question : will eating clean help me to lose weight faster

Options
Does eating clean have some advantages over just simple calorie counting?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    No.

Eat clean if you want to and it makes you happy, not because you think it's going to make you lose weight faster.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    No.

Eat clean if you want to and it makes you happy, not because you think it's going to make you lose weight faster.

How dare you change your name.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Not in my experience.
  • miller0438
    miller0438 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ok I thought it did somehow! I got a **** ton of weight to lose and just wanna do it the best way
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    No.

How dare you change your name.

I don't know what you're talking about. I've always had this name.

tumblr_ljs9de0HaR1qclt3z.gif
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Not unless you eat less clean calories than you would have eaten in dirty calories.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Ok I thought it did somehow! I got a **** ton of weight to lose and just wanna do it the best way

As long as you have a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. Organic, clean eating, etc, won't make you lose weight any faster.
  • SunnyLu3
    Options
    At first, maybe... if you are used to a lot of processed foods full of sodium, you'll drop some water weight.

If you're used to not watching what you eat at all and you normally eat a lot of junk, you might lose due to the lifestyle change of healthy eating.

If you already eat pretty healthy it may not make much of a difference.

Personally, I feel better when I eat more real food, less processed things, and a lower-sodium diet in general (but I'm sensitive to sodium and have high blood pressure)... but I don't obsess over everything being "clean" and "all natural".
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nope, overall calorie count is 98% of the battle.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    My diary would make a clean eater cry. And I still manage to lose weight. Calorie deficit is key, OP.
  • MinimizingMichelle
    Options

Portion your food. Learn when you're full. Snack healthy and often. Drink lots of water. All the simple things are what will make you successful. Knock'em dead!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Lose weight faster? No.

Advantages? Depends on what kind of person you are. 'Clean eating' (i guess you mean food you cook yourself, veg fruit meat etc & prob whole grains?) can be simpler, if you have time to cook & are great at planning. Eg a common rule of thumb would be: a fist's worth of meat, two handfuls of veg, 1/2 potato or 1/2 cup of rice or grains. That's easy to remember, and that kind of food gives you a lot of bang for your (calorie) buck, it's pretty filling.

'Clean eating' also can work for some people who have a lot of binge triggers, in that you just don't keep those foods in the house. Willpower isn't so much of a problem (though boredom might be, if you're not into trying things.) Again, if you have a lot of time & control over your cooking/mealtimes, works a treat.

But: ethnic foods & sauces can work with it, but not easily, you have to figure that out (more work) ie just steak/1/2 potato/salad can get boring. Need time for all the prep/planning. Depending on where you live or work, 'clean' restaurant foods might not be easily available. You might be in social situations in which there's just no 'clean' option. (Mind you, you could eat like 70 or 80 or whatever % 'clean'. You probably should, really, because that's what fits macros best anyway.)

If you prefer convenience (or are lazy) & greater variety, and don't have any real issues with bingeing/trigger foods, just counting calories & keeping track of protein, carbs & fat takes you the same place weight wise. & really there's a lot of overlap anyway, once you do that. The trick here is really good portion control.

I ate pretty 'clean' when I lost my weight, maybe 80-90%. I found that period helpful in terms of weight loss, yeah, but probably more in terms of rejigging my attitude & approach to food.

In maintenance, I've been much more relaxed - would say I'm around 60% 'clean', lol.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Faster, no. But it could make it easier to eat mostly whole nutritious food that tend to make you feel full and keep you from going over unless you have great discipline.
    Plus for many they just feel better and have more energy when they eat that way. I look at is as if you can eat "clean" for the most part, then you dont have to worry over and sweat about that piece of pie or ice cream.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    There really isn't any magical food combination that will make you lose weight faster.

However, I find that eating "clean" makes it easier for me to maintain my caloric and macro levels where I want them. Therefore I do lose weight faster due to continuity, not some magical food combination.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I just have to say... your profile pic goes perfectly with your response LOL
  • igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    Not unless you're at a calorie deficit.

It will, however, make your mind and body function better.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    No.

Only if you're like me and struggle to stop eating delicious foods. When I eat clean it's easy to not over-eat but I don't want to diet that way anymore...ever.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It probably won't make you lose weight any faster unless sodium is causing water retention, but it will definitely make you feel better to eat clean, at least most of the time.
  • diemnhi
    Options
    I think the quality of your caloric intake is important. From my understanding, if you eat clean you'll end up cutting out a lot of products that contain additives etc. that are impair access to any vitamins and minerals that you'd consume in your diet.

There's lots of contradictory things out there about chemicals such as MSG and glutamate derived ingredients such as maltodexterin, that suggest an increased drive for food consumption (this is how they make experimental mice for obesity studies obese; google it!). Also things like sugar substitutes like aspartame end up making you over-eat bc your body is looking for calories.

So i think eating clean will help your body properly access the nutrients it needs to function efficiently. You'll hopefully have a stable energy level throughout the day and not feel deprived. Eating clean will also let you eat more for less calories.