched the 2nd tower fall. i was supposed to have my 1st class for the new semester that night but it got canceled. he had to work. i was home and hated it there. i was freaking out. i decided to go run errands just to keep my mind occupied. i remember going to the grocery store and it was a ghost town. only employees. they were huddled together around a tv and crying. it hit me how bad this was and i decided to go pick up my little sister who was only 6 from her school. they didn't even question me. they didn't call my mom to confirm it was ok. they just knew i was her sister so they released her to me. i tried to shield her from it all the rest of the day.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I was in second grade, and I remember sitting on the floor while my teacher read us a story. I remember hearing lots of kids from my classes getting called down to be picked up and not understanding why. My friend's mom picked her and I up and explained what happened. I was scared for my dad as he worked in the city, but he was alright, thank god.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I live in California so it was really early when it happened.
    I was driving to work, heard on the radio that a plane had hit the world trade center and the first thing I thought was "Ooops"
    I couldn't think of anyone doing it on purpose, I thought someone had screwed up and hit it on accident. When I got to work (I worked in a lab/clean room) and that is when I found out what was really going on. We all watched the news on our computers. A couple of hours into the day they let whoever wanted to go home. It was a crazy day.
    The thing I really remember was noticing the lack of airplanes in the skies in the days after. And wondering if there was going to be anything going on on our side of the country. I remember the national guard patrolling the bridges in SF and all of that craziness.
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in my computer room watching sportscenter with the volume down and surfing on AOL, don't really even remember what I was looking at, but I looked over at the TV and saw it and couldn't believe it had happened. I had to check the station to make sure that my cat hadn't come in and changed it to one of the movie channels and this was a real good special effect. I signed off the dial up and called my wife and we both just sat there and watched in horror as it unfolded.
  • _cdngirl71_
    _cdngirl71_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Being on the West Coast I was in bed. I worked late the night before so I didn't get up until 9am pacific time and by then the towers were gone. I turned on the TV and couldn't believe what was going on. Phoned my mother to find out what the hell happened. Then the re-runs of the morning events started and I just cried. Very sad day.
  • DaveJ_43
    DaveJ_43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was at work in Washington, DC, just across the Potomac River from the Pentagon. I received an email from a friend about the first plane, and then another about the second (no accident), and then the Pentagon was hit and the sky was filled with black smoke. DC was evacuated. I hunkered down with a friend who lived near the Capital to watch the news unfold. You had to walk. The streets were packed and the subway was a threat. Everyone was afraid - what was coming next?

Later that night, I felt safe enough to ride the subway. I was alone on the train will never forget seeing National Airport look like a ghost town. My wife picked me up at the station and when I saw the little heads of my 3 young sons poking up from the back seat, I broke down crying, thinking of all the people who wouldn't make it home to their families. Even now I cry for them.

Later that day, I learned that one of my best friends, who worked in the WTC, was missing, and then a few days later, we all came to realize that he didn't survive. JR and I played college lacrosse together, spent a month in Ireland together, stood up for each other at our weddings. We were as thick as thieves. We had a lot of laughs. His son was born a month after he died - he was so happy to be having a son.

Tonight I raise a glass of Jameson's for JR, may he rest in peace. And may we all find peace.

OP - Thanks for starting this topic. It's good to remember.

Dave
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I was at work in Washington, DC, just across the Potomac River from the Pentagon. I received an email from a friend about the first plane, and then another about the second (no accident), and then the Pentagon was hit and the sky was filled with black smoke. DC was evacuated. I hunkered down with a friend who lived near the Capital to watch the news unfold. You had to walk. The streets were packed and the subway was a threat. Everyone was afraid - what was coming next?

Later that night, I felt safe enough to ride the subway. I was alone on the train will never forget seeing National Airport look like a ghost town. My wife picked me up at the station and when I saw the little heads of my 3 young sons poking up from the back seat, I broke down crying, thinking of all the people who wouldn't make it home to their families. Even now I cry for them.

Later that day, I learned that one of my best friends, who worked in the WTC, was missing, and then a few days later, we all came to realize that he didn't survive. JR and I played college lacrosse together, spent a month in Ireland together, stood up for each other at our weddings. We were as thick as thieves. We had a lot of laughs. His son was born a month after he died - he was so happy to be having a son.

Tonight I raise a glass of Jameson's for JR, may he rest in peace. And may we all find peace.

OP - Thanks for starting this topic. It's good to remember.

Dave

Sorry to hear of your loss. And yes, very good topic, indeed.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Driving my son to school and on the radio they announced what was happening and I got home and seen the horrific images. Just devastating
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    in eighth grade in school...I was in my English class when another teacher came over and told us
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Senior year of college in Albany, NY. A student came in late to my first class and announced it, she was worried about her mom who worked in one of the buildings, and the professor was annoyed by the interruption. After that, classes were cancelled and I walked back to my apartment where my husband (just barely married to him) was glued to the news.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I was in 7th grade middle school, early in the morning getting ready for school. My mom had the news on. I was confused and scared. It was a weird day at school for everyone. We didn't really do much work or anything.
  • Goal175lbs
    Goal175lbs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was 16 and a junior in high school. I was on the bus to my building contruction class. I heard it over the radio.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I was on my way to work...and I heard about it on the radio. I got to work & my co-workers and I were glued to the news websites all day. I remember trying to get in touch with my mom (who lives outside of Philly) and freaking out because I couldn't get through.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I had just turned the tv on and saw the 2nd plane going into the 2nd tower, I thought is was an advertisement for movie coming out, 2 mins later realizing it was real!! :cry: