Need help! Fix my meatloaf!

Options
jenillawafer
jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
I'm no expert of thy loaf.. so, tell me your sercrets!
The flavor combo is delicious, however, it's so freakin' dry.
What am I doing wrong? :( Too many breadcrumbs perhaps? Did I smoosh it too much?
I'm not interested in a new loaf recipe, just an improved version of this one.
M'kay, so here goes:

8 oz ground turkey (Yes, I said it. Sue me!)
1 large egg
1/4 tsp basil, oregano, thyme
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 tbsp onion flakes
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp milk ( dunno' where this came from.. think I paired it from another recipe, hah!)
1/8 cup diced green bell pepper
'bout a half ounce of sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
1/4 cup Italian style bread crumbs
1 oz feta cheese

Mixed wet to dry ingredients.
Put it in a glass baking dish.
Topped with 1/4 cup of pasta sauce n' baked that bad boy.

Maybe I cooked it too long? I sort of just eyeballed the done-ness, 'cus I don't own a thermometer.
Should I of added tomato paste instead of milk? I'm at a loss here. :laugh:

Replies

• Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Did u have it covered or uncovered when you baked it?
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Not enough fat in the ground turkey (or sometimes I use chicken). Here's what I put in mine:

2lbs ground turkey/chicken
    1/3 Cup Quick Oats
    2 Carrots (food processor)
    1Onion (food processor)
    1 egg (or 1 serving egg beaters)
    3 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
    2 Tbsp Milk
    Salt
    Pepper

The carrots and onion (I "food process" them almost to a pulp) help keep it moist. (Though I do miss the old days when I'd use, among other things, ground chuck, pork sausage, cornbread stuffing, etc. in my meatloaf)

Good luck!:drinker:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I always mix eggs, A-1 steak sauce, chopped green bell peppers, onions, minced garlic and dry packet of hidden valley ranch powder in with the meat. Then I spread tomato sauce on top before I bake it. So yummy!
  • coffee4me57
    Options
    I would beat the egg and add 1/4 cup of milk to it and beat again. Then add the bread crumbs to this mixture and stir to combine. Then add this to the other ingredients. Bake covered except for the last 15 minutes.
    Hope this helps! Love me a good meatloaf sandwich!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    If it's ground turkey breast that'll cause it to be drier. I use half breast and half 93% when I make mine and use oatmeal vs bread crumbs and use fresh veggies not dried.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    you need butter or oil, otherwise its too DRY - try 1 more egg and 1 TBSP olive oil or butter ORRRRR pumpkin zuchini or mushrooms, you need moisture!!!
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I would increase the milk -- I use a 1 to 1 ratio of milk and breadcrumbs. I had never heard of putting milk in meatloaf either, but my mother in law was on to something good! (for once!) I also use chopped onion, finely chopped celery, and shredded carrots in it to add to the nutrients, and also your dried onions are possibly drying it out also as they reconstitute. Just a thought. I made meatloaf tonight...it was terrific!
  • Denise_Valentine
    Denise_Valentine Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I always put a thin layer of ketchup or BBQ sauce on the top of mine, keeps it from drying out
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I think more milk. I just tried Emeril's Most Kicked-up Meatloaf Ever, 2lbs meat, 2 eggs and 1/2 cup heavy cream.

So I about 1/4cup milk for 8oz. Also, remember ground turkey is lean (that's why you use it, right?), so you need to additional moisture to make up for the decrease in grease/fat.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/emerils-most-kicked-up-meatloaf-ever-recipe/index.html
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Try adding another egg white and 1/2 cup more of milk.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Turkey is very lean. The meatloaf needs more fat if you want it to be moist.
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use more egg....and make sure you cover it. Oh - and if I may say...PLEASE don't add ketchup. Yuck.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that turkey is drier than ground beef, so you may need to add more liquid. I use 1/4-1/2 c milk (and my grandma used more "when the meat wasn't so watery") and tomato sauce (usually 1/2-1 full can). Those may be enough to make a difference between dry and not.

Your recipe sounds absolutely delicious by the way. I'm going to have to try those extra veggies in mine some time.
  • advocatemommio
    advocatemommio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think it's the onion flakes. Try putting them in water about 15 minutes before making the meatloaf. The turkey is lean, and when you add the 'dry' flakes, they suck the small amount of moisture out. If you 'rehydrate' the onions, with about 1/4 cup of water, let the onions 'plump' up, and then add all your other stuff, you should be golden!
  • Apicius
    Apicius Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    soak the breadcrumbs and onion in the milk until squishy, then mix in. May need more milk.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Oh - and if I may say...PLEASE don't add ketchup. Yuck.

I agree, lol. But then everybody has their 'druthers. :laugh:
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Okay, this sounds weird, but it works. Before you cook it, put an ice cube in the centre of the meat. Voila, moist meat loaf. I got this trick from the "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken.
  • jenillawafer
    Options
    Thank you for all of the suggestions! Never heard of the ice cube trick!
  • jenillawafer
    Options
    Did u have it covered or uncovered when you baked it?

I left it uncovered. Was this a mistake?
  • jenillawafer
    Options
    I think it's the onion flakes. Try putting them in water about 15 minutes before making the meatloaf. The turkey is lean, and when you add the 'dry' flakes, they suck the small amount of moisture out. If you 'rehydrate' the onions, with about 1/4 cup of water, let the onions 'plump' up, and then add all your other stuff, you should be golden!

You're probably right. I'll be sure to hydrate them next time - that was probably my biggest mistake. Oh, and cooking it uncovered. Silly me!