unlimited veggies

Options
i know the term 'unlimited' is a bit loose, but do people eat veggies and not bother to log them?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No I log everything...even veggies have calories...

Corn on the cob for example...has 58calories...2 of those is 116...

most don't have much but a calorie is a calorie and if you eat over your limit you are still over your limit...
  • mithaearon
    mithaearon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No. They contain calories and you need to make sure you don't go over a certain calory limit to lose weight. You will be suprised sometimes just how many calories certain veggies contain, and thus how easy it would be to go over your calory limit (same with fruit) if you have this "free/unlimited" mentality.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

most don't have much but a calorie is a calorie and if you eat over your limit you are still over your limit...

I think corn is more a startch than a veggie.....right?
  • daytonafitmom
    daytonafitmom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    No, I log everything too. Just makes it easier to keep track and to see:)

Good luck:)
  • MityMax96
    Options
    i know the term 'unlimited' is a bit loose, but do people eat veggies and not bother to log them?

I log mine.....
    But the thing to keep in mind is that with veggies (like broccoli).....most, if not all of their carbs cancel out, because they are made up of fiber.

So you can basically eat veggies non-stop and not gain weight.....more likely the opposite because the amount of calories you burn digesting them is gonna be more than what they put in you.
    And I am speaking of broccoli, asparagus, spinach, kale, etc.....
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I used to not log them, but now I do. Now I see more progress, too.
  • pearlyyy92
    Options
    I was meant to say the non starch ones :p i log corn on the cob and stuff like that.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The only time I skip logging veggies is when they are more of a condiment and I've already overestimated logging some other veggie. It's not just the calories that add up, but your macros as well. And different veggies offer different vitamins. Another aspect of veggies that is important is how they are prepared. The caloric content of a raw vegetable or fruit is substantially different then one that is fried or sauteed in oils.

One technique I've found for quickly adding condiment style veggies is to use Subway parts, e.g. search for "Subway cucumber" or "Subway tomato" and you'll get 3 slices. Obviously only good for veggies Subway offers though but figured I'd throw that out there.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If it passes your lips it goes in the log. Veggies aren't free calories and depending on what your budget is they can add up. Even an extra 100 calories every day will throw your weight off.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    If it passes your lips it goes in the log. Veggies aren't free calories and depending on what your budget is they can add up. Even an extra 100 calories every day will throw your weight off.

Actually if it is green veggies (broccoli, kale, spinach, asparagus)......and not drowned in dressing.....just steamed and seasoned with salt/pepper
    Then I say do it....pound them down and go 500 calories over your daily target
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Actually if it is green veggies (broccoli, kale, spinach, asparagus)......and not drowned in dressing.....just steamed and seasoned with salt/pepper

Broscience at it's finest.
  • MityMax96
    Options

Broscience at it's finest.

Yep, that is me.

Give it a try.

Tell me why you think it will be bad on your daily caloric intake?
    Or how it will make or keep you fat?
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options

Good example, but you must be eating a very small ear of corn. Most have closer to 100 Cal.
    You are right, Veggies have calories, carbs and a lot of other things that add up. They also have a lot of Vitamins & Minerals, the good stuff. but you still need to add those calories in. If I didn't add in my vegies & ( fruit), I would only show 1/3 of the calories I eat.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Here is some BroScience for you::

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/can-vegetables-make-fat-4598.html

So again, to the OP.....
    It would be extremely hard to go 500 calories over your daily needs in veggies (the ones I listed)
    But if you did, it would be far more beneficial, than detrimental to your weight.

Veggies are typically high in fiber....so that cancels out equal amts of carbs.
    They typically burn more calories to digest, then you get from ingesting them.

But by all means...ignore me if you wish....will not hurt my feelings.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Log everything - vegies, fruit, etc. Some things are much lower in calories and you can eat a lot more of them and still stay within your target. Some things like potatoes, corn, peas - which are vegetables even if they are starchy vegetables - but higher calorie - you might need to be more careful.

When calories counting there is no "free" foods - that might be a Weight Watchers "thing"? Be accurate, log, also log any dressings / butter / sauces etc that you might add - that can really chew up the calories allowance!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Calories in < Calories out.... Log everything including condiments and vegetables.
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I log them. I like keeping an eye on my nutrients and fiber, even if the calories aren't really enough to make a difference either way.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I log everything and weigh to boot.
  • amie709
    Options
    I log, weight and measure everything. And I do that for a couple of reasons: 1. if I plateau then I can look back with an accurate record of what I was eating when I was losing to see if anything is different now. 2. I count everything into my macros and 3. I like to try to keep a healthy balance between fruit and veggies and meat and milk so I like to check that sometimes and make sure I'm getting all of those
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    If you're already logging food just go ahead and log the veggies too. It will help you learn more about what you eat if nothing else. Avoiding the "free food" mentalities also helps avoid derp moments like this-- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1047916-omg-watermelon-calories?hl=watermellon