Why do people disregard walking?

Options

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot. I like to walk. It's my go to exercise opposite of weights/boxing/biking and the occasional treadmill or elliptical.

But for me and my goals, walking is the 'extra exercise' walking. I don't count the walking I do around Walmart while grocery shopping.
  • Arnpobgyn
    Options
    I walk also for the same reason plus at my age and weight, I am not ready to destroy my knees, hips and ankles by running. Sometimes I swim (more like play in the water) but it is still exercise. I don't walk every day but try to do so 3-4 x a week. Spend from 25-45 minutes when I do walk and go uphill part of the way. I do get sweaty too walking and it is hot still in Florida. Wish I had some one near by to walk with me. Would probably go more often. I am loosing. I started before I joined this group and since the beginning I have lost about 18 pounds in about 3 months. I know that is slow but at least it is going down and not up!
  • Madhouseof5
    Madhouseof5 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just got back from a 7.5 mile (12km) walk. I can't run due to shin splints, so walking is more than adequate for my needs. I also like that it gives me some "me time". I live in a mostly rural area so plenty of fresh air & peace and quiet. I never count the every day type of walking I do, around the house, from the car to the school to pick up the kids or around the supermarket, that would just be silly, but anything where I go out of my way to walk briskly for over 30 minutes. My 7.5 mile walk has earned me nearly over 450 calories, so no complaints here.

Do what works for you, don't take any notice of what others say (or ask for their opinion!)
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    I don't disregard walking, but for me, it has to be one with some effort (~4mph+). A slow leisurely saunter at 2mph with my kids doesn't really cut it in terms of exercise. Just my $.02.
  • Arnpobgyn
    Options
    My heart rate also speeds up also and I have to slow down. I think it is because I walk in the Florida heat mid day at times. Believe me when I say you sweat! North Florida is hilly and I walk the hills going up to 3 mph at a moderate pace. When you are really overweight, it isn't hard to get your heart rate up doing anything. You are so out of shape. HR improves the longer you exercise and the more weight loss you have.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I walk for exercise. I have a disability that makes any high impact or high intensity exercising to be too difficult and painful. I've found that walking is the only thing I can count on to not leave me in agony the next day. So, I walk. I walk everywhere. I burn on average 250kcal from walking every day without even trying. I can power up long, steep hills like nobody's business (it helps to live in a mountainous region lol)

Do what works for you. If walking makes you feel good, do it. Don't let others hate on your body OR your ability.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm English, but when I went to the US I noticed that not many people walk anywhere.
    Did you also notice we're one of the fattest nations? Correlation perhaps?:smile:
    the US is much more spread out, and with such varying climate that in many parts walking to work, school, etc. is just not feasible for most people. I'm fortunate enough to live in a small town where I can actually walk to most things I need (except work, that's 28 miles away) but I still have to walk at least 1.5 miles to get to any stores or restaurants. I do it, and I enjoy it. but we are a car commuter culture. Yes, I do blame that in part for our high rate of obesity... but I'm doing my part to lower that rate by a smidgeon ;)
    We are spread out. By our own doing. Many european communities have challenging weather, yet they walk. We are a car culture, for sure. I live in a medium sized city with mediocre mass transit. I walk to stores, restaurants, and work (usually I ride, actually). I ride the bus (which then means walking) as much as possible. It all adds up. Good for you!

Yes, I agree. And it does somewhat depend on where you live. New Yorkers walk a lot. And so do other big city dwellers that live in the city, like Boston, San Francisco, Chicago. L.A. was kind of an anomaly, but that has changed some as more people live in their downtown now.

I work in the city. I'll never forget going to a professional meeting after work where the meeting was 2-3 blocks from my office. Of course I walked. But I remember the shock by another attendee who was equal distance (2.5 blocks), at my walking 'all the way there'. She drove. She was also overweight. And less than a year later she also had a heart attack and open heart surgery. Sigh.

