Gaining muscle while losing weight

Options
How do you measure weight lost when you're putting on muscle? I put on muscle incredibly easy, specifically in my lower body. However I'm overweight and need to lose at least 20lbs, but the scale isn't really shifting.
I've lost 5.5 inches off my body in the past week though.
So should I ignore the scale and just measure? Bit confused here.

Replies

• MammaMouse
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I definitely vote for ditching the scale and going by measurements and how clothes fit.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Just "ignore the scale and just measure" - you said it! If you need another, more definate number, get some calipers and track your body fat %.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    to measure muscle vs. fat you buy a pair of body fat calipers and ignore the scale.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I definitely vote for ditching the scale and going by measurements and how clothes fit.

This ^^ Weight loss is great but the real goal is to get smaller, right?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How do you measure weight lost when you're putting on muscle?
    By having body fat tested

I put on muscle incredibly easy, specifically in my lower body.
    Granted, "easy" is relative, but I'm not sure anyone builds new muscle tissue "easily".

Isn't that what really matters?

So should I ignore the scale and just measure?
    If you can't separate yourself from the number on the scale, then yes. If you can, then I'd keep it just as another data source, but let measurements be your primary guide.

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    How do you measure weight lost when you're putting on muscle? I put on muscle incredibly easy, specifically in my lower body.

You're probably not putting on muscle.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options

This ^^ Weight loss is great but the real goal is to get smaller, right?
    True! I think I'm just affected by all the people on here losing masses of pounds, so I just want to fit in lol. :laugh: But you're right, I'll just stick to the measurements.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    How do you measure weight lost when you're putting on muscle? I put on muscle incredibly easy, specifically in my lower body.

It's hard and creates definition. It's either muscle or hardened jello.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    How do you measure weight lost when you're putting on muscle? I put on muscle incredibly easy, specifically in my lower body. However I'm overweight and need to lose at least 20lbs, but the scale isn't really shifting.
    So should I ignore the scale and just measure? Bit confused here.

I don't think that in general muscle gain is possible while losing weight. It is either or. Weight is lost when we eat at a deficit and muscle gain needs extra calories to happen and lifting in the ideal case. So I don't see how this is possible, except maybe for a tiny amount when very obese peole start to do let's say heavy lifting. But in general I think that is one of those myth that float around in the fitness world that is backed up by nothing.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

It's likely swollen muscle, not new muscle tissue.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

giggity
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options

giggity
    Didn't realise my chunkuh legs were going to be scrutinised so :sad: I've been at it for three months, so I choose to believe my own misinformed fantasies over all your probable facts and theories. That's how we stay in the thug life.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for three months, so I choose to believe my own misinformed fantasies over all your probable facts and theories. That's how we stay in the thug life.

I have no opinion on your "chunkuh" quads, but your attitude definitely rocks! :)
  • trogalicious
    Options
    so how are you gaining this muscle so easily? What's your routine?
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Extended repetitions of awesome over epic periods of time.
    :drinker:
  • trogalicious
    Options

I may be wrong in my assumption. That builds muscle.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

This^^^

You probably had some noob gains, but what you're seeing is the swell from water retention. Just because it's hard and has definition, doesn't mean it's new muscle. You're maintaining the mass you had before while losing the fat over top of it, making the muscle easier to see (definition).

When you do this and maintain muscle mass, the weight you are losing is mostly fat while retaining water for muscle repair. That's why the scale doesn't move, but the inches are coming off.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options

This^^^

You probably had some noob gains, but what you're seeing is the swell from water retention. Just because it's hard and has definition, doesn't mean it's new muscle. You're maintaining the mass you had before while losing the fat over top of it, making the muscle easier to see (definition).

When you do this and maintain muscle mass, the weight you are losing is mostly fat while retaining water for muscle repair. That's why the scale doesn't move, but the inches are coming off.
    Oh my God, is it Shatter Your Dreams With The Truth Day already?
    I
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Apparently so?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I may be wrong in my assumption. That builds muscle.

Humor and awesome makes you swole. Qft.

Edit: rock on, lumpy. :drinker: