Constipation help?

Options
124»

Replies

• michellechawner
    Options
    I have horrible IBS and my doctors and I have been working for 2 years and we finally found a way to get through it, with a mixture of meds, stretches, fiber counts, glasses of water, etc, but it took 2 years of figuring out what worked for me before I saw any relief. People tell me i was nuts, because I would only go to the bathroom once every 7-10 days. Now i go every 2-3, so the doctors are pleased with the progress.

ETA: Natural? I do yoga daily every morning. Typically, every 2-3 days, within an hour of yoga, I need to run to the restroom. First you need to start going, then work on keeping it regular.
  • SEC_RULES
    SEC_RULES Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Eat at Taco Bell.... that always works for me.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Are you meeting your macros in real dietary fiber?

By REAL fiber, I mean fiber from fruits and veggies, NOT bars or cereals that advertise they "contain x grams of fiber". That fiber is not as good and does not act the same in the body.

I mean fiber as in a roasted fennel bulb or avocado, steel cut oats type of thing. Try meeting your recommended fiber goal with unprocessed foods (foods our digestive system evolved on), than get back to us.

The worst thing that can happen out of this is that you will spend 2 days eating a highly nutritious diet.
  • carolstartingover
    Options
    I have been that way for years. Lately I find that a Slimfast drink with fruit in it and Soy milk blended in, has helped me go. I noticed it right after I started drinking these for breakfast.
  • carolstartingover
    Options
    I have been that way for years. Lately I find that a Slimfast drink with fruit in it and Soy milk blended in, has helped me go. I noticed it right after I started drinking these for breakfast.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    The number 1 thing that works for me is my black bean brownies ! There yummy and do the trick in the morning.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Aloe Vera Juice, I have tried that before in the past and that seems to work pretty good for that.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies, fruits and water.
    Prune juice.
    Fats.
    Worse comes to worst, those "slimming teas"

Edit to add Kefir.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Just had a wee look at your diary and you eat almost no vegetables. The apples are nice but apples can be binding. so can bananas. ie they're something you give to a kid with diarrhoea. :D

You need to medicinally have 2 cups of coleslaw every evening. Yup. Three even. No, just 2. And if you haven't started coming back online by the end of 3 days I'd say you have a serious medical issue eg prolapsed bowel, etc. I've never known the cabbage attack to fail.

Honestly, I have IBS-C and cabbage always does it for me. I know if I have cabbage rolls for dinner that I'll be meeting the toilet soon enough. Thankfully, I friggin love cabbage.

But yeah, good luck. Constipation is brutal and painful so i feel you.
  • hollywood8782
    hollywood8782 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try prunes! I found that I used to have that problem all the time, my body never regulated everyday like many people (even as a child). Now I go every other day but I noticed that the multivitamins I was taking was really making me constipated (Womens One a Day are the worse for me) so now I take Rainbow Light which is more natural and eat right plus exercise. But other than that eat veggies veggies veggies and fiber.
  • dlbaron
    dlbaron Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm also one of those people who eats tons of fiber from natural sources, tons of water everyday, at least 1 tbsp of flaxseed meal each day, but I'm often constipated. I already get enough fat, mostly from nuts, nut butter, and oil, but I'm definitely going to try coconut oil! Senna tea works but I definitely don't want that as a daily solution- painful tummy cramps and I don't want to rely on it.

Has anyone read Fiber Menace? Just heard of it and started skimming the website (gutsense.org) and it totally contradicts traditional advice. Since lots of fiber and water doesn't work for me, I'm considering buying the book or at least trying to slowly reduce my fiber intake. I'd love to know if people have read it or tried anything like that and had success.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    "When I had this issue awhile back I went to the health food store to pick up lunch and decided to look around for some 'smooth move tea' which I couldn't find" ....

It is at Walmart. I know each Walmart is different but I have seen it at 4 different Walmarts 'round here.