Honestly, I don't get any negative view of walking. For me it is like the foundation of any exercise routine. It is always the staple, then build on and do different things from there. But the goal for me is always 10,000 steps minimum a day irrespective of anything else I do.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    People disregard any lifestyle choice that they haven't practically experienced the results off. My dad is a heart patient and has taken amazing care of himself just by walking after dinner every day. I'm a big cardio fan at the gym, but even on days I can't get into the gym I walk around the mall, or back and forth from school. I avoid taking a car or the bus unless its really lousy weather. You can easily fit walking into your day, even a trip to the grocery store by foot adds up a lot in the long run. Tried and tested :) Don't give up on what works for you and tune out the naysayers
    The normal means of locomotion for humans is a lifestyle choice? Is that as an alternative to crawling or something? Are there millions of people who crawl everywhere they go instead? Or do they crabwalk?
    Are you being sarcastic or obtuse?:wink:
  • Walking is awesome. Don't let anyone discourage you.

You might be interested in my new blog which encourages 10,000 Steps for Life.

http://10000stepsforlife.com/

Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/10000stepsforlife/

Keep up the walking. I'm down 25 pounds just with walking and watching what I eat.

Jerry
    I enjoyed your blog very much. I am going to strive for 10K a day. I have walked for years as my primary and used to strive for 10K steps. I think I will strive again. Thanks for the boost.

Keep on walkin' people. When I took my elderly mother abroad, she could barely walk as needed (streets of Paris). I was so motivated to never be like that. I am thankful for my walking years and hope to walk till my dying day. I do power walk when I can. I think my dog actually slows me down. She is not able to keep up. So I need to walk her, drop her off, and keep on going.
  • pietvr
    Options
    I have a bad back, herniated disk pressing against the sacral nerve in my left leg. That limits what I can do. Walking every day, once in the morning and once in the late afternoon, works for me. I get dragged along by my dog. I vary my walks between 20 and 40 minutes each, depending on the pain level at the time. I also have high blood pressure, diabetes and bad knees (from years of martial arts), so running is not an option. Swimming would also be a good alternative, but most programs cost $$.

I had thought that life was on the down swing for me with the limitations I have, but with walking and watching what I eat, I am slowly getting back into better health.

Walking rules!!
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    We are spread out. By our own doing. Many european communities have challenging weather, yet they walk. We are a car culture, for sure. I live in a medium sized city with mediocre mass transit. I walk to stores, restaurants, and work (usually I ride, actually). I ride the bus (which then means walking) as much as possible. It all adds up. Good for you!
    It's not *my* doing, or the doing of anyone I know... that is just how things have evolved for the past couple of centuries ;)

If only mass transit was a viable option for more people... that might change a lot. For instance, In my area there has been a recent push for light rail. The new line that connects the college town I live near and the big city to the south goes right through my town, about 2 miles away. It does not stop here, though. To get to a stop I would have to go about 5 miles north or 6 miles south. Then it would take over an hour to get to within a mile of my work. In better weather, I could ride my bike there, but that means the hassle of keeping track of my bike on the train and adding at least 2 hours round trip to my commute... so I just drive. Bus service would be great, but alas... does not exist anywhere closer than the train stops. btw, my "small" town is really a cluster of 4 towns, with about 50k in population total. Another 1 million or so people within 20 miles. 4 million within 35 miles. So it's not like we're out in the boonies.

The worst is that they installed a new walk/hike/bike trail that follows a 20-mile stretch of that light rail track. It's a great thing... but between me and it there is a major freeway and no way to cross safely (narrow, steep, shoulderless overpasses, heavy traffic, etc).

My point is just that the design around here, and in all but the most metropolitan of US cities, simply does not allow for walking to and from our normal day-to-day locations. So, it's not something that "we all do every day" as another poster claimed. Before I started being more conscious of my activity level, I was walking *maybe* 2000 steps per average day. Now I average over 10,000 but only because I decided to do that. It's not just a part of life for most people.
  • I have a bad back, herniated disk pressing against the sacral nerve in my left leg. That limits what I can do. Waling every day, once in the morning and once in the late afternoon, works for me. I get dragged along by my dog. I vary my walks between 20 and 40 minutes each, depending on the pain level at the time. I also have high blood pressure, diabetes and bad knees (from years of martial arts), so running is not an option. Swimming would also be a good alternative, but most programs cost $$.

I had thought that life was on the down swing for me with the limitations I have, but with walking and watching what I eat, I am slowly getting back into better health.

