Only Clothes that fit and make me feel beautiful...

So i am gradually building my wardrobe after having been 2 to 3 sizes bigger for most of my adult life. I can tell you for a working woman. In corporate america, this is not easy. Age appropriate yet classic pieces are in scarce supply - oh in my size and in my price range. Did I mention i refuae to buy anything that is not cotton or wool?

So i joined project 333 and try to follow the rules. I have exactly five outfits for work that are "meet new client" worthy, and five business casual outfits (imperative in hot and humid houston).

My five favotite places to shop for work clothes are:

Tj max: Ralph Lauren wool suits,
Haines outlet: socks hosiery
Nordstorms and nordstorms rack: bras and NYDJ pants
NYC: cotton blouses - button downs,, very good fit
Dillards: rRalph Lauren cotton skirts , and a couple of very nice dresses

I have bought a few things at costco, but have found they run out of my size before i can get there, and now i have all of fall/ winterr ready under my new wardrobe rules.

Anyone else keeping the new clothes buying unde control? I find it motivating to maintaining my lifestyle.

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    I get a lot of stuff at Express. I don't have to wear a suit often though.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    I love the fit of Jones Ney York suits...
    The Loft ( Ann Taylor) "Marisa" cut for work pants....

I dont have a dress code for my office so I only wear a suit once a week and dress casual 2 days, jeans the other 2 days...
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    I just spent about $300 at White House Black Market...their stuff is very flattering. It is also stretchy, so I know that it will fit even once I lose a little more weight...A lot of their items don't look great on the hanger, but fabulous on!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    I love Macy's and especially the INC brand when it's on sale.

However, I gotta admit it is time to purge the closets again. Lots of size 14 and 16 ghosts lurking in there, and stuff I just don't like any longer because it's not flattering.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    I've got an even more demanding criterion: not made in China. (And I'm starting to wonder about some of the other places like Bangladesh.) Fortunately, over the years I've had a good tailor make 2 suits and a lot of separates, and I fill in with things from Chico's. My size hasn't fluctuated over the last 30 years by more than a couple of sizes (I'm now at the low end and hope to stay there), so if I buy good things I just keep wearing them till they fall apart. As a result, I have a full closet but don't buy very much new in a given year.
  • I love the boutique section at SteinMart - has a lot of great pieces that are work ready. You can get suits, but I like to buy the blazer separates and pair them with mix & match blouses and bottoms - I can create business suits, casual business wear, and even pair with jeans for casual Friday. I get almost everything I wear there. Prices are comparable to Dillards. GREAT clearance section and if you get their rewards (not credit card, just their loyalty program), they'll email you coupons worth up to 40% off clearance. I can't tell you how often I've bought close to $2K of clothing for well under $200, Unfortunately, SteinMart isn't everywhere but if you have one close - check it out!
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    If you have a Younkers near you, I always have a lot of luck finding work clothes. I also like Express a lot but with coupons and I hit up their sales (I'm cheap). I like TJ Maxx for some stuff, but not much.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    I love The Loft and Ann Taylor, and New York and Co. For The Loft and AT I pretty much only shop at the outlets and can get some amazing deals!!!!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I completely agree with your rules!

I slimmed down my wardrobe the other day and threw out anything I didn't love wearing and/or didn't fit. I never throw clothes out, so that was a lot of stuff.

I buy most clothes at either Goodwill (look for those good fabrics and tags!) or staples and sweaters at LLBeans.

Most importantly, though, I bought a good sewing machine last spring. I took in all my favorite pants and learned to re-tailor blouses.

Also - did anybody find that 'fit' went in phases? When I had lost 20 pounds, it looked like all my pants hung on me - even loose construction artsy ones. When I lost 28, all of a sudden they fit again and looked good because they sat completely differently on my hips. And they looked great - especially with a little tweaking.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    I like Kohls, JCPenny and Shoe Carnival (-shoes always fit lol)

