Shirataki/Miracle noodles - anyone lost weight eating them?

Options

Replies

• thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I eat them and quite like them. I don't eat them like pasta though -- I usually stir-fry them Asian style w/ sauce, veges, chicken breast. I have also lost weight while eating them b/c I ate at a deficit. I ate shirataki noodles probably 2-3 times a week... they are hard to digest though and gave me heart burn so I stopped.
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks Thisisamj!
    Haha Mouseanonymous me too :)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I was actually saying the opposite, that diet soda MAY make you gain weight despite being zero calorie - there have been studies in rats designed to test their theory that artificial ingredients alter the body’s ability to regulate calorie intake.
    There are foods that stall weight loss regardless of their calorie content.

Do you have links to the studies? Would love to read them.
  • I tried them and they smell awful taste like nothing and the gelatinous texture is the topper.. Like you bit into the tentacle of some stinky monster!!! LOL
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Just had some today, lolin at how long it took people to realise your point about the diet sodas :')

It took me 10 minutes from the time it was posted to read it and then respond. So....
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster - If you google Purdue University rat studies diet sodas there are a bunch oof articles on their studies. But non of it is conclusive.
    Purdue University researchers have shown that rats eating food sweetened with saccharin took in more calories and gained more weight than rats fed sugar-sweetened food.
    Also, a long-term study of nearly 3,700 residents of San Antonio, Texas, showed that those who averaged three or more artificially sweetened beverages a day were more likely to have gained weight over an eight-year period than those who didn’t drink artificially sweetened beverages.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster - If you google Purdue University rat studies diet sodas there are a bunch oof articles on their studies. But non of it is conclusive.
    Purdue University researchers have shown that rats eating food sweetened with saccharin took in more calories and gained more weight than rats fed sugar-sweetened food.
    Also, a long-term study of nearly 3,700 residents of San Antonio, Texas, showed that those who averaged three or more artificially sweetened beverages a day were more likely to have gained weight over an eight-year period than those who didn’t drink artificially sweetened beverages.

This means that the rats decided to eat more, dear. If you restrict them to the same amount of calories, then there would be no difference in their weight gain/loss.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You might have to go through the lot of success stories of people losing 30+, 100+ and even 200+ lbs while still drinking diet sodas or using artificial sweetners that they are doing it wrong. That a calorie deficit was NOT all that they needed. Bet they'll feel foolish.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    if they actually stall weight loss, despite being zero calorie, like diet drinks,
    Diet drinks don't do this don't believe every crackpot idea on the internet
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I'll use them once a week. Like others here, I have found that they are quite tasteless (like tofu, but slimy). They are best make with a strong flavored sauce. Peanut sauce is the first go to for these, but I have also done a Korean BBQ style sauce as well. For lighter sauces, I found the best way to prepare them is to rinse them first and then pan-fry them. Then transfer the noodles into the sauce directly and then them simmer for 15 minutes or so.

I would not eat them all the time, but they make a great alternative to pasta for those that don't want (or can't have) a lot of carbs.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    All that showed was that they were likely to put on weight not that the drinks caused it. Unless those 3700 residents were on exactly the same diet with exactly the same activity levels in a controlled environment it is impossible to take one factor and draw such a conclusion
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I personally think they are tasty, but only after rinsed, heated, and with something on them. The other gross thing is that you don't digest them, if you know what I mean!!
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you JeralynSh and SuffolkSally for answering the question I actually asked! How many packets do you think you ate a week?

When I wanted to lose fast in the beginning of my journey, I ate maybe 1 packet a week since it was a 2 serving dish. I'd cook the whole thing and then refrigerate the rest. They fill you up.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Jeez opinions are like...
    I'm asking people who actually do eat them what your experiences are please.
    I dont care if you dont like them and dont eat them.
    If you stick to your CALORIE DEFICIT, has anyone LOST weight eating them?
    I am asking because I wonder if they actually stall weight loss, despite being zero calorie, like diet drinks, I wonder if they fool your body into NOT losing weight.
    Would only like the opinions of people who actually eat them please.

Eating at a deficit is key. If you do that, you will lose weight. If you eat these within your calorie goal, you will lose weight. Even if you have them with diet pop.

Some of these are not "zero calories" or "zero carbs." Some have low/moderate amounts of each. That having been said, these are a traditional Japanese noodle, made from elephant yam (I can't make this stuff up lol), not an imitation food made in a lab so dieting Americans can have fake pasta.

They are also quite different from regular pasta. Your call as to whether you'll like them or not. I suggest that you rinse them very well and people who like them tend more toward either Asian style dishes (the best fit imo) or creamy ones (for the texture). They aren't really my favorite, but probably more of an acquired taste. If you expect them to be "pasta," you will be disappointed. Let them be what they are and decide from there.

I've heard of people baking them to get a little firmer texture, but I haven't tried it myself.

