Only Clothes that fit and make me feel beautiful...

Replies

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Thanks for all the great tips. I am returning to work on Sept 24 and had an "EEK" moment when I got hired. My wardrobe consists of capris and t-shirts and I need mature adult clothes. I'm going to be a greeter in an art gallery so I can also go a little wild, but this is a temp job and I hope I can step up to another more permanent job so I don't want to buy really wild outfits, I want to stay in the sensible range. So all your advice is great. I'll start out at Goodwill. I'm lucky enough to have a Younkers and TJMaxx in town too.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    I do pretty well at Ross. I can usually find the same stuff I like at Macy's (My favorite store) there and at a more reasonable price. They always seem to have a nice selection of suits, dresses, shoes, and even workout gear. I visit the store so much I know what days they get the new stuff so I can get first dibs. You have to buy it when you see it because trust me when you go back, it will be gone.

It's time to start fresh as well for me because a lot of stuff is hanging off and people notice. Besides that it is uncomfortable to always be readjusting pants and skirts. I'm thinking to splurge a little next month for my birthday on new slacks, skirts, and blouses.

I was complaining last month that I lost my butt, but in reality the pants I was wearing were too big, size 10. When I put on a size 6, I could see my butt again. So I totally get how the better clothes fit the better you feel.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    I began going to the thrift shops about 20 lbs ago when I had gotten rid of almost everything in my closet. Now I revisit them every five lbs or so because by then, everything is baggy again. I had been just buying things that fit at TJMaxx or Ross but then I'd get too small for them so quickly that it made sense to resort to thrift shop buying. A high-end Goodwill store, called Blue, opened in our town some months ago, so that is one that I visit regularly. There is an amazing array of brands. Today I bought two pairs of jeans that fit me (once again the ones I bought two months ago are baggy) and paid a total of $15.20. I am now retired, so don't have the problem of buying suits. About the only things I am buying new nowadays is work-out wear for the gym, and I'm finding cheap serviceable Danskin stuff at WalMart. I found a nice pair of denim dress pants on the clearance rack ($7 marked down from $67)at a Bass outlet store a couple of weeks ago; they were a bit big but I thought they might shrink. Of course they didn't. I'd actually consider having them tailored. For those of you who have things tailored, how much might I expect to pay?
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Wow, lots of great ideas! I am seriously considering buying a sewing machine.

My sewing machine has been invaluable over the past few months, especially for taking in my jeans.
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    I just spent about $300 at White House Black Market...their stuff is very flattering. It is also stretchy, so I know that it will fit even once I lose a little more weight...A lot of their items don't look great on the hanger, but fabulous on!

I agree with all of this. My cousin turned me on to WHBM last year and they're fantastic.

WHBM is my new favorite store. The top in my profile picture is from there.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Wow, lots of great ideas! I am seriously considering buying a sewing machine.

My sewing machine has been invaluable over the past few months, especially for taking in my jeans.

