All calories are not the same

Options

Replies

• aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

cancer or "mortality" from all causes?

why would you ask me rather than read the link that was posted?

anywho, here is what the study that you can't read says:

"The results of our analysis support a moderate positive association between processed meat consumption and mortality, in particular due to cardiovascular diseases, but also to cancer."

I'm honestly starting to question whether you read it given the discussion.

I'm not too worried about your perception of me based on what you've read on here
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

cancer or "mortality" from all causes?

why would you ask me rather than read the link that was posted?

anywho, here is what the study that you can't read says:

"The results of our analysis support a moderate positive association between processed meat consumption and mortality, in particular due to cardiovascular diseases, but also to cancer."

I'm honestly starting to question whether you read it given the discussion.

your reading comprehension doesn't exactly seem to be stellar, so I'm not too worried about your perception of me based on what you've read on here

You seem frustrated and appear to be lashing out. Is it the internet or a problems at home?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    actually no, you're thinking that I define whole food for us but I don't.

nutritionists and dietiticians do that

if you consider this an argument rather than a discussion, then I'll no longer address you lol

But, critical thinking requires that at times you look at arbitrary definitions and see that they are, in fact, arbitrary.

Here is a for instance, taking your own examples of chicken and wheat:

To process wheat:

Raise wheat, or find wild source
    Take seeds, you can shake them free of the stalks, wheat does grow wild.
    Use grinding stones (these were highly prized and passed down in families) to crush seeds and make powder/flour
    Mix with water and perhaps add in a fat (animal fat was used prior to modern oils)
    Make into flat pancake shape, cook on a flat heated stone on a fire if you don't have access to modern skillets.
    Eat and enjoy.

To process chicken:

Raise chicken
    Kill chicken by either ringing its neck or cutting its artery
    Boil chicken for a few minutes to loosen feathers from skin, you can remove feathers without boiling first, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    Pluck feathers, this is arduous at times.
    Cut open cavity at base and remove internal organs, do it carefully.
    Prepare chicken by boiling, baking, frying.
    Eat and enjoy.

I have processed chickens, I have also ground wheat. I fail to see how it's more processed.

Here is another example, this one pertains to my local area and there is evidence that it was done more than 10,000 years ago here:

Burn the forest regularly to provide ideal growing environment.
    Propagate and tend a field of Camas flowers, they do not grow where people don't place them, their seeds aren't carried by any animals.
    Once a year, gather tribal members, and using a sharpened stick with a handle securely attached, dig up the Camas bulbs.
    They will cause great stomach upset if eaten in this state.
    Dig a VERY large pit and coat with stones, let a fire burn in it for days, until stones are very hot.
    Place layer upon layer of bulbs in the pit and cover with more stones.
    Let cook for a couple of days.
    Remove bulbs, they can be eaten now if desired.
    To prepare for storage dry out bulbs
    They can be ground into powder, flattened stones were prized for this purpose and coveted.
    Once ground into powder, use your family/clan's favorite recipe and make into cakes.
    Take cakes to neighboring communities and trade for treasure: like valuable beads, obsidian for knives, dried salmon (though the tribes of my area were salmon fishers as well as camas growers).

Oh, wait, ^^^^^^ looks like it's pretty processed. Guess we better go tell the local Kalapuya tribes that their ancestors from 10,000 years ago were doing it wrong. Woopsies.

like I've said many times, plant foods are only considered whole if you can pick them and eat them. I didn't make this up myself, its the definition.

You are not thinking critically, you are arguing semantics.

Here, I can do it, too:

Definition of critical thinking -
    "Critical thinking is a way of deciding whether a claim is always true, sometimes true, partly true, or false."

I'm too lazy to find it and quote it, but didn't you just say a few pages ago that you will only be arguing (woops, sorry, "discussing") with people who are critical thinkers? By that definition, you may not be able to have a discussion with yourself. Well, in addition to the fact that a full on back and forth with yourself is generally considered weird and A Really Bad Sign.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Can you point us to where the definition of whole foods for plants is "ability to be picked and eaten?" I haven't been able to find it but want to understand the reasoning better.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

So, if one accepts this definition of "whole foods" (which is fine as this was not meant to be a semantic argument), how exactly does choosing whole over processed food affect the nutritional qualities of food?

Put another way, this or that food is "whole" or "processed," but so what?

I have seen no scientific evidence to support the idea that a "whole" food diet is better than one of moderation.

I have anecdotal evidence that eating processed vs. whole foods does not matter. I'm stronger, happier, and healthier eating pizza and ice cream than I ever was only eating 'clean' because Jillian Michaels told me to (smh at myself).

If the weight of evidence shifts to supporting a whole food diet, so will I, because science is rad.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    A pound of macros weighs more than a pound of calories!

p1010875.jpg
  • aliciap412
    Options

So, if one accepts this definition of "whole foods" (which is fine as this was not meant to be a semantic argument), how exactly does choosing whole over processed food affect the nutritional qualities of food?

I have seen no scientific evidence to support the idea that a "whole" food diet is better than one of moderation.

I have anecdotal evidence that eating processed vs. whole foods does not matter. I'm stronger, happier, and healthier eating pizza and ice cream than I ever was only eating 'clean' because Jillian Michaels told me to (smh at myself).

If the weight of evidence shifts to supporting a whole food diet, so will I, because science is rad.

thank you for actually sharing your view on this! I've been trying to shift the focus to this and behold! a wild critical thinker appears
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

:heart: :heart: :heart: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    It's true.
    Some calories taste better.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Can't we all just get along?
    chicken-spinach-pita-pizza.jpg
  • BeachIron
    Options

^ This I agree with. My own experience supports your anecdotal evidence.

But I was having so much fun being "schooled" on Nutrition 101 and the definition of "whole foods" . . . but I still haven't received any answers . . .
  • aliciap412
    Options

But I was having so much fun being "schooled" on Nutrition 101 and the definition of "whole foods" . . . but I still haven't received any answers . . .

aww you mad
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

aww you mad

My suspicion would be more frustrated with going in circles trying to reason, while the other side is spouting semantic nonsense. But, that's just my guess :flowerforyou:
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    FFS a calorie is a calorie, end of story! Start a thread with a more relevant title like 'nutrient dense food vs low nutrient food' or just be honest and call it 'I think my diet and me are better than you so there!'

This pic is for all the morons on here...
    yTIaAQw.jpg
  • BeachIron
    Options

aww you mad

Why would I be mad?
  • aliciap412
    Options

My suspicion would be more frustrated with going in circles trying to reason, while the other side is spouting semantic nonsense. But, that's just my guess :flowerforyou:

I expected those who read this thread and my comments would have realized that I was suggesting "whole foods have more nutritional value than processed" was the OP's intention with this thread. and I wanted to hear people's opinions on that.

I wasn't worried about semantics and hadn't even shared my take on it. I would have been pleased to see answers that addressed those, but instead I got attacked.

nbd, moving on
  • heatherdl2013
    Options
    OP... I think you mean the calories are the same, but the vitamins and nutrients are different.

agreed^
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Alicia, I don't want my question to get missed in all the debates. Can you give me a link? I did do a search but couldn't find it.
  • aliciap412
    Options
    Alicia, I don't want my question to get missed in all the debates. Can you give me a link? I did do a search but couldn't find it.

I definitely missed your question, what was it?
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Can you point us to where the definition of whole foods for plants is "ability to be picked and eaten?" I haven't been able to find it but want to understand the reasoning better.