All calories are not the same

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Some keep referring to materials not being the same as other materials, but of the same length. If we are talking UNITS OF MEASUREMENT, then it's correct. Just the same as if I put a LITER of oil, gas, windshield wiper fluid, and anti freeze in a car (while each has a different function for the vehicle) it's still a LITER of each. So are we disputing the UNIT OF MEASUREMENT? Or the SOURCE of the calorie? Because if we are speaking of the source, then the title should be changed to "All SOURCES of calories are not the same".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    This is an argument I have quite often with people.
    All calories are not the same. 250 calories from a slice of pizza is not the same as 250 calories from a meal consisting of grilled chicken breast, a side of quinoa and fresh raw spinach.

If you agree or disagree, please post in the in the comment section below

yes & no.
    A calorie is a unit of measurement. So yes, 250 calories of pizza is the same as a 250 calorie dish of chicken & quinoa.

However, comparably, both meals affect me very differently. Shrug.

It's just a figure of speech & not to be taken literally. And yessss. This IS a tired argument :ohwell: however, there are plenty of new people I suppose who haven't made the connection yet &, well.....it's a process :wink:
  • hookilau
    Options
    Calories are calories are calories. How you choose to use those calories is the ONLY difference.

:laugh: Wellllll, if I could choose to make my body treat starchy carbs like non starchy carbs, I'd be one HAPPY lady :blushing:
    It's just how your body uses the nutrients you put into it. :wink:

Note that I define nutrients as anything edible :drinker:

edited for typos
  • hookilau
    Options
    nevermiind:blushing:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    All calories are not the same. 250 calories from a slice of pizza is not the same as 250 calories from a meal consisting of grilled chicken breast, a side of quinoa and fresh raw spinach.

Always love a FRESH NEW topic of discussion

Thread = 10/10

Not serious
  • hookilau
    Options

Always love a FRESH NEW topic of discussion

Thread = 10/10

Not serious

joan-snickers.gif?w=630