Seriously considering buying a sewing machine...I havent used one since high school...
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    I only wear Theory pants. Bought a pair at Loehmanns a few years back and slowly transitioned my entire wardrobe. But they're really pricey- $235 for a pair. I've seen them for as little as $79 at Loehmanns, but I second the eBay idea. Go to a place that carries them (Nordstrom, Saks, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's all carry Theory) and find your fit. Max C is a straighter fit with pockets that don't bulge out; Emery has a little more give through the hip and thighs. Also be sure of the fabric. "Tailor" is my favorite. Then set up a saved search on eBay with your style, the fabric, and the size. For some reason some of the fabrics have different cuts (no idea why.) For example, with the "crunch" fabric (linen blend) you have to size down one. Anyway, Tailor is your best bet for fabric because Theory carries it season after season. It is a lightweight 96% wool/4% lycra. Other stores have tried to copy the Max C cut (Banana Republic comes to mind) but they somehow never get it exactly right.
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    I try to steer clear of anything that has to be dry cleaned. However, some things are too cute to pass up :tongue:. I try really hard to only buy things on sale. Not like $5 off, but a really good deal. I constantly had my eyes peeled for great deals and tried to stick with very basic pieces for work that were easy to mix and match. Some of my favorite places to shop for work clothes are: Ann Taylor, Nordstrom, Macy's, Banana Republic, Gap, White House Black Market, Express, Chico's, BCBG outlet, Saks Fifth Avenue, Esprit outlet. I like to browse the sale racks in little boutiques as well. I learned not to buy too much clothes at once because I may lose weight and the clothes may look baggy and sloppy if I do. And after I lost some weight earlier this year, my shoe size shrank 1/2 a size to 1 size. Had to buy new footwear. I was not expecting that!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    I visited all the TJMAX and Marshall's in a 10 miles radius around me since different locations have different level of clothes, Nordstrom Rack, sales rack in Saks Fifth Avenue/Nordstrom/Lord & Taylor/Bloomingdales, Ann Taylor for something inexpensive and reliable in a hurry, Nordstrom Rack for shoes and accessories, NR and L&T for bras, locations of TJMAX with upscale designer boutiques and Bloomingdale's outlet for handbags, consignment stores in very expensive neighborhoods (you'll be amazed what you get find there).
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I found a leather coat at Goodwill for $30. It's a size 6, a little big, but will do ok for over sweaters this winter. I got some ****ies work pants from Walmart online $18, junior's size 3. I had some luck at the Old Navy Outlet and Banana Republic Outlet. Great clearance prices and they had size 0. I am allowed to dress very casual, even jeans are ok. I have ON flirt(2) and Rockstar (4), but they are both getting too big now. I just have to suck it up and wear a belt, because I'm not "allowed" to buy any smaller clothes now. HB says I need to gain. I could use another pair of jeans, though. My shirts are mostly ON and Target Ts and knit tops. I did get a nice button up rayon top from JCPenney on sale.
  • I love clothes! But i never find anyhing good. I can go to every store in town and find some jeans that are sort of okay. I live not far from Houston and i heard there is a new outlet mall! maybe you can try there? I am trying to get the time off to go myself.. but then the whole money thing comes up. You can always try online and maybe they have free returns if you don't like it?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I love certain types of vintage clothes, and classic shapes, like fitted shirt dresses and that Diane von Furstenburg jersey knit wrap style that has been going strong since the 70s. I have a pencil skirt in just about every color I'd ever want to wear. I'm a little short on blouses. I try not to buy many prints, only solid colors, and occasional stripes, polka dots, and rare plaids.

Does anyone wear scarves? I wear them instead of jewelry.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    I dress very conservative to work, we have a pretty strut dress code, no jeans, no short skirts, no short sleeves. Strict business.

So I'm usually in pencil skirts + silk blouse, shoes with conservative heels. Sometimes with a jacket. Sometimes a dress.

I shop at Zara, they have good cotton and silk. Sometimes they have good sweaters made of wool or a combination of cashmere and silk. Great silk or cotton blouses, I wear them to work with skirts or on weekends with jeans.

Banana Republic is also good for office clothes but not as fashionable as Zara.

J. Crew and Ann Taylor is also good for office clothes, nice quality.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    I love certain types of vintage clothes, and classic shapes, like fitted shirt dresses and that Diane von Furstenburg jersey knit wrap style that has been going strong since the 70s. I have a pencil skirt in just about every color I'd ever want to wear. I'm a little short on blouses. I try not to buy many prints, only solid colors, and occasional stripes, polka dots, and rare plaids.

Does anyone wear scarves? I wear them instead of jewelry.

I love scarves! , I just wear scarves winter and summer, silk and cashmere, all year long!

Wish I could've DVF dresses to work but boss would probably fire me if I come to a meeting wearing a wrap dress, my boobs would be too much of a distraction lol! But I wear them for dinners and etc.
  • rypstorm
    rypstorm Posts: 63 Member
    I love clothes! I work at a hospital, and need to dress conservatively, but I like to push the envelope. I have a tall frame, and I have found trousers from banana republic or ann taylor work well for me. I usually order online for the tall sizes. As far as jackets/suits, I like jcrew because of the detailing. I'm also picky about my fabrics: i.e. NO synthetics, unless the cut of the garment makes me look amazing and I just HAVE to have it cuz is makes me feel like a million bucks even though there is polyester in it. I play a lot with pattern, texture, metallics, and colors, and sometimes I find inspiration in my outfits in my circumstances. During the football playoffs I incorporated purple into my outfits for a week...go Ravens! I'm not even a huge football fan, but it keeps things interesting for me. Sometimes I like to breaks common "rules" like never mix navy with black, etc, and try to put together an outfit to prove that rule wrong. I like scarves and necklaces (prefer hand made artsy-fartsy pieces rather than the fine jewelry types). I don't do bracelets bangles or rings cuz they get in my way (or snag my sweaters).