I need to go shopping, my pants are getting baggy! Yay
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Macy's has a lot of good options, and their clothes are usually on sale.
  • tinavflynn
    tinavflynn Posts: 80 Member
    I love Dressbarn!! Granted it helps that I work there on the weekends, but seriously they have a great selection! They have everything from casual, dresses (obviously), to work wear. Some of their stuff can bee a little pricey, but their pants are usually very reasonable, about $29.50 to $34.50. They also always have 30% to 70% off racks that are great for finding separates.
  • JennyThompson180
    JennyThompson180 Posts: 17 Member
    Thank you for the list of sources for professional clothing! Very useful and timely for me. I have been scouring online, I will stop in TJ Maxx soon.
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    I only buy mostly sale. So I keep an eye on the basics that I need and when they go on sale, II see what is available. I have picked up some good deals for work. I am altering some things that I have bought last spring.. I am down from a size 16 regular to an 8 petite in pants. Also I found that I could get some of my belts shortened at a shoe repair place. One of my big expense has been shoes because I lost half a shoe size. I have a difficult time finding wide widths. I inherited my grandmother's bunions and don't want another foot surgery. Also my athletic shoes need to be replaced. I also had to buy exercise clothes have become way too big.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    I only buy mostly sale. So I keep an eye on the basics that I need and when they go on sale, II see what is available. I have picked up some good deals for work. I am altering some things that I have bought last spring.. I am down from a size 16 regular to an 8 petite in pants. Also I found that I could get some of my belts shortened at a shoe repair place. One of my big expense has been shoes because I lost half a shoe size. I have a difficult time finding wide widths. I inherited my grandmother's bunions and don't want another foot surgery. Also my athletic shoes need to be replaced. I also had to buy exercise clothes have become way too big.

I lost 1/2 a shoe size as well!!! crazy!!
  • pkw58
    Wow, lots of great ideas! I am seriously considering buying a sewing machine.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,434 Member
    I'm a college professor and am having the same issues. I can't wear jeans, tee shirts and workout gear to class! Suit jackets and good slacks are pricey, so I have begun to LIVE at Khols. They run incredible sales here and because i gave them my email address, I get 20% off cards all the time. They take the 20% off the sale price, bless them! I just bought 2 fitted jackets, 4 pair of slacks, 3 blouses and a shell and 3 cardigans for less than $250.00 and by mixing and matching, they should take me through the winter (with the sweaters I already have) and next Spring. I am hoping that the last 20 pounds I have to lose will only take me down 1 or 2 sizes so I can "make do" until next summer, since the odds that I am going to get a raise to buy new clothes is not too good! :noway: I should have done this when I was a stay at home MOM! :wink:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I'm a college professor and am having the same issues. I can't wear jeans, tee shirts and workout gear to class!

I'm also a professor. With some one color fitted tee shirts or shells and Oxford shirts (Marikmakos are $12 at Targets, Oxfords you can get lovely at Goodwill if you go regularly) you can look very stylish with two or three pairs of great slacks and a lot of scarves, necklaces, and pins. They can completely change a look. Add two sweaters and a jacket into the mix and you've got the semester covered.

Scarves and jewelry always fit. Although I have noticed with the weight loss that my little dangly earrings look great again and my big studded ones look too large!
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,434 Member
    My daughter-in law actually bought me some scarfs to change the look of my shirts that I bought. Since I was heavy for so long, i had an extensive wardrobe and never really learned these "extend the look" tricks! She is trying to teach me! We have a Target here so i will check out the Marikmakos as $12.00 is definitely a good price. I have some solid fitted tees from summer that could work that I never considered. Thank you for making that suggestion. If I can get through fall and spring semesters, summer should be a piece of cake because I can buy clothes in my new permanent size and not worry about them being to big in a few months! :smile:
  • pkw58
    I'm a college professor and am having the same issues. I can't wear jeans, tee shirts and workout gear to class!

I'm also a professor. With some one color fitted tee shirts or shells and Oxford shirts (Marikmakos are $12 at Targets, Oxfords you can get lovely at Goodwill if you go regularly) you can look very stylish with two or three pairs of great slacks and a lot of scarves, necklaces, and pins. They can completely change a look. Add two sweaters and a jacket into the mix and you've got the semester covered.

Scarves and jewelry always fit. Although I have noticed with the weight loss that my little dangly earrings look great again and my big studded ones look too large!

Awesome! I have found that black jeans with a long blazer or nice sweater work for business...

I have to say - scarves save my life as far as mixing it up. My daughter in law gave me my favorite one to wear - she got it at Charming Charlie's....