Three weeks on my fitness pall not lost a single pound

Options
1235»

Replies

• needtoloseafewpounds
    Options
    Just in case the OP gets confused about the argument, I had to look for this picture in my hard drive. Two men can weigh 250 lbs and have the same exact BMI but they can look totally different. Note that the muscle-massed man is much slimmer :) So like other posters have mentioned, it's better to concentrate on losing body fat percentage more than dropping the scale.

bmi-vs-weight.jpg
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    Options
    lol I haven't left yet. You win on grammar. Im merely an aerospace engineer nUmbers, weight, and atmospheric variations are my deal. Oh that and late night vodka 7-up(diet) lol sorry to have been rude I did instigate it. Truce?

I suppose my rants are better put to use in the chit chat board

Truce :) I'm not the type to hold grudges and it's hard to make me dislike someone who's strong in science. It's actually my weakest subject.
  • Snugglzz
    Options
    lol I haven't left yet. You win on grammar. Im merely an aerospace engineer nUmbers, weight, and atmospheric variations are my deal. Oh that and late night vodka 7-up(diet) lol sorry to have been rude I did instigate it. Truce?

Truce :) I'm not the type to hold grudges and it's hard to make me dislike someone who's strong in science. It's actually my weakest subject.

Science?? do you mean physics Sorry that's the last cheap shot :)
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Science?? do you mean physics Sorry that's the last cheap shot :)

Come on, I'm sure you've got a pound of physics jokes up your sleeve!
  • Snugglzz
    Options
    lol good one
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

Come on, I'm sure you've got a pound of physics jokes up your sleeve!

I got one, I got one...

A photon walks into a hotel and checks in. The receptionist says 'Any luggage?' - the photon replies: 'No, I'm travelling light'.
  • Snugglzz
    Options
    not bad at all

Ok Boo your up
  • Snugglzz
    Options
    why cant you trust an atom.......because the make up everything
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I listened to a celebrity trainer yesterday and he said you should go more by the fit of your clothes than by pounds. If you have been working out your body is shifting, fat is turning into muscle and muscle weighs more than fat.
    My experience, I am losing but very slowly. I have however gone down 3 clothing sizes. Good luck to you!

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1lb of fat is the same weight as 1lb of muscle.
    I believe that the theory is that 1lb of fat takes up more room than 1lb of muscle.

Yeah but arguing that a pound can weigh less than a pound is far more entertaining.
    You're absolutely right! Carry on :drinker: :drinker:
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Ok been back to the start of your diary on 25th August and looks like I chose a particularly bad week calorie wise

That's what I am trying to say, even in that bad weak i was 2743 calories over target but 4300 under my required calories, remember i am 6 feet tall and weight 218 pounds.

The net total is 16000 calories deficit in 20 days.

I am worried that my body somehow does not respond to diet just like in ramadan when i don't loose weight ( i have been fasting in ramadan since i was 15 years old). I think my body has 'learned' to live on fewer amount of calories then it is "normal". A case in point my heart rate in ramadan.

One more point i would like to mention about myself is that my fat percentage for my weight is very low. I am 218 pounds, 6 feet tall but my body fat percentage is only 22%. I guess i have 'heavy' bones.

However, i have received some good advice here which i would summarize:

1. Take measurements, maybe i am loosing fat but gaining in muscle
    2. Maybe I am suffering from water retention.
    3. Need to use recipe mixer and weight scale to measure exact calories.
    4. Reduce Carbs in my diet.

I will give it 15 more days but if it doesn't than back to atkins as I have to go to a wedding in december and I want to fit into my wedding tuxedo.

Thankyou all.

It may also help if you would tell us what measure of calories you are using to say you are eating at such a deficit. The way MFP works is that you enter all of your personal details, height, weight etc, your lifestyle based on activity, how much you want to lose per week and it sets you a calorie target to achieve that weight loss goal. Every time you then do exercise over and above your daily routine you eat back between 50% and 100% of those additional calories.

