Frustrating Skinny Friend

Options

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Oh well. :D Enjoy that taco bell, let her be anti-carb!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    When I first lost weight, I talked about it all the time. I eventually learned it annoyed people, but my motivation wasn't to make others feel bad, it just reflected my total obsession with this thing I figured out that worked.

Now, I almost never talk about it unless I'm asked, but it's sometimes difficult when you feel you've got knowledge that could help your friend, who you care about, but can't say too much for fear of offence. Still, I stay mum, bc I figured out it will make her feel worse (unless she's in a moment where she's already geared up & wants clarification on something. Lol, bc, in my circle, I'm now an 'expert', ha.) But maybe your friend hasn't learned this yet.
  • coshaw19
    coshaw19 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sticking to a low carb diet is pretty essential when it comes to weight loss. that is just the fact of the matter, but what your "skinny" friend doesn't know is that cheat days will actually benefit your weight loss, especially when you get stuck in your weight loss. That's why body builders use "carb days" once a week when getting really lean to maintain muscle mass and confuse their metabolism into dropping more fat. It also restores glycogen stores which helps maintain strength and swell those muscles up. Cheat days are essential in the mental aspect of it, this is a life long thing not a short cut fix from the sounds of it. You can have a cheat day every once in a while, just don't make it a weekly ritual just do it on occasion when you really feel tired of all the crap. Hope you read this because this is the truth, you can't restrict yourself constantly and expect to maintain that the rest of your life. BTW avoid dextrose ( milk ) fructose (fruit) except for post workout! (or on a cheat or carb day)
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    So excited that joined a great group of people to vent to about my struggles and goals on weight loss who understand and support each other...Just a vent people no need to drag me through the dirt and make me feel bad. I've spent 4 hours today in the ER with sick kids with a deployed hubby...wah wah poor me. I'm sure none of you have had a bad day and just needed somewhere to vent to.

Ignore them. At least you fit it into your goals and didn't just binged on it. :smile:

Agreed.

I understand where you are coming from. Taco Bell is not the end of the world! My only advice is not to waste anymore emotional effort on this. What it takes away from you to be angry and hurt by it is doing you no good. Take a breathe, hug the sick kiddos and keep going!!!!
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly understand why you mentioned she was "skinny" and I totally know what you mean. My friend shoves Arby's down her face while I eat a banana. Been there. At least the girl you're referring to is going to the gym and keeping you motivated, but naturally skinny people just don't get it. I totally understand.

Secondly, we all have bad days. You didn't even mention what you had at Taco Bell. If you didn't eat everything on the menu, you could still be doing ok, lol! I don't eat meat, so a soft taco at Taco Bell is not the end of the world for me. Don't feel guilty! Own it and try to change it tomorrow!

You should be able to vent without everyone jumping down your throat, but sometimes our opinions get in the way of us being nice. Tomorrow will be a better day :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Your friend is an idiot. I eat Taco Bell several times a week.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Sticking to a low carb diet is pretty essential when it comes to weight loss. that is just the fact of the matter, but what your "skinny" friend doesn't know is that cheat days will actually benefit your weight loss, especially when you get stuck in your weight loss. That's why body builders use "carb days" once a week when getting really lean to maintain muscle mass and confuse their metabolism into dropping more fat. It also restores glycogen stores which helps maintain strength and swell those muscles up. Cheat days are essential in the mental aspect of it, this is a life long thing not a short cut fix from the sounds of it. You can have a cheat day every once in a while, just don't make it a weekly ritual just do it on occasion when you really feel tired of all the crap. Hope you read this because this is the truth, you can't restrict yourself constantly and expect to maintain that the rest of your life. BTW avoid dextrose ( milk ) fructose (fruit) except for post workout! (or on a cheat or carb day)

strong first post. Full of all sorts of fail, but it's okay, you're forgiven this time.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

This is your first post.

I think it should also be your last.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

This is your first post.

