Why do people disregard walking?

Options

Replies

• icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Walking is amazing! I walk everyday with my dog or go hiking with her on my days off.

It's easy on my joints, love the fresh air in my lungs, greenery to look at and it is very meditative for me.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I do Leslie too, power walk is great and makes you sweat a lot :)
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If it is working for you, and feel better and are getting results, screw the rest.

Everyone is on this journey doing what they need to do for themselves. I am proud of you!! (Because you are doing what you need to do for you, AND you are standing up for yourself)
  • pearlmorning
    pearlmorning Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I LOVE walking! I walk 2-7 miles each day 5 - 7days a week and have lost 50#. They tell you any exercise is good for you; stairs instead of elevators, park across the lots and walk, walk to work, etc. I walk in the country (where I live) and listen to the sounds and pay attention to the sights as I go along. I notice the seasons, wildlife, and flora change. I usually do a 17 min. mile. average unless I'm walking with the kids then we average 20 and I get to hear about their day and concerns and thoughts. I have people drive past now and wave and tap their horn with a smile. If your fitness buddies aren't supportive of "any" activity you're doing you might need new buddies. Come on over to my side! :)
  • SarahJane0691
    SarahJane0691 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself - its better to be walking, enjoying it and getting what you need from it, than to start a high impact aerobics, hate it and give up. If its working for you ignore the doubters.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have always walked a lot and I managed to get fat anyway. Maybe I'd have gotten twice as fat without it, who knows, but for me, walking is just an incidental part of my day, not my exercise routine.

Actually you got fat from eating more than you burn, not from walking or not walking.

Thanks so much for the condescension, but that does not contradict what I said. Many people on this thread are saying that they lost weight from walking alone, and I believe them, but for me, that was already part of my baseline so I had to do something else.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what other people think. Do what works for you!

Some people prefer higher intensity, dripping sweat and blood workouts, some prefer lower intensity things like walking. I actually like both! I love how I feel after a tough sweaty workout, and I love how I feel walking outside in nature! Variety is the spice of life! :drinker:

I don't love Leslie Sansone's walk at home stuff though. But that's just me!
  • ttiiggzz
    ttiiggzz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My main form of exercise, and since I got my Fitbit I'm held very accountable.

My work is starting a Wellness thing next week for "steps", even handing out pedometers.

*pats Fitbit*
  • bestkiwi2003
    bestkiwi2003 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    another converted walker and fitbit junkie... I know I love knowing that there is friendly competition with some of my friends at the gym and at work.

Enjoy and happy walking. Keep moving forward to a better you
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If walking is your exercise of choice, and is something that you will stick to and do consistently, then that is the best exercise in the world... for you. If everyone is trying to tell you some other exercise is better than walking it doesn't matter how good it is if it's not something you enjoy doing and will stick to, consistently.

The calorie burn difference for the same amount of time between walking and "most" other cardio exercises is negligible in the end. Especially if you don't enjoy, or won't stick to the other exercises.

Walking is a good all around cardiovascular exercise no matter what anyone tells you. In other words. If walking is what you like, have at it!!! :drinker:
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I think some people walking disregard walking because they either think of a basic stroll around the neighborhood (walking slow, stopping to chat with others) or they think you have to kill yourself with workouts to see truly a difference.

I lost the majority of my weight doing Walk At Home videos and power walking outside and I still walk 6 - 7 days per week. In both cases I sweat, I get my heart rate up and I keep it up.

Everyone will not like doing the same workouts and that's okay. The key it to find something you like and will continue to do!
  • p2smommy
    Options
    I am a walker... I attempt running when the mood hits me or when I'm really feeling the extra energy. However, the vast majority of my cardio is walking. As long as you are moving, and it's working for you, don't let other people's views on walking bother you. YOU know what works for YOU.. YOU are seeing the results that YOU are working for.

I have said it a thousand times, and I'll say it a thousand more...to each their own. My husband LOVES running (like, seriously.. he's addicted to it).. he meets me at the back door every time I get back from a run/walk, and asks me if I enjoyed the run. If it weren't for the added benefits of the run for me, I wouldn't do it, period. I would MUCH rather be walking.

50 lbs is proof positive that the walking works, so keep on keepin' on! :)

Great job!
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I expected rudeness.....you are the ignorance I speak of.....THANK YOU for proving my point.
    Be more careful where you aim the hate cannon... I wasn't rude at all. I was nothing but supportive... Also, I don't think you have a clue what the word ignorant means.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with tracking walking because I do so much of it just to get places. I don't drive so I take the city bus, and they often get me somewhat close, but not quite to where I need to go. I easily put in a good 3-4 miles a day just getting to my destination. (And sometimes when I miss the bus I just walk all the way downtown to catch the next bus I need or walk for 30 minutes along the bus route and stop to catch the next one that comes by).

Only time I count walking is when I purposely go walk with a friend for exercise sake.

Walking is a great exercise. I guess since it's easy for able-bodied people to do it's often considered no big deal.

Same here. I live in New York and me and boyfriend are always exploring so I easily get in 3 or 4 or more miles in every day. The only reason I don't log it as exercise is because it is something I do every day and my body is so used to it. Plus, the calorie burn from it is probably lower now that I have lost weigh.

Like others have said, as an exercise it's a little too boring for me. I like running where I can try to break my fastest speed. But I cool down with walking and it's so peaceful after a run. Do what works for you!
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I expected rudeness.....you are the ignorance I speak of.....THANK YOU for proving my point.
    Be more careful where you aim the hate cannon... I wasn't rude at all. I was nothing but supportive... Also, I don't think you have a clue what the word ignorant means.

I think she was talking to the user "whierd" not you. Shes not using the quotes lol
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I love to walk - I walk my dog and always us my runkeeper to monitor how far I go as well as my calorie burn. I do aerobics classes in the mornings but get out and walk at night - your moving, your sweating and you feel good thats what matters... dont let others bring you down...
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Walking/jogging is fine, if it is working for you.

I have responded to a lot of people on here who have said that they are stuck and can't get the weight to come off....
    And their exercise is consisting of walking or jogging.....for 20 - 30 min.

So that is when I tell them, stop the aerobic stuff and start pushing weights.
    Get some muscle built up to help your metabolism.

So I am not against walking......I just think on top of doing that, push some iron to develop and tone some muscle.
    So when the weight does drop off, the frame you have will look a lot better.
  • butterflies02875
    butterflies02875 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I walk everyday and have great results , love the fresh air, all the different things I see. I wouldn't stop walking for anything. I go to the gym but I hate just staring at the walk or someone being fake... So keep on walkin..
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get back to walking! My first knee surgery is in September, so hoping for great results. After having a history of walking 2x a day 3-4 miles each time I can't even do a block anymore due to my knees being bone on bone! You do not need to do some wild Beach Body crap to be fit!!
  • tomedog
    tomedog Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I walk everyday for 2.5 to 3 miles and have had great results. Sometimes I will jog/walk if I want to get my heart rate up a little bit and have lost 25lbs. Stay consistent!!