I can only assume that you have calculated your TDEE and are working from that, which is different to the way MFP works. Try just sticking with MFP recommendations for 2 weeks and then see
  • divacowgirl
    Options
    I did not use the correct wording when I posted. Let me clarify, a pound of muscle takes up less physical space than a pound of muscle. As we exercise we lose fat but gain muscle becoming toned, therefore clothing becomes looser. Please forgive my incorrct statement.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You are going to get a ton of advice on here but only you know your whole situation. Calories in calories out blah blah blah. I can eat the same amount in calories but a higher content of carbs and maintain. Same amount of calories but change my macros to less carbs (NOT no carbs) more protein and viola. I drop the #'s. I have had stagnant weeks that are frustrating as can be and successes when I didn't think there would be. Try some adjustments an see if it helps but keep moving forward.

I agree...I don't count any more..i swore off boxed food, soda and drive throughs. Cook for yourself and watch your portions. Easy money if you are contcious .

Ps to this post where did you get the hawks back drop ticker

I just made the ticker. Entered a Seahawks logo I have saved as a photo and there you go. ;)

Go Hawks!
  • italiangirlinva
    italiangirlinva Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Supposedly, a pound is 3500 calories, not 500 (you say 2 lbs for 1000 calories.)
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Supposedly, a pound is 3500 calories, not 500 (you say 2 lbs for 1000 calories.)
    500 calories per day would be 3500 calories per week. Thus 1 lb per week. That's just a rule of thumb, but it's not inaccurate.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options

I had to look twice to understand what the OP meant, too. He meant that going by the numbers he should have lost a pound a week, but instead he's gained a pound a week, so his calculations would have to be off by 1,000 calories a day in order to not only NOT lose a pound, but gain a pound on top of that.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just use the recipe function in MFP and build the recipe using ingredients YOU use and how many servings it makes? Then it will be accurate and not an approximation. I get the impression its all assumptions and not actual calorie counting....

This... your estimations are going to be off, so you need to use the recipe function. In addition, the exercise calories on MFP are notoriously wrong, so if you are using that and then eating those calories back, you may not be at as much of a deficit as you think.

Try doing the TDEE minus method for calculating your calorie goal and then don't eat back your calories. I found that to be may more doable and accurate.
  • TheCriz76
    TheCriz76 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ok been back to the start of your diary on 25th August and looks like I chose a particularly bad week calorie wise

That's what I am trying to say, even in that bad weak i was 2743 calories over target but 4300 under my required calories, remember i am 6 feet tall and weight 218 pounds.

I am worried that my body somehow does not respond to diet just like in ramadan when i don't loose weight ( i have been fasting in ramadan since i was 15 years old). I think my body has 'learned' to live on fewer amount of calories then it is "normal". A case in point my heart rate in ramadan.

One more point i would like to mention about myself is that my fat percentage for my weight is very low. I am 218 pounds, 6 feet tall but my body fat percentage is only 22%. I guess i have 'heavy' bones.

I will give it 15 more days but if it doesn't than back to atkins as I have to go to a wedding in december and I want to fit into my wedding tuxedo.

Thankyou all.

I think you are actually making this too hard for yourself, by trying to say that you were under your total calories for 20 days. Take it ONE day at a time. Hit your Daily Allowance every day. Measure everything. Correctly. Don't guess. If you are making dinner build the recipe in the create a recipe feature, that way you can figure out what a serving size is. But whatever you do, don't give up. Good luck.
  • hussain79
    Options
    An amazing thing happened. I got so depressed that I ate to my hearts content on thursday and friday.Well may be not to my hearts content but I still ate about 2200 calories on both days. Then on saturday I came back to my fitness pal on motivation of my wife who she said "You look thin regardless of what weight scale is saying."

So I hit my target on saturday and weighed my self today. Viola i mirculously lost three pounds over the last three days. Maybe i just need to stick to it and accept the fact that weight loss is not always equal to calories in and calories out. There are more factors in play such as muscle and water content.

Just try to be patient with it. Hit my daily target and so what if my weight loss is .5 pounds instead of 2 pounds per week. Even with .5 pounds a week, I will be 13 kg lighter by end of the year and much much fitter and healthier.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Thankyou all.

I didn't fast this Ramadan due to my medical condition but usually I never lose weight during the Ramadan when fasting.
    I don't eat in the morning because I'm too sleepy, only eating at the Iftar. And I obviously eat more than usual - bread, soups, meat, salads, rice, sweets.
    Ok, I might not gain weight per se but I never lose weight during Ramadan.