Ladies - How many calories do you eat??

Options

Replies

• smithed812
    Options
    I aim for 2300 per day. To lose. Don't eat back exercise cals 'cause I do TDEE-500 to lose 1lb a week :) It's what works for me!
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    1,510 net. I'm 5'7" and have MFP set to lose 1 lb per week.
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Typically between 1800 and 2000 per day. I run four miles on an elliptical trainer six days a week and do Zumba on Saturday as well. I rest on Sunday. I'm losing slowly but that is ok for me. I've been at it since May 2012. I'm 5'8 and almost 48 years old.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I just joined a few weeks ago and per the MFP instruction I am on 1200 calories. I try to be right under it most days. I am 45 and 5 foot 4. I'm curious as to why others who are shorter than me have more calories. Am I doing something wrong whe I calculated how much I wanted to lose. I have about 15lbs to go to goal.

When I joined MFP, I followed the goals that it set out for me, and had great success. But then it kept cutting me down. I didn't like that so I started looking into other methods, and focusing more on fitness rather than scale loss.

Oh! And being 5'4 with 15lbs to go, change your weight loss goal to 0.5 to 1 pound a week. With a small amount to goal, it will take longer to lose. Slower is more sustainable!
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    1400-ish. That's an average. Some days more, some days less, depending on all kinds of factors.
  • StaceyWalley
    StaceyWalley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    [deleted]
  • tiffany5839
    tiffany5839 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    1500-1600 if I don't exercise that day and approx. 1800-2000 if I do.

If you're breast feeding,1800 seems low especially if you're exercising also. You could probably go closer to 2000-2200 and lose a lot still and have a good milk supply.
  • WestCoastWild
    WestCoastWild Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    1300ish, I don't eat back exercise calories unless it's something particularly hardcore :) Mostly I go on short runs, do bikram yoga, and go hiking. Im in grad school, so most of my day is spent sitting around reading/writing :P When Im more active, I can up that to at least 2,000 and still lose weight.
  • Goalsat47
    Goalsat47 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just joined a few weeks ago and per the MFP instruction I am on 1200 calories. I try to be right under it most days. I am 45 and 5 foot 4. I'm curious as to why others who are shorter than me have more calories. Am I doing something wrong whe I calculated how much I wanted to lose. I have about 15lbs to go to goal.

When I joined MFP, I followed the goals that it set out for me, and had great success. But then it kept cutting me down. I didn't like that so I started looking into other methods, and focusing more on fitness rather than scale loss.

Oh! And being 5'4 with 15lbs to go, change your weight loss goal to 0.5 to 1 pound a week. With a small amount to goal, it will take longer to lose. Slower is more sustainable!

Thank you.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    ok...so I'm VERY NEW to dieting and I'm apparently clueless to what I'm suppose to be doing but how can you eat so many calories and still lose weight? I thought you ate less calories=weight loss? I workout out guaranteed for 30 minutes of the 30DS and i try to jog/run/walk at least 2x/week. My calorie goal is 1100. Is that right?

It's not always less calories = more weight lost. Adaptive thermogenesis will slow your metabolism if you eat too few calories. And even if it doesn't, you can burn out and end up binging. So it's better to eat at a moderate deficit and exercise than to cut calories too low and feel hungry and tired all the time.

Many of the women who are eating 1800 and 2000 calories or more are either very active, or have a good amount of muscle, or both. Those increase your metabolism. They also recognize that this isn't a race - there's no prize for getting there faster. Patience is the name of the game; if you lose 1/2-1 pound a week on a calorie level that you can feel satisfied on, you can stick with it. And when you reach your goal, you can add a few more hundred calories to be at maintenance and not gain a lot of weight back.

