WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Laura - I don't know if you have any of these stores near you, but Sears has a petite dept, so does Kohl's (it's pretty small), even TJ Maxx, the Ross by me has a small dept. Some Dress Barns have a petite dept, not the one by me but one about an hours drive from me does. I understand that Penney's will be carrying more of the Liz Clairborn line of clothes, some of those things are nice. The TJ Maxx by me used to have a separate petite dept, but the store moved to a new location and now the petites are interspersed with the misses sizes. That's a real pain, you find something you like and then "oops, not a petite". I don't shop there much anymore. The SteinMart has a SMALL dept, not sure if you have them by you or not.

mimi - good shopping at TJ Maxx! I love to go shopping, even if it's just window shopping.

A hearty welcome to Mags, Sharon and Roberta

barbiecat - I'm surprised how much sodiium is in veggie burgers. Like they say...live and learn....and die a fool! That's why I was wondering if there was a brand that was lower in sodium or perhaps someone has a recipe (with the nutritionals) for making them and then freezing them. I'm thinking that I will probably have a few in the freezer just for emergencies.

About a mister: here's a question for anyone who owns one of those Misto misters. What does it mean when the oil is coming out in a stream, not a spray? Does that mean that you have too much pressure?

mimi - thanks too for the reminder why it's so necessary to exercise.

chicklet - the stores (Sears, etc) that I go to have a petite department, separate from the misses. It's unfortunately usually very small....:( That is, unless I go to Talbott's Petite, but even when their clothing is on sale, it's waaayyy too expensive (to me, anyway)

Another rant:
    Went to a Y board meeting today. I am totally against their newest proposal. They have a building for the Teen Center. First, they want to change the name and just take out the word "teen". That I don't have a problem with. However, they are considering if we should be able to rent out this center and allow people to bring their own alcohol. To me, that's not at all in keeping with the Y's ideals. There are signs up that say "we are a tobacco and drug free zone". So what kind of message is this sending "oh, alcohol is OK since we're not providing it". Really, what's the difference? Then will tobacco be OK as long as you bring your own? Same with drugs. Legally, we won't be liabel if someone leaves intoxicated and kills someone since we won't be serving them, but can you imagine the PR? You KNOW it'll be in the paper, and to be even remotely associated with such an incident? I think they're just seeing dollar signs but there are unanticipated consequences, and I for one believe we're opening ourselves up to bad PR. If they go ahead with this, wouldn't surprise me one bit if some of the people pulled their membership. Remember this is the bible belt, so alcohol is even less tolerated. A while ago in trying to cut costs, they were going to stop having soap, but evidentally according to the health dept. they're required to. But members complained! One time I was exercising in just a sports bra and shorts, I was told that I needed to cover up. If people complain about this and about the loss of soap, can you imagine what it would be like if they suddenly allowed alcohol?????

Jeannie - I have these downloadable workouts (cardiocoach.com) that I use for the spinning bike. Really, it's for treadmills, etc. He may not say things like "now put your hands in first position" but he does say things like "now we're climbing the hill". Depending on the time and if you can use the bike when a class isn't in session, that may work for you, you can do it before the class starts so that you don't have to leave early (and you haven't had a chance to stretch or cool down)

Since Bryan needed my car to get to work, I couldn't stay for the spinning class but did a Leslie Sansone 5 mile fat burn workout at home. I'm surprised how fast that DVD goes by. Seems you just start and you're already on mile 3 Tomorrow, tho, I'm going to another branch of the Y for the deep water class. Just maybe....this will help spur Vince on to getting my pool in. (I hope, I hope)

I've been listening to an audiobook "The End of Overeating" whenever I do the treadmill or elliptical. It's quite interesting. Honestly, I'll probably listen to the book a few times since on the iPod you can't go back and listen to something that you missed.

annitin - perhaps you can ask your son a question for me. How do I word this? When I look at myself in the mirror, my right side goes in (under the ribs) but the left side doesn't. It's as if there was fat on the left side. I don't feel any kind of tumor or anything. What am I doing wrong?

I, too, really enjoy reading everyone's goings on, their lives. This is one of the highlights of my day. I've also learned a thing or two (like how important veggies are)

Peggy - your hints are very good. One thing that I have a problem with is leaving something on my plate. I think this stems from the "empty plate" mentality growning up. What I do many times is have less (no roll or bread, veggies instead of the fries <and you get a lot less veggies>). Somehow, I just can't bring myself to leave food on my plate. But I don't have a problem requesting less food.

SuzyQ - I hear ya about hubby complaining about his waffles. I prefer to have the Fiber One, but Vince wants the regular ones (I was amazed how much oil you have to put in them!). What I do now is I make waffles one time the mix he likes but I freeze one for him, the next time the mix I like and he has his frozen one, I freeze one for me, so the following time I make his mix and freeze one and so on.....

McMadame - I try to have cabs and protein with each meal. Wish MFP would show you a pie chart (or even graph) of the cabs/fat/protein ratio that you had that day.

Say Amanda....would you send that Aussie over to NC????

