Do you have an age range that you consider old

Options
124»

Replies

• fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My husbands grand father passed away at 96. When he was 90 we always said he had more spunk than most 60 year olds in the family.. Those who were in their 60's at that time looked and acted like what you would think a 90 year old would be.
    Now my MIL is 78 and is in horrible condition We keep expecting "that" phone call any day. Same with my husbands father. 78 and looks really bad. Lots of health problem. I see a lady walk past my house every day. One day I said hello and we started to talk. I thought she was probably 60. I was surprised when she told me she was 86!! She has more spring in her step that I do.

So it all depends on the person. I don't think any particular number is considered old. Its all about the individual person.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Old is merely a mental state of mind.
    tell it to my hips and knees. I'm 53. and I'm probably a broken hip waiting to happen. I'm not the best house keeper and I keep telling myself to pick stuff (likes shoes) up off the floor and put them where they belong..I'm at 'that age.' I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go down and it's gonna be ugly. I also have 2 friends my age who have already had both hips replaced. age is a state of joints.

For most people who break a hip, it's actually break a hip then fall (at least, the age related ones; this doesn't apply to skiing accidents etc, lol). So if you do weight bearing exercise and have good calcium intake you'll decrease your risk (and talk to the doctor about risks of osteoporosis). And I usually don't hear of things like that happening until 60s and 70s.

If hips and knees are bothering you, it's probably related, at least partly, to fitness level and weight. Even people with early osteo-arthritis do better when they are active and "normal" weight. You CAN do something about it! (My grandma had pretty bad arthritis in her back and hips and was still active and spry into her 80s; yes, she slowed down a bit after 75, but she didn't seem "old" at all)