Just recently I completely edited my closet down to only things that I love, are essential basics, AND fit me. The rest I either threw out or donated to goodwill. Only 5 pieces that were too big for me made it to the "to be tailored down"pile. New when I go into my closet, it is like a breath of fresh air because everything in there fits, it's not overcrowded, and I know what I have so I won't go buying stuff that I already have. For example, after cleaning out my closet,I discovered that I have about 5 pinstriped trousers in various shades of gray (not 50) and navy. After seeing this I decided that I didn't really need to spend money tailoring down another gray pinstripe trouser.

So i guess one of the first steps of saving money is knowing what is in my closet so i don't buy the same thing twice. I can also see what gaps I have and fill in as needed (wait for good deals). Weight loss has been a mixed blessing because the down side is that I an at a conundrum as to what to do with the pieces that are now too big. But ultimately I decided that I shouldn't get too attached to an animate object, and there are plenty of garments out there that can make me look and feel fabulous.

I recently discovered a fun app called STYLEBOOK (disclaimer: I don't own any stock in it, have no financial interest in it, and don't know anybody who is involved with this app - I just think its a cool app) which catalogs all your clothes and accessories, allows you to create outfits, and will keep track of how many times you have worn a particular garment. Anything I haven't worn in a year is removed from my closet. It also has style advice, and even advice of how to organize your closet, if you are into this sort of thing.

Well there is my two cents.
  • rypstorm
    rypstorm Posts: 63 Member
    For clothes with a deep V, just wear a camisole or colored/patterned tank top underneath to cover up the girls.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    For clothes with a deep V, just wear a camisole or colored/patterned tank top underneath to cover up the girls.

Plunging necklines are annoying when they ruin otherwise perfectly wearable clothes. A camisole style bralette works too, or I pin a scarf in place. Being petite on top, I probably get away with some form fitting tops that curvier women would not.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    And again, I've learned to tailor too big tops by fitting the sides, changing the shoulders, or adding vertical darts/seams. Surprisingly, when they fit better they are less revealing because they don't flop open when you lean forward and you can't peek in the armholes.

I have kept all my old pants despite changing 6+ sizes by taking in the seats and slimming the legs.

My triumph was last week. My family is going to a Steampunk wedding. I got a $15 tux from Goodwill and lengthened the arms and legs 4" for my gangly son (who looks spectacular). I got a fantastic dove gray satin beaded gown with a mermaid skirt and train that had a see through net back and a net opening at the belly. $23. Last night I made it into an amazing mermaid skirt with a matching handbag (yes, a built in bra folded in half makes a lovely purse shape :)). Add a blouse and I am set. And I would NOT have fit in this ensemble if I weighed even 5 pounds more, so I am a happy camper.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    And again, I've learned to tailor too big tops by fitting the sides, changing the shoulders, or adding vertical darts/seams. Surprisingly, when they fit better they are less revealing because they don't flop open when you lean forward and you can't peek in the armholes.

I have kept all my old pants despite changing 6+ sizes by taking in the seats and slimming the legs.

My triumph was last week. My family is going to a Steampunk wedding. I got a $15 tux from Goodwill and lengthened the arms and legs 4" for my gangly son (who looks spectacular). I got a fantastic dove gray satin beaded gown with a mermaid skirt and train that had a see through net back and a net opening at the belly. $23. Last night I made it into an amazing mermaid skirt with a matching handbag (yes, a built in bra folded in half makes a lovely purse shape :)). Add a blouse and I am set. And I would NOT have fit in this ensemble if I weighed even 5 pounds more, so I am a happy camper.

These steampunk outfits sound fabulous. Wish you'd post pictures. Wish EVERYONE would post pix!
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    I've got an even more demanding criterion: not made in China. (And I'm starting to wonder about some of the other places like Bangladesh.) Fortunately, over the years I've had a good tailor make 2 suits and a lot of separates, and I fill in with things from Chico's. My size hasn't fluctuated over the last 30 years by more than a couple of sizes (I'm now at the low end and hope to stay there), so if I buy good things I just keep wearing them till they fall apart. As a result, I have a full closet but don't buy very much new in a given year.

As some one who lives in China and has traveled in South East Asia, China is perhaps one of the things NOT to worry about. Many manufacturers are moving out of China now to cheaper places. If I were you, I'd worry about anything Made in a south east Asian country.

Anyway just a bit of an aside. I've been bolstering my wardrobe with Uniqlo. I'm a teacher so my needs and dress expectations are a bit different than if I worked in a more business-y work place.