Need help! Fix my meatloaf!

Options

Replies

• CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    You can try it with adding a little less of the breadcrumbs at first, and add some back if it feels too wet. It should be wetter than a hamburger before you put it in your loaf pan. Adding tomato paste is also my personal preference. It's also possible that your meat was too lean and/or your oven was a little too hot. Mmm, now I want meatloaf :smile:
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    If I use leaner meat, I also add an extra portion of finely chopped veggies including fresh onion, minced garlic, and carrot (then whatever else I want), an extra egg, Worcestershire sauce, and can of tomato sauce. I bake it covered and then pour off most of the extra juice in the pan (so the sides aren't covered but the bottom of the pan is) and then uncover it for the last 20-30 minutes until the color is nice.
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I remember an episode of Anerica's Test Kitchen which said the secret is to soak the bread in the milk before mixing it in w the Meat. They called this a panade. I believe they would use cubed bread instead of the bread crumbs in yours, and a bit more milk.
  • Booschmoop
    Booschmoop Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I always bake the meatloaf covered and uncover it for the last 15 minutes or so to brown the top a bit. At this point you can put something on top to add some moisture and flavor. There are lots of options. I make a turkey and quinoa meatloaf that calls for spreading a mixture of brown sugar, Worcestershire and a little water on top after it's uncovered. If you like A1 or some other sauce you can use that.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a bit more milk for sure but also try not to over-massage the mixture.

I've noticed when others meatloaf ends up dry, it's because they were massaging the hell out of the meat (yeah I know, giggity :P)
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    when I make a meatloaf for me a diet version with lean turkey or beef the second ingredient is zucchini- grated. Does little for the taste but makes it so moist and adds no calories to the recipe. Try it, it works.
  • ItsNever2L8
    ItsNever2L8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Agree with crose, I always add at least a cup of grated zucchini, gets me my veggies and adds lots of moisture!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I just made this tonight.

Ground beef, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup(ish) bread crumbs, garlic salt, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, parsley. Stuff shredded mozzarella in a well down the middle. 350 for an hour.

We do ours Sicilian style.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a bit more milk for sure but also try not to over-massage the mixture.

I've noticed when others meatloaf ends up dry, it's because they were massaging the hell out of the meat (yeah I know, giggity :P)

I may have gotten a tad bit carried away. ;-D
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    XxAngry_Pixi Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Add another 1-2 eggs :)
  • jenillawafer
    Options
    Next time I'll be sure to follow these suggestions. I still have a slab leftover, so I'll probably drown it in marinara for din din tomorrow. :blushing:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Next time I'll be sure to follow these suggestions. I still have a slab leftover, so I'll probably drown it in marinara for din din tomorrow. :blushing:

You could crumble it up and mix it with spaghetti sauce and have spaghetti...or even make a goulash.
  • jenillawafer
    Options

You could crumble it up and mix it with spaghetti sauce and have spaghetti...or even make a goulash.

Brilliant, you are! I like the spaghetti idea. OMNOMNOMNOM.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Wow, compared to yours my loaf is fattening!!!
    I use 80/20%- lean/fat ground beef. Add a whole chopped onion, salt, pepper, a little tyme. Make a ketchup worchestersire sauce sweetened with sucralose. ( 1 tbsp worchestershire.) I mix just a little on to the meat, let it cook maybe 25-30 min, drain the fat, then add the sauce over it and put it in for another 1/2 hr - 45 min, pending your cooking temp. I usually put it in at 350.
  • sundog10
    sundog10 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    bump; i want meatloaf for dinner
  • Grace4DebraAnn
    Grace4DebraAnn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I use half turkey burger and half turkey Italian sausage. I switch out sometimes I use oatmeal instead of bread crumbs. I used water, I use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup.. I use a couple of eggs as well. I do not put the sauce on the top till the last 20 minutes. Give that a try. Sounds good, might need to make it soon. Haven't had it for a while.
  • addiec1
    addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree on the zucchini suggestion. It makes it a lot moister and doesn't change the taste.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My meatloaf is so simple.

Its 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, 1/4 onion, 2 eggs and 1lb of 90% lean meat. About 20 min before done I top with ketchup ( was going to lie here and say something not ketchup but it's totally ketchup lol ) and it's never dry.

I've never had to add butter or oil or anything, god knows why.
  • chrisweezorak
    chrisweezorak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with adding more fat. Try using some Coconut oil.
  • tallgrl212
    Options
    Not enough fat in the ground turkey (or sometimes I use chicken). Here's what I put in mine:

2lbs ground turkey/chicken
    1/3 Cup Quick Oats
    2 Carrots (food processor)
    1Onion (food processor)
    1 egg (or 1 serving egg beaters)
    3 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
    2 Tbsp Milk
    Salt
    Pepper

The carrots and onion (I "food process" them almost to a pulp) help keep it moist. (Though I do miss the old days when I'd use, among other things, ground chuck, pork sausage, cornbread stuffing, etc. in my meatloaf)

Good luck!:drinker:

Yeah, turkey can be a very dry meat because it's low in fat. Adding veggies can up the moisture, also try adding a bit of extra virgin olive oil