Only Clothes that fit and make me feel beautiful...

Options

Replies

• tntgal2
    Options
    I have loved buying new clothes I feel good in! Loft and Ann Taylor have become favorites. The AT modern fit pants work well for me and have colors that work for my professional office. Uniqlo has well-made and well-priced cardigans. JCP always has stuff on sale these days. I just discovered Banana Republic, where I hadn't shopped for years. Got some tops that were unique but not outlandish (for someone over 50), and the quality is good.

You'll need to do a lot more shopping and research if you want to purchase "ethical" clothing. The location isn't a guarantee - LA has a huge garment district, often (mostly) employing undocumented workers, and many (most) working at piece rate prices in poor conditions. Google "fair trade" or ethical clothing for suggestions, but be aware that the "price" of low priced clothing (those $19 great deals) is generally fabric manufactured in a third world country (Bangladesh, Thailand, Vietnam, India, Sri Lanka) and sewn in one.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying rebuild my wardrobe and only buy clothes that really look good and are quality pieces that will last. I've gotten rid of a lot of my clothes partly because of the weight loss and partly because I recently realized I was a grownass woman and needed to dress like it. I'm an architect so my wardrobe needs to work from dirty construction sites to professional clients meetings. I've slowly been building it up from Loft, JCrew, local shops, internet stores like ideeli, Ross/TJ Maxx type places, and I really agree with the suggestion to shop Goodwill/thrift shops. You'll see the high quality clothes because they've held up so well from their previous owner. And if something is well made, even if it doesn't fit you quite right you can get it tailored and its still a great deal. Knowing how to sew is great for smaller alterations.
  • zailynprada
    Options
    Oh how fun! The idea of new clothes is starting to overwhelm me! I am a pretty good master of professional dress, and had been holding steady, following a similar rule, 3 new clients suits, and 5 average weekday ones that mix match. I am now wondering how to look young/hip or at least energetic! Which I am, but at 50 with the extra weight, I don't think I looked as competitive and confident. But now, I am going to look for a Sales/Marketing job in the Houston area and want to look fantastic, and you've brought up a good point (humidity). I live in the desert area of Southern California and most of the time we get dry breezy conditions (which makes any suit a good choice)...I am heading out today to celebrate with a new pair of size 8 jeans! Yay! Anyhow, I would love to know more about the fabrics you recommend for that weather, and any tips you might have on the Houston job market. Thanks!
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge clothes horse... two full wall closets full - though I'm weaning a lot of it out and donating it to a women's shelter. When I was really thin, I had to buy everything brand new because it was impossible to find size 2/4 in thrift stores. But since I've gotten back to the size 6/8 range, I shop almost exclusively at thrift stores. It's still not very easy, especially because all of my slacks have to be longs - but I have found some amazing professional clothes. I have a couple of short cut wool suits that are really wonderful for winter. I have to be really picky, but most of my most favorite pieces came from either Goodwill or Savers. I have a pair of Brooks Brothers cashmere slacks that I got for $3, and they've never been worn. Find the thrift or consignment stores in the upscale part of town, and you'll be shocked what you can find. :d
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Consider silk. It's light and drapes beautifully. Also, if you've only lost 2 or 3 sizes, and there's a piece you love, you might be able to have it altered to fit your new size.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Consider silk. It's light and drapes beautifully. Also, if you've only lost 2 or 3 sizes, and there's a piece you love, you might be able to have it altered to fit your new size.

I really love silk or tencel shells in solid colors. You can buy a few of them and they will mix with and dress up anything else. (The black jeans idea above is terrific to go with them!)

Years ago, my sister recommended buying one new piece a month (scarf, blouse, pants, whatever). That means that you're not spending a lot of money at one time and also that all your clothes aren't in the same style. You don't want to buy a bunch of clothes at once that can all be dated Fall 2013 five years from now.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I go with Gap and Banana Republic for my work stuff. It’s good for casual wear as well if you “dress it down” so it’s perfect for me. Plus I just really like how Gap tends to carry various sizes and clothing that fits all shapes. :]
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Did I mention i refuae to buy anything that is not cotton or wool?

Yeah, I'm like you, this is why I hardly have anything. Almost nothing made of these materials can be found at a reasonable price. Even at $100 + for a top at your middle-end mall stores (in Canada anyway), you're getting modal and rayon.

Silk is great, tencel is GREAT.

I actually have bought some fabric and 'easy' (ha!) sewing patterns to get around mall clothes, most of which are hideous. (I mean I don't know how to sew properly yet.)

But I would say, if you're rebuilding a wardrobe & want to make your life easy, maybe think about relaxing your standards. Some of the blends are easier to wash anyway.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options

I have a silk suit is size 14 that is the only clothes I didn't donate. I am taking it into the tailor next week to make it fit me now. It is an austin reed I bought incredibly cheap on sale.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    EBAY CHICKIEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You would not believe how much gets dumped on there, and is easy for me to go a piece here and there to supplement. Even got my goal weight outfit on EBAY!! Where I get discouraged I go into the closet and pet it and then I go back to my workouts. LOVE ME SOME EBAY--althought TJ MAXX is a great place to pick up the extras as well.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    if you're able to find a good thrift store, it can be incredible.

I went to Jamaica for two weeks this summer and needed professional but obviously light weight clothes. I was able to purchase the majority of my professional/Jamaican wardrobe at the thriftstore which included skirts, blouses, linen pants, and a dress. I spent more on my swimsuit than I did on all of the stuff from the thrift store.

Some thrift stores suck, so it really just depends on what is available in your area. I frequently find Hanna andersson and Gymboree items for my daughter there.
    The *only* thing about thrifting is you have to have the time to go through the items. You have to look at each piece in your size and inspect carefully.
  • marylisasullivan
    Options
    Land's End ( available in store at Sear's or online). Good quality and flattering classic pieces. Sierra trading website has good traditional clothes as well with great pricing!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I just spent about $300 at White House Black Market...their stuff is very flattering. It is also stretchy, so I know that it will fit even once I lose a little more weight...A lot of their items don't look great on the hanger, but fabulous on!

I agree with all of this. My cousin turned me on to WHBM last year and they're fantastic.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm like you, this is why I hardly have anything. Almost nothing made of these materials can be found at a reasonable price. Even at $100 + for a top at your middle-end mall stores (in Canada anyway), you're getting modal and rayon.

I actually have bought some fabric and 'easy' (ha!) sewing patterns to get around mall clothes, most of which are hideous. (I mean I don't know how to sew properly yet.)

But I would say, if you're rebuilding a wardrobe & want to make your life easy, maybe think about relaxing your standards. Some of the blends are easier to wash anyway.

LL Bean has 100% cotton and wool if you read the labels (not everything but definitely some). If you get an LL Bean credit card, you get $10 coupons for your purchases. Last month I bought $104 worth of stuff, paid $5, got free shipping and a $10 gift card.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

LL Bean has 100% cotton and wool if you read the labels (not everything but definitely some). If you get an LL Bean credit card, you get $10 coupons for your purchases. Last month I bought $104 worth of stuff, paid $5, got free shipping and a $10 gift card.

Great, thanks for the tip!
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i feel the thrift store is awesome when you can find clothes that fit (when you're in between sizes, its nice).
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Lots of cute shirts and dresses from Modcloth.com, blazers from Nordstrom, hair bows & v-necks you can dress up from American Apparel...

I work part time at home/go to school online/do the whole housewife thing, though, so I shamelessly wear skinny leg yoga pants with wedge heels and 2/3 sleeve shirts basically every day of my life.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the last two pair of jeans I bought (size 13 and 11) was almost 7 months ago. One of our cousins (she is related to me by marriage) brought a bag of clothes over that she couldn't wear anymore and most of them fit (they are mediums).

I don't have any work clothes per say (I am basically allowed to wear anything that makes me look professional without looking like I'm uncomfortable), and I have no problem wearing some of my bigger clothes simply because I can now wear layers underneath them and not feel like crap about it (I can now stuff 3 or 4 layers on underneath an XL sweatshirt instead of just it or 2 :laugh: ) I also don't feel that I am ready to show off in new clothes yet either.

I have yet to go on a shopping spree to go buy new clothes because I want to make sure I am done losing weight and managing to stay there before spending money to get new clothes (I proudly wear my race t-shirts) and I also want to make sure I have enough money to do it.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Limited is my go-to for work pants and suits, when I need dress-clothes. I otherwise wear scrubs at work.

For shirts I go to NYC (and they've been pretty dry lately, to be honest) and home-in-the-wall places; the latter is to find things that might stand out a bit more, like added flare. Admittedly shirts are some of the hardest things for me to land these days, because I cannot STAND most of the styles.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I typically buy the brand Tahari for work clothes, since they tend to fit my shape very well and are classically professional looking. I had a ton of their suits and work dresses that I paid a pretty penny for. I finally bit the bullet and had the suits taken in and with all the work that needed to be done, it cost around 230 bucks for 4 suits.

I've gone back and bought a new Tahari suit and a couple dresses and skirts --- from a warehouse sale, TjMaxx, and a secondhand store so they didn't cost me an arm and leg.

I also just bought a brand new ann taylor suit at goodwill for 10 dollars or so.