I'll use them once a week. Like others here, I have found that they are quite tasteless (like tofu, but slimy). They are best make with a strong flavored sauce. Peanut sauce is the first go to for these, but I have also done a Korean BBQ style sauce as well. For lighter sauces, I found the best way to prepare them is to rinse them first and then pan-fry them. Then transfer the noodles into the sauce directly and then them simmer for 15 minutes or so.

I would not eat them all the time, but they make a great alternative to pasta for those that don't want (or can't have) a lot of carbs.

I think I would go this route if I had them again.
  • Satiable
    Options
    these are a traditional Japanese noodle, made from elephant yam (I can't make this stuff up lol), not an imitation food made in a lab so dieting Americans can have fake pasta.

^THIS! Thank you, Mrs. Fowler. Shirataki is made from natural ingredients so there's no reason it would have any artificial effects on your body. Its ingredients are:
    - water
    - elephant yam, which acts much like gelatin when it turns the liquid water into solid jello
    - calcium hydroxide, which 'sets' the jello-like noodles (and is used in the preparation of many foods including hominy)

As long as you eat them with other foods instead of having a large bowlful of plain noodles for lunch, they shouldn't play tricks on your body. Eating them on their own just to make yourself feel full will, likely, have the same effect as skipping a meal as they contribute almost no calories or nutrients to your day. Plus that much fibre all at once would make for an interesting session in the bathroom later on. :blushing:
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I use them heaps and have lost weight. ( I also drank a lot of diet soft drink and it didnt impede my weightloss in the slightest nor did it make me crave real sugar.)

Any way.... Yes they smell gross when you open the packet , rinse them in hot water and the smell goes away.
    I use them as either a replacement to normal noodles or just a low calorie stomach filler. They make you feel really full and satisfied.
    I like the noodles better than the pasta.

They are great with chilli lime squid
    Just ginger, chillies, squid, garlic and lime juice,
    Let the squid sit in the lime juice for half hour before you cook it and it will go really tender
    Flash fry it all in the pan with the noodles. No need for any oils.

I think they are great filler to use and give you the opportunity to focus on quality calories to add with them.
  • mybonnieliesovertheocean
    Options
    I bought shirataki noodles blended with tofu at my local farmer's market. The tofu helps with the texture, but they also give them some calories. They aren't "diet" like diet cokes with artificial sugar though. It's low calorie because it's pretty much all yam fiber, which the body can't digest, therefore, if we can't break it down, it doesn't get absorbed into our system which means... no calories (from that portion of my yam/tofu noodles)! It's a great diet food for those of us who need noodles like me but just don't want the high carbs.
  • viliwa
    viliwa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If YOU EAT shirataki noodles or miracle noodles, have you actually lost weight while eating them and sticking to your daily calorie goal?
    I am asking because I wonder if they are fooling the body like diet soda does and you don't lose weight, even with the same calorie deficit.
    There have been studies in rats designed to test their theory that artificial ingredients alter the body’s ability to regulate calorie intake. There are foods that stall weight loss regardless of their calorie content.
    I'm not asking who doesn't like the noodles.
    Thanks.
    Rats... RATS
    There are no evidence that artificial ingredients would harm humans when used moderate. You will lose weight if you are in a deficit, no noodles will change that.
  • fangmouse
    Options
    I've tried them but personally it makes me gain weight because after I eat them, I have this weird sensation in my tummy like I feel hungry when I'm actually full(this may sound weird but it really happens to me lol) so I feel like eating even more food when I've eaten the noodles. I think I'm better off eating normal noodles.

I don't know. I almost choked on them because they are so difficult to chew and I almost swallowed an entire hunk of noodles when eating. My bad for not cutting them up before eating.
  • Kmilllsa
    Options
    Hi wow no one is answering you properly... yes i have eaten them, yes you lose weight with them. They aren't a chemical fake like diet soda, its like shredding carrot and eating it as a pasta alternative and works the same.
    They are featured in the Michelle Bridges diet which is where i first learnt of them.
    i think though that they are still a processed food, so not quite as good as say shredding carrot. but if you, say, want to eat a vietamese pho or low cal laksa the angel hair ones are good as they are of a similar texture.

you gotta fake it to make it... so
    puree cauliflower instead of mash potato
    slim pasta instead of rice noodles (and pasta at a pinch)

one tip though from a person who has lost 40kg if you go on a diet that requires say Low Carb.. it works, but only until you find substitutes for carbs like atkin products etc. if you want to know why let me know.

the same would go for this.. you shouldn't use it so you can enjoy creamy pasta.. you will fail. because your not training your body to simply eat better food...
    and remember the slim pasta has less calories so only temporarily fills you up at the meal (similar to a glass or water) later you will be hungry.. but sometimes it removes the mental block and tells your brain you've had dinner and your full and finished.. which might be half the battle, depending on your issues with food.