Why do people disregard walking?

Options

Replies

• addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's a great exercise especially in some hilly areas. It's not really my thing I just find it a bit boring to do as a full workout. I like a jog/ walk mix.

It gets pretty crazy thing at an elite level. My mate is in one of the national teams for Australia and he does power walking (Just missed out on qualifying for London a couple years ago) but he's the fittest person I know. Not a drop of fat on him and calves like steel.

Good on you, walkers.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    My main source of exercise is walking and hiking. I live in a town with AWESOME trails and areas to really get a good walk in.......and I try to take advantage often! Don't let the naysayers tell you that walking isn't ENOUGH. It's an activity you can do ALL your life, and it's good for you.

Walk on!!!

:love: :love: :love: :love:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    walking is my exercise. I love it. I walk both of my breaks at work. for a mile. then after work I go to a park and walk about 2 miles. throw my headphones in and it's so peaceful to me. the park is about five houses down from me. I enjoy it.
  • Msdnice
    Options
    I love Ms. Leslie.....she really is a guru. I go out to the track on the weekends....We share something in common.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Walking is my drug and my religion.

It's really one of the best cardio exercises: weight-bearing, but low impact, and no equipment other than a decent pair of shoes. It can be done by almost anyone at any fitness level and is good for meditation.

I enjoy doing most of my walks outside, but I have definitely been considering getting those DVDs for when it's bad weather.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Walked four miles today! I love it and its getting so much easier with every pound I lose!
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Walking is my favorite thing to do and it is good for my mind and body.
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    XxAngry_Pixi Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    meh I wouldn't worry about what they think, walking is great!
  • Msdnice
    Options
    You will love her!
  • gebhart4
    gebhart4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Other than work that is my only exercise, I do around a little less than an hour a day. Seems to be working awesome so far.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I think walking is a great exercise. You get to see new scenery and get your heartrate up and really break a sweat. I walk everyday now and swim. I try to make it at least two to three times a week to do my yoga and resistance bands. I even get my hubbie to join me on walks on the weekends. Exercise is exercise. If you are sweating and your heart is pumping then you are doing good.
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    More moving is vital. Doesn't matter what you do while moving, just that you move more this day than yesterday, more this week than last, etc . You needn't compete with others, just yourself.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Walking is awesome! I run. I also walk.I look forward to my weekly email from fitbit telling me how much I walked.
  • Bubbl3s25
    Options
    The majority of my exercise is walking. I hike in the weekends, hitting the hills and power walk during the week. Have just recently incorporated weights into my program for a change but most of my lower body came from walking.
    My power walking using sits on an average speed of 7.6kph and that is not on a treadmill.
    Fab burn
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    walking is a great way to exercise, and reduce impact injuries caused by things like running
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I like walking too, I try to walk to work occasionally too. I often walk in my lunch break over the country park.
    I use run keeper app on my iPhone and track my routes and have found it is pretty spot on to the calorie burn shown on my HRM.
    I have set myself a 30 mile walk target this month and on reflection maybe that's too low I walk more than I thought.
    Walking gives me chance to detox my brain and enjoy looking at what's around me. Very relaxing.

I also use Ellipti***** and Dreadmill and all the other stuff in my home gym. ????

I'm going to google Leslie because I've never heard of her. See if she inspires me too.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I count my walk to and from work as a workout, being that it's a little over a half hour each way. I also do pilates and weight training.
  • bcassandra
    Options
    Walking is great! I walk as well and when I started my walking program I used Walk Away the Pounds. There are different levels to this program. To me it is more of an aerobic walking program than simply walking. Now my sister and I do a brisk walk sometimes up to 3-4miles and then come home and finish with some strength training.

Be encouraged because aerobic walking is great and of course we know that making the right food choices along with portion control is an even greater factor.

Best Wishes!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Walking is and has been my primary exercise! It's easy, you can do it anywhere, and it's great for you.