question : will eating clean help me to lose weight faster

Options

Replies

• K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Because everyone else is saying no and I just want to be non-conforming.

But the real answer is no.
  • shrinkingWITS
    Options
    I know what you mean by clean eating, and I have to say this.

You lose weight by a eating a calorie deficit no matter what the food is. if you have like 1,800 calories to eat in a day, some clean foods might have less calories and therefore you could eat more of it than some other food choices. Thats the advantage to some clean foods (i.e. fresh spinach vs frozen spinach souffle that you buy in the grocery freezer.)

Clean eating might enable you to feel better, because you would be eating more fruits and veg rather than hotdogs and cookies.

so if you feel better choosing those foods, by all means do so and dont let anyone tell you not to. if eating that way and you see weight loss, it is then shown to be working for you. Some people feel the need to eat cookies and cake on their diet, others feel they want to choose fruit and veg and that is fine too.

Do what YOU want to do, and dont let anyone stop you or make fun of you for wanting to "eat clean". Especdially if it works for you.

Well said.

No, eating "clean" will not help you lose weight faster.
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i lost a lot of water weight at first ( about 7 lbs) cause of all the salt and sugar in process food that make you bloated... (or me at least) also i cut all the process sugar so it helped loosing weight a lot though its because i dont eat sugar anymore or barely and not cause its clean.

also depends on your definition of clean ...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Does eating clean have some advantages over just simple calorie counting?
    In a way, but not the way you're thinking. Eating clean can mean you're eating more filling foods for your calories, so you won't be as hungry and therefore, you eat fewer calories overall.

But otherwise, if you take in 1,000 calories of junk or 1,000 calories of "clean" foods, you're still taking in 1,000 calories.

I say find your balance. Eat what you enjoy, make sure you're getting proper nutrition and enjoy treats every once in a while!
  • PetuniasMum
    PetuniasMum Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Faster, no. But it could make it easier to eat mostly whole nutritious food that tend to make you feel full and keep you from going over unless you have great discipline.
    Plus for many they just feel better and have more energy when they eat that way. I look at is as if you can eat "clean" for the most part, then you dont have to worry over and sweat about that piece of pie or ice cream.

This is what I was going to say. More nutritionally dense food, will keep you full longer, give you more energy, and just make you feel better in general.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Clean eating might enable you to feel better, because you would be eating more fruits and veg rather than hotdogs and cookies.

Oh gosh, this! lol

I got dragged to a steak house last night. I don't eat meat, so I had a very creamy, cheesy soup and breaded, fried onions pluse a brownie sundae and today I feel like a load of dung! My mouth was happy. My tummy is angry. :-)
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

The answer I'm going with is "maybe".

Eating "clean" (which I'll define as eating a diet containing foods with minimal post-processing) can have some advantages over simple calorie counting. For instance, you'll likely eat a higher volume of food per calorie, which can help with your satiety if you are someone who is prone to being hungry at times. You generally won't have a problem getting adequate fiber. Your micronutrients will likewise be pretty easy to get in. I can also see why people might consider it easier to prepare food in bulk. None of these things absolve you from calorie counting, but they all can be benefits of that particular dietary philosophy.

So, yeah. There's those things.

Edit to include: it's also likely going to be much easier to track calories/intake, simply due to the fact that you'll be making a lot of your own food and controlling the entire process.
  • alwayskungfu
    Options

Well do you want to change? if yes then begin to re-educate yourself, faze out processed food, and eat fresh local home cooked food,
    avoid cakes and chocolate and eat fruit nuts seeds etc. Eat the way people did in the 1950s and be generally very active. Aim to be a better stronger version of you, one step, one day at a time, Understand the habits that got you here and set to work on building new healthy eating and exercise habits. Above all 'DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS' this is your journey, learn to love you self, do it your way.

Good luck
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    that's because the banana is clean and the Doritos are unclean

LOL

bwKT6ix.png
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thats the point I was making :)

Weird because I always feel better training if I have a bagel or pop tarts as opposed to a banana.

Really?! Maybe its the carbs? When i say that I mean running is that what you also mean? Im sure it could have different effects on different exercises.
    Nope, I never do cardio. I find it boring and tedious. I weight train.

Well that probably explains it, if I eat 'unclean foods' before a long run I feel awful, but its probably makes you have a better weight session due to the quick energy release of the sugar (same probably applies to sprinting) where as, Id need slow release energy because I tend to run long distances.

Then in relation to your theory. Why do marathon runners eat tons of pasta and rice pre race?
    I know that when I did run I ran longer after eating a bagel.

I dont class wholemeal Pasta and rice as unclean foods?! However i do class poptarts as unclean.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Healthwise: probably, inconclusive (in my opinion).

For losing weight: no.
  • rml_16
    Options

Well do you want to change? if yes then begin to re-educate yourself, faze out processed food, and eat fresh local home cooked food,
    avoid cakes and chocolate and eat fruit nuts seeds etc. Eat the way people did in the 1950s and be generally very active. Aim to be a better stronger version of you, one step, one day at a time, Understand the habits that got you here and set to work on building new healthy eating and exercise habits. Above all 'DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS' this is your journey, learn to love you self, do it your way.

Good luck

Why?
    Why can't I eat cake and chocolate?
    Especially chocolate! Even the milk chocolate. It's full of antioxidants and all sorts of good stuff, plus it releases endorphins when you eat it.

Chocolate is a health food and I'm not even being sarcastic about that.

Obviously, watch the calories since it can be a bit high. But if you eat a really good, rich chocolate, you only need a little. I recommend Green & Black's 85% cocoa dark. And I don't like dark chocolate, but that one is fantastic.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

Good luck

Why?
    Why can't I eat cake and chocolate?

I eat chocolate on a daily basis, cake every now and then, and I have lost a reasonable amount of weight and am the fittest I have ever been.........

Though actually come to think of it, no one else eats cake or chocolate 'cause it is evil (and then I can have it all MWAH HA HA!)

edit for sausage fingers
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is better for your overall health. There is no argument about this, and if you argue, you're just being a douche.

I'll argue it. It's nonsense.

Now call me a douche.