I'm 5'0" and 130 lbs, and I eat between 1600 and 1800 calories most days. I do heavy lifting 4 days a week, run 1 day, and do light cardio or rest the other 2. (edited to add): Last measured, I was at 26.5% body fat; I'm only interested in losing 5 or 10 pounds total, but I would be perfectly happy to stay at this weight and 22% body fat or so.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    work out days about 800 (nets in the negatives)

non-work out days about 700 but no less than 600 (nets about 200-330)

I know it seems low but I am a fairly large girl (180 right now) so the restricted calories is not so bad, plus I am used to my protien shake and 1 meal a day plan.

Wait, what?!

One meal and a protein shake a day?
    180lbs isn't a good excuse to under nourish yourself!!

What's going to happen when you try to maintain the weight? You'll be wondering why you're gaining at 1200 calories.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to be rude, but to those of you who posted that you're 5'1" or shorter, but eating 1450 calories or more on rest days: how much do you weigh? I'm 5'1" and my no exercise maintenance is 1320! BUT, I'm 99 pounds. Height can't be the only factor here. Just curious, again, not trying to be rude.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    5'0", 114 lbs, and I have my goal set at 2000 a day without eating back exercise calories because I already factored my workouts into that goal. I alternate ChaLean Extreme and Brazil Butt Lift during the week and run on the weekends.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I know it seems low but I am a fairly large girl (180 right now) so the restricted calories is not so bad, plus I am used to my protien shake and 1 meal a day plan.

Wait, what?!

What's going to happen when you try to maintain the weight? You'll be wondering why you're gaining at 1200 calories.

Agree!!! :noway:
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 139...losing very slowly....I aim for 1200 calories a day on non work out days...yes, I eat back all my exercise calories..but again im losing only 1-2 pounds a month so maybe I need to stop doing that!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    ok...so I'm VERY NEW to dieting and I'm apparently clueless to what I'm suppose to be doing but how can you eat so many calories and still lose weight? I thought you ate less calories=weight loss? I workout out guaranteed for 30 minutes of the 30DS and i try to jog/run/walk at least 2x/week. My calorie goal is 1100. Is that right?

It's not always less calories = more weight lost. Adaptive thermogenesis will slow your metabolism if you eat too few calories. And even if it doesn't, you can burn out and end up binging. So it's better to eat at a moderate deficit and exercise than to cut calories too low and feel hungry and tired all the time.

Many of the women who are eating 1800 and 2000 calories or more are either very active, or have a good amount of muscle, or both. Those increase your metabolism. They also recognize that this isn't a race - there's no prize for getting there faster. Patience is the name of the game; if you lose 1/2-1 pound a week on a calorie level that you can feel satisfied on, you can stick with it. And when you reach your goal, you can add a few more hundred calories to be at maintenance and not gain a lot of weight back.

I'm 5'0" and 130 lbs, and I eat between 1600 and 1800 calories most days. I do heavy lifting 4 days a week, run 1 day, and do light cardio or rest the other 2. (edited to add): Last measured, I was at 26.5% body fat; I'm only interested in losing 5 or 10 pounds total, but I would be perfectly happy to stay at this weight and 22% body fat or so.

Great explanation! There is a huge difference between weight loss and fat loss, by eating at a slight to moderate deficit and lifting weights you help ensure you're losing mostly fat vs. muscle and fat. You should want to keep as much muscle as possible to keep your metabolism high and in the end have a much better physique. Plus why would you not want to eat as much as possible and still change your physique for the better?? :smile:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Wait, what?!

Agreed!!! You are doing more harm to yourself than good. Please read up on BMR and TDEE!
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    4' 10 1/2...1700 daily-My calorie goal comes from the TDEE-20% method as well as me wanting to make sure I eat over my BMR of 1609. & I workout 4-5 times a week. Not strenuous at all.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    ~2300 a day, on maintenance at 5'5" 135lbs, lightly to moderately active.
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    5'3", 143lbs. I run every other day and do Pilates 6 days a week. I eat anywhere from 1900 to 2300 calories a day, depending on my burn that day.