Why do people disregard walking?

Options
I don't know you guys.....buy my support team somewhat sucks when I begin to talk about my cardiovascular choice......WALKING. I do Leslie Sansone EVERYDAY and have seen great results but I hate telling people I WALK....because they never have anything good to say about it......but Leslie is NO JOKE.....I usually have an average HR of 150 and reach highs of 166-168 (94%). So I'm sweating and my heart is getting a workout.

Leslie is the only workout I can truly do and STAY COMMITTED to. I can't commit to others....but I want to celebrate and be proud of my walking choice.....ughhhhh.....any walkers out there with great things to say about it? I really need to hear some good things right about now. I'm having one of those days.

Replies

• pigote
    pigote Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Walking is my main exercise and has been for 18 months. Down 50 pounds :-)
    Usually on the treadmill but occasionally at the mall, or on a path outside. Love it and hope to be able to do it for my whole life!
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker and love it! I usually do around 10 miles a week (15 minute miles) and my calves are amazing looking and my bum has become noticeably firmer :bigsmile:
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I run every other day and do body weight workouts on the days in between but, when I'm asked what is the best workout to get in shape and/or lose weight, I always say "whatever exercise you will actually do and STICK WITH." If that's walking, then you go right ahead and walk your butt off!
  • Msdnice
    Options
    I am allllllll for great BUNS!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    Options
    When I first made the decision to try and get healthier I started walking two miles per day and I dropped about 50 pounds just by walking and burning more than I was eating so I think walking is FANTASTIC!!! Whatever the choice of exercise is shouldn't matter, just matters that were doing the exercise!!! Hang in there and continue walking!
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I walked 5 miles today and burned a lot of calories so I'm with you!
  • KD0BIK
    KD0BIK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Walking is awesome. Don't let anyone discourage you.

You might be interested in my new blog which encourages 10,000 Steps for Life.

http://10000stepsforlife.com/

Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/10000stepsforlife/

Keep up the walking. I'm down 25 pounds just with walking and watching what I eat.

Jerry
  • KathryneJY
    KathryneJY Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I walk every day. I also do other stuff, but I always walk. It burns lots of calories, is a great way to think about stuff, and I try to vary my routes for interest. 34 lbs so far!
  • midnight_storm
    midnight_storm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think it's just because they don't want to hear that something so simple is working for you and not them.

My ex roommate/ex best friend said that I was lying about losing 40 pounds in not even a year because I 'sat on my *kitten* and ate everything, and never exercised' and then continued to say 'and walking up and down stairs doesn't count'.

She lived with me for about 9 months. In that time period, that's when I lost most of the 40 lbs, if not all. She gained weight, and she also probably walked up and down those stairs more than I did in a day.

Just saying, I did no other exercising, maybe once a week walking around with friends, but nothing anymore serious. AND she was on her feet for around 5 hours at work. Obviously walking up and down stairs worked.

But yeah, they're probably just jealous that walking works for you.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I like walking a lot. But it's hard on my knees and ankles.

So I spend more time on the rowing machine these.

Keep on walking!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If you can get a good heart rate, that is all that matters. I love her videos, however my heart rate only gets to 100 IF I am lucky with them. I do sweat. Anyway. who cares what they think? You can add me, I try to be supportive, and walking is as good as any:bigsmile: thing else mission for cardio is getting the heart rate up. Duh.
  • EmilyAnn09
    Options
    Walking is awesome! I burn calories just by walking to school and back each day. And it makes me happy.

If you find something you enjoy that makes you happy, never let it go.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    You could tell them you do low impact aerobics if it bothers you. But you shouldn't let it bother you. Just keep doing what you're doing if it works and enjoy the results. Personally, I love walking. It's kind of a mental refresher for me as well as great physical activity. I love an hour long walk.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I walked a 10k today. Walking is definitely no joke.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Walking is awesome since i started adding it to my day i have been losing weight! I like walking outside at a good pace then come in and run in my treadmill!!
  • Msdnice
    Options
    I sweat I had a sexy back when I used that dog gone row machine. I have to get one.....seriously!
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm limited for my exercise. I can't run anymore due to injuries, but I can walk! I get 1.5 to 2 miles good walking at work ( on my breaks) and even more at home and weekends. My legs are in great shape and the rest is starting to slim down too!!

I do weights work for muscle tone, but my real calorie burn is walking!!

Just keep stepping stepping stepping !! (in my best Dory voice)
  • Msdnice
    Options
    I love walking. I will keep it up
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I have no car so I walk everywhere I go I find it relaxing and puts me in a zen state its by far my favorite way to get around ^.^
  • Msdnice
    Options
    Thanks! Walking is awesome. I love long walks.