Walking rules!!

Yes, you are having to deal with a lot. Keep walking! I hope you get your blood pressure and diabetes under control soon. Good for you for breaking it up. That is what I suggested to my mom. You don't have to do it all at once.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    People disregard any lifestyle choice that they haven't practically experienced the results off. My dad is a heart patient and has taken amazing care of himself just by walking after dinner every day. I'm a big cardio fan at the gym, but even on days I can't get into the gym I walk around the mall, or back and forth from school. I avoid taking a car or the bus unless its really lousy weather. You can easily fit walking into your day, even a trip to the grocery store by foot adds up a lot in the long run. Tried and tested :) Don't give up on what works for you and tune out the naysayers
    The normal means of locomotion for humans is a lifestyle choice? Is that as an alternative to crawling or something? Are there millions of people who crawl everywhere they go instead? Or do they crabwalk?
    Are you being sarcastic or obtuse?:wink:

Since I have that poster on ignore, I vote for obsolete. :wink:
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My main exercise is walking. I've lost over 50 lbs walking alone. I'm going for an additional few pounds now.
    I will always walk for my main exercise and toss in a couple of times a week doing yoga.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's not *my* doing, or the doing of anyone I know... that is just how things have evolved for the past couple of centuries ;)

If only mass transit was a viable option for more people... that might change a lot. For instance, In my area there has been a recent push for light rail. The new line that connects the college town I live near and the big city to the south goes right through my town, about 2 miles away. It does not stop here, though. To get to a stop I would have to go about 5 miles north or 6 miles south. Then it would take over an hour to get to within a mile of my work. In better weather, I could ride my bike there, but that means the hassle of keeping track of my bike on the train and adding at least 2 hours round trip to my commute... so I just drive. Bus service would be great, but alas... does not exist anywhere closer than the train stops. btw, my "small" town is really a cluster of 4 towns, with about 50k in population total. Another 1 million or so people within 20 miles. 4 million within 35 miles. So it's not like we're out in the boonies.

The worst is that they installed a new walk/hike/bike trail that follows a 20-mile stretch of that light rail track. It's a great thing... but between me and it there is a major freeway and no way to cross safely (narrow, steep, shoulderless overpasses, heavy traffic, etc).

My point is just that the design around here, and in all but the most metropolitan of US cities, simply does not allow for walking to and from our normal day-to-day locations. So, it's not something that "we all do every day" as another poster claimed. Before I started being more conscious of my activity level, I was walking *maybe* 2000 steps per average day. Now I average over 10,000 but only because I decided to do that. It's not just a part of life for most people.
    Not disagreeing. Mass transit is not very good in many American cities/towns, and not valued.
  • Shanny5909
    Shanny5909 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Walking, swimming...2 of the healthiest things you can do to exercise your body!
  • stellakhenizy
    Options
    Ten years ago I lost over 50kg - the only exercise I did was walking

Sadly I've put it all back on over the interim years, but I am back taking my weight seriously
    and again the best I can do is walk, walk, walk. It's one of the best exercises there is.

If you are doing the same, please feel free to friend me :)
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    just got back from my 3.5 mile sandwich walk. Even in the 90+ degree TX heat (it's mid-september, right? grrr) it was plenty enjoyable and according to my HRM I burned 651 kcal. That's about 11 more than the sandwich I ate... even after adjusting for elevated heart rate (b/c of the heat) I still only netted about 40-50 calories for lunch today.

yeah, walking's a terrible waste of time. what was I thinking? Back to the couch, where the real calories are burned!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    The only thing better than walking is everything else. The best you can get from waking is looking like someone who walks. Which is at best meh. But better than fat.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread, me and my boyfriend decided to go for a walk. We got 12000 steps and I decided to have chips with my pasta for tea!

Now for my 2 weeks off in October ( bf too, we booked the same week ) we'll be aiming for an hours walk a day if we can fit it in. Obviously this wont be obtainable every day! But whenever we can or feel up to it we certainly will. I don't fancy eating at 1200 cals for my 16 days off, nor does he!

Walking is a life saver for those who don't have a gym membership, or like or exercises like myself.