Shirataki/Miracle noodles - anyone lost weight eating them?

Options
If YOU EAT shirataki noodles or miracle noodles, have you actually lost weight while eating them and sticking to your daily calorie goal?
I am asking because I wonder if they are fooling the body like diet soda does and you don't lose weight, even with the same calorie deficit.
There have been studies in rats designed to test their theory that artificial ingredients alter the body’s ability to regulate calorie intake. There are foods that stall weight loss regardless of their calorie content.
I'm not asking who doesn't like the noodles.
Thanks.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    They are awful, awful noodles.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I lost weight eating real noodles. Just eat real noodles.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I like em. But they are no miracle. You won't lose weight because you eat them, you'll lose weight because you have a calorie deficit. You may find it easier to maintain a calorie deficit (as some folks do) by not eating a "starchy" pasta. But still, you lose weight because of a calorie deficit.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the "miracle" is, but yeah they aren't good. I tried them in several recipes
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you are taking the miracle part a bit too literal?

Weight loss is dependent on eating at a calorie deficit. Whether you eat these noodles or not, it doesn't matter as long as you are at a deficit.
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i had them, i soaked them first in a stock to give flavour as they don't really taste of anything! i couldn't get used to the slippy texture though x
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I've heard they can be made OK/decent when prepared in some ways. Don't really see what the 'miracle' is though. All food is made essentially the same when you're going based on calories alone (not involving macros, etc). Eat what you want, just less of it depending on your goals. :)
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    They are awful, awful noodles.

^^^^AGREE^^^^ I really wanted to like them but nope not good at all. I will just eat regular pasta less frequently. I tried the rinse and 'dry' fry method but still awful and rubbery!
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Jeez opinions are like...
    I'm asking people who actually do eat them what your experiences are please.
    I dont care if you dont like them and dont eat them.
    If you stick to your CALORIE DEFICIT, has anyone LOST weight eating them?
    I am asking because I wonder if they actually stall weight loss, despite being zero calorie, like diet drinks, I wonder if they fool your body into NOT losing weight.
    Would only like the opinions of people who actually eat them please.
  • fnsaleh
    fnsaleh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've eaten them before as a pasta alternative. They taste alot better if you pan fry them (without any oil or anything) i don't know why but it makes the texture way better. I usually use them in stir fry with chicken and lots of veggies, so it isn't like I'm just eating them alone.
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Well, it's a zero calorie food, so I've lost weight eating them. I add just a little peanut sauce pan frying them, and it makes them taste much better.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I've eaten them and lost weight while doing so - just counted the calories as I would with anything else..
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am asking because I wonder if they actually stall weight loss, despite being zero calorie, like diet drinks, I wonder if they fool your body into NOT losing weight.
    I eat them. I eat them as part of a dish. Which then is NOT zero calorie.

I don't think they have any impact on weight loss (other than being zero calorie)
    I think comparing them to diet soda doesn't make sense.
  • ClaireElanB
    Options
    Thank you JeralynSh and SuffolkSally for answering the question I actually asked! How many packets do you think you ate a week?
  • whierd
    Options

Diet drinks do not fool your body into losing weight.

Also, how would I know that they are awful if I haven't "actually" eaten them?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

0 calorie foods and drinks do not trick your body into not losing weight. I'm curious as to why you would think that.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Pretty hard not to lose weight with a CALORIE DEFICIT.........just sayin.
  • ClaireElanB
    Options
    I was actually saying the opposite, that diet soda MAY make you gain weight despite being zero calorie - there have been studies in rats designed to test their theory that artificial ingredients alter the body’s ability to regulate calorie intake.
    There are foods that stall weight loss regardless of their calorie content.
  • Mouseanonymous802
    Options
    Just had some today, lolin at how long it took people to realise your point about the diet sodas :')
  • whierd
    Options
    I was actually saying the opposite, that diet soda MAY make you gain weight despite being zero calorie - there have been studies in rats designed to test their theory that artificial sweeteners alter the body’s ability to regulate calorie intake.
    There are foods that stall weight loss regardless of their calorie content.

Those studies just said that consumption of artificial sweeteners may cause you to crave real sugar. That's it. Not that they, in and of themselves, cause weight gain.