My gym pet peeve is... What is yours?

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Oh, i just thought of another one. Squatters, i dont mean people who do squats (what's not to love about squats :) ), I mean those that have taken up residence on a piece of equipment. I know, rest between sets, but seriously, 5 mins between a set is taking the piss.

I regularly rest 5 minutes between sets when I'm squatting heavy.

Oh, and I'm on my phone during my rest periods.

Ok fine but move aside at least

Why?
    So others can get a set in while you rest

If they want to approach me and ask me to set in, then that is fine. But I'm not just going to unrack my weights and step aside after each set on the off-chance that someone might be waiting on me.

Fair enough i just am not that lazy i guess

Yeah. Because it is lazy to continuously rack and unrack 300lbs+ after each set.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Oh, i just thought of another one. Squatters, i dont mean people who do squats (what's not to love about squats :) ), I mean those that have taken up residence on a piece of equipment. I know, rest between sets, but seriously, 5 mins between a set is taking the piss.

Why?

If they want to approach me and ask me to set in, then that is fine. But I'm not just going to unrack my weights and step aside after each set on the off-chance that someone might be waiting on me.

Or maybe you're not lifting enough weight.

I'm not unracking 135lbs in between each set when I'm benching and I'm d@mn sure not unracking and re-racking 240lbs in between sets when I'm squatting.
    I could work in with you because we're doing about he same weight! Throw a little more weight on the bench, squat good to go. Wouldn't even be embarrassed that I'm a man. #Impressed
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    @goodmorning ( i am not going to quote spam) I am not lifting a lot right now thats true only about 70-90 pounds i have a shoulder injury if i dont sit there and refuse to let anyone else use it either most people i have encountered are nice enough to put their extra weight away
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    A young lady working at one of the gyms I go to thinks its okay to hug me from behind when I'm zoned out between sets. I had to talk to management twice now.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    The overwhelming anxiety I get knowing that whatever I'm doing somebody is not going to like it and post about it on a message board
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    A young lady working at one of the gyms I go to thinks its okay to hug me from behind when I'm zoned out between sets. I had to talk to management twice now.

Da *kitten*!?
    Creepy.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    People who give a flying ****** what anyone else is doing, unless they're in someone's way or truly doing something stupid and dangerous.

Leave me alone, I'm there to work out.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Old women in the locker room with stuff sagging everywhere and copious amounts of pubic hair who insist on walking around stark naked for long periods of time, bending over, reaching for things, socializing with strangers, etc. is all of that really necessary? Please put something on before you do these things. There is always at least one in every women's locker room.
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    When there are only 8 floor mats, it's 7 pm so it's really busy, and 1 person decides to double/triple up the mats, and there are none left! :huh: I have actually told someone off before because of it. Come on mother****er, you're not the only person in this huge gym! ****. lol
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    People
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    old ladies with their horrible pungent perfume.

other than that pretty much nothing else.

^This, particularly in the pool. There's nothing worse than turning your head for breath in mid-lap & getting blasted with the unexpected old lady perfume bomb........

When you show up in the morning to hit the pool & the lifeguard hasn't bothered to make their way into work, & the attendant signing you in doesn't bother to tell you even though they know you're there for the pool so that you get changed, rinse off & stand outside the locked pool until the same attendant walks in & finally tells you what's going on.......
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Some days racking somebody else's plates is the hardest part of my routine. That, and having to re-arrange the benches so I can get into the squat rack. It's not so much a peeve as just another part of the workout.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Old women in the locker room with stuff sagging everywhere and copious amounts of pubic hair who insist on walking around stark naked for long periods of time, bending over, reaching for things, socializing with strangers, etc. is all of that really necessary? Please put something on before you do these things. There is always at least one in every women's locker room.

It ain't just women..............
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have few. most have already been mentioned. one that hasn't is when the air conditioning isn't on. if it's too hot, I don't get in a good work out at all!
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    The "I blew off 60% of my shirt with deez gunz" guy.

Muscle-Shirt-Gym-Nipple.jpg
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    @goodmorning ( i am not going to quote spam) I am not lifting a lot right now thats true only about 70-90 pounds i have a shoulder injury if i dont sit there and refuse to let anyone else use it either most people i have encountered are nice enough to put their extra weight away

you sound like you are new to lifting and thats great...but the gym doesnt work the way you think it does. you should read up on gym protocol.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options

This ^^^^...while they play cards on their phones.
    If I fail on the last rep on my set I rest a full 5 min and hit all my reps in my next set. 5 min is not excessive if you are working at your max weight.
  • benlogan87
    benlogan87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    - Banging Weights on the machines. Control, control, control.
    - Sitting on your phone texting, during a set, no focus. Half assed rep. If your not going to do it properly, take a hike.
    - Getting on a machine, banging out a rep as fast as possible, with too little weight, then sitting there flexing after the "set".
    - Not putting the pin all the way in, hits on the inside of the machine as the weight goes up..cling, cling, cling. (Only apparent on certain makes of equipment where the weights are inside a metal column.

Just to name a few.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Why?

Lazy? DYEL?

Because if you really did, you'd know and understand that 2-5 min is the normal resting period.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The "I blew off 60% of my shirt with deez gunz" guy.

Muscle-Shirt-Gym-Nipple.jpg

This thread was pure ridiculousness until that picture.