Van-Der-Beek-High-Five-GIF.gif
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

This is your first post.

loooooooooong slooooooowwwwww clap.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I will admit "Skinny Friend" is in great shape, and I by no mean ment for that to sound like i'm mad at her for that...Jealous yes, mad no. I don't mean it in a bad way, but if your the bigger of your friends you probably understand that feeling that you get sometimes, not always. She is great motivation working out and I appreciate her for that. I'm just getting back on track and I count calories every single day and every time we talk about food it turns into a debate because we have different opinions so I try to stay off that topic and as soon as I said it today I knew I was going to get criticized for my choices, thats why I button my mouth and move on with her. We would go round and round on the subject and just end up mad so there is no point. We don't agree. So thats where my coming here came into play.

There are some people that I just don't talk about food with.

Agreed, and for me that's almost all people.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Hmmm I must still be fat then, I eat a lot of carbs.

*looks down*

Oh. Well this is awkward.
  • Trevorcook91
    Trevorcook91 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    So excited that joined a great group of people to vent to about my struggles and goals on weight loss who understand and support each other...Just a vent people no need to drag me through the dirt and make me feel bad. I've spent 4 hours today in the ER with sick kids with a deployed hubby...wah wah poor me. I'm sure none of you have had a bad day and just needed somewhere to vent to.

I know how you feel. I have had sick kids while my husband was deployed. You have a lot on your plate. We all have bad days, so we just have to start fresh with the next meal and make better choices. Everyone needs to vent at one time or another. Just try to continue on your journey. Hope the kids get better soon and your husband comes home soon. Thank you and your family for your sacrifice. God bless our troops.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I will admit "Skinny Friend" is in great shape, and I by no mean ment for that to sound like i'm mad at her for that...Jealous yes, mad no. I don't mean it in a bad way, but if your the bigger of your friends you probably understand that feeling that you get sometimes, not always. She is great motivation working out and I appreciate her for that. I'm just getting back on track and I count calories every single day and every time we talk about food it turns into a debate because we have different opinions so I try to stay off that topic and as soon as I said it today I knew I was going to get criticized for my choices, thats why I button my mouth and move on with her. We would go round and round on the subject and just end up mad so there is no point. We don't agree. So thats where my coming here came into play.

I too am one of those people who vents to clear my mind, but along with that there will always be some people that fully give their opinion whether it is nice or not. Some days I can take it as them just telling it like it is and other days it really gets to me and I feel horrible because they are not relating to how I feel or I don't feel like they support me. That is where I have had to censor what I tell certain people because if it just going to make me feel worse and looking for their support is not worth it.

You did what was right for you and whether she agreed with it or not, it is not her life so her opinion is just that....her opinion. Don't let what she said to you change your plan to succeed at weight loss if what you are doing is working. I have people tell me all the time what I "should be doing" in regards to maintenance or working out, but at the end of the day I am living in this body, not them, so I have the right to make my own choices and not feel guilty about them.

Do what is best for you and best wishes!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Sounds like someone is mad that they don't get to eat Taco Bell.

Eat bread in front of her next time. Just for fun.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Since this is supposedly your friend (and it seems your accountability buddy)...shouldn't you be talking to her about this instead of airing your grievances to a bunch of strangers on the internet?

I hope your friend doesn't get on MFP and see this.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Just wanted a clarification! Is she always correcting you or advising you on what you eat? Or did she strike a nerve today because you were already stressed out! If I am stressing, the last thing I want to hear is some well-meaning friend nagging me about my diet!
    Some people who are losing weight think that their way is the only way and don't realize that there are all kinds of different methods for losing and keeping the weight off.
    Anyway, feel free to vent anytime!
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    There are no evil foods.

Curry jello

Whoa. I'm going to have to agree with you on that one. :sick:
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I ate Taco Bell's Cantina steak burrito last night. It was GREAT!! I went over my calorie goal by almost 500 calories because of it and I don't feel guilty at all.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    There are no evil foods.

Curry jello

Curry jello shots? With little chunks of tofu.