You know, this afternoon I had some greek yogurt for lunch at around 1. Here it is, almost 6 and honestly, I'm not hungry. Yup, protein helps. But I also like my veggies

Well, tonight I went to play bunco with the Newcomers. The one and only time I played it, I thought it was a bit on the boring side. Then again, the people I was playing with were boring. So I thought I'd give it another try. It was fun. I brought fruit with me and the pissaladiere. The pissaladiere went completely, and I'm honestly surprised at how much of the fruit went. Honestly, I would consider hosting it at my house, but not for at least a few months. I just find it a bit surprising that the lady who hosted it made a dessert and I really had no desire for it. I only had a little, but what I really should have done was just declined it totally. I had mostly fruits, 2 pita chips, and halves of three of these appetizers. Oh, and some tomatoes. To drink I just had water. I thought I did pretty good. Yet, when I got home (surprisingly) couldn't wait to have a bit of corn on the cob. Interesting.....my taste buds seem to have changed somewhat.

Guess it's almost time for beddybye. So take care all. Have a great rest of the evening.

Michele
  • Angusowner
    Options
    Hi, all! Welcome Mags, Debbi, Sharon, Roberta (& all others whom I may have forgotten to mention!) I get so much from these inspirational women! I've just started the weight-loss journey and learn so much from this board!!:flowerforyou:

Exercise- and strengthening (Thanks, Mimi for your post :smile: ), or rather lack of, are the biggest roadblock to successful wieght loss. I really have to keep pushing myself. I haven't started strength training, but will be now that I know how important it is. Didn't exercise yesterday - haven't yet today, but will before bed. I have to get to bed early tonight since I go back to work tomorrow, and I find exercise helps me to mentally relax so that my mind is not going a mile a minute.:yawn:

I had a fabulous day today, however - DH & DS took off work and we took DGD to an children's arts pavilion. She had so much fun - and so did we. It was the perfect way to end my summer break.:happy:

Just a couple of comments tonight:
    Peggy: I have started clipping your lessons and have started a file. I really get alot out of that info.:drinker:

MacMadame: My doctor told me to increase my protein in the morning. Your info about protein really made a lot of sense - I will be working on that, too!:drinker:

Barb: Thanks for the grilling link - my grill master husband is going to love that!:love: (Can't get the image of the purple michelin wo-man dancing out of my head - HELP:noway: )

Michele: Someone told me that some companies were going to stop canning sardines due to the lack of market. We have to stop them! I like them, too:frown: I am a shorty and find petites at J.C. Penney, but also order from Eddie Bauer or L.L. Bean who have petites in most of their clothing.

Chiclet: When I first read your post, I thought you said that you wanted the hitman to torture your ex! :laugh: Maybe not such a bad idea, at least in your dreams!!:wink:

Going to give DGD a few more hugs!:heart:
    Take care, all,
    Bec
  • Angusowner
    Options
    Michele -I read your post after I posted and had to comment!

I am SO with you about the alcohol being brought into the Y. What are they thinking??? I hope they understand the possible consequences of that decision!:noway:

Think I will do a Leslie Sansone right now - LOVE HER!!!
    Bec
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Tuesday, no toads at the dog park this morning but there were a dozen dogs including two beautiful playful parti poodles

Viv, my “addiction” was bread and I missed it terribly when I first started this journey, but the longer I go without it the less I even think about it……recently I had a lovely sandwich on multi grain bread on a special occasion and I began thinking about when we could go back…..I stay out of the bakery section in the market because I’d like to buy some of the bread and eat the whole loaf (probably with butter)

Chiclet,when DH was going to physical therapy for a calf injury, he would come home every time and say that the physical therapist should be arrested for causing him so much pain, but as a result of the therapy, he now walks well and can walk 18 holes of golf so the pain is worth it……I hope your mom can figure that out and I hope the exercises you’re doing will help your knee so you can walk more without pain…..I do exercises with three pound dumbbells while I read the posts and with all the long posts, that’s a long time for exercise. About where to find larger sizes, recently WalMart in my town increased their stock and display of plus sizes and Fashion Bug stopped selling smaller sizes and added more plus sizes….also about your ex, have you tried saying the Serenity Prayer when you think of him or see him----cheaper, easier, and legal….also living well is the best revenge…keep on the weight loss path and show him that you can succeed without him

Roberta, glad to meet you……something that really helped me on MFP was to become part of a thread and post every day and make friends with the other women……they became my support group and my inspiration……join up with us and you’ll never be alone again…with members from the west coast of North America to the UK, there’s someone awake and posting almost all the time

Jeannie, give some thought to making your food diary public or at least viewable by your friends…..I think a lot of us would like to see what you’re eating on your 1200 calorie DASH diet….congrats on your new low weight.

Debbi, you can make up your own entries in the cardio exercises……I figure about 2 calories a minute for my various strength training stuff (I weigh 110 so if you weigh more, you might make it 2.5 or 3 calories a minute) then you can enter them every day when you do them. Let me know if you need more details about how to do that.

Annitin, having a personal trainer sounds heavenly and grueling……..keep on keeping on and eating healthy and the weight will come off.

Rebel, we’ve had the same heat wave so I’ve been walking at the dog park in the morning because of the beastly heat later…it seems to be cooler here today.

Laura, I don’t think I’ve done anything consistently for 30 days but I do well with five or six days a week so by that standard, you’ve done really well…..keep it up

Peggy, if you and DF have been together for five years I guess you have some sense that it is working…..thanks for this week’s lesson….our dinner tonight was a perfect example of low calorie food with a lot of bulk----Hebrew National Polish sausage with roasted tomatoes, onions, bell pepper and stir fried bok choy

MacMadame, you’re right on about drinking water with meals…….the competitors in the July 4th hot dog eating contest drink water with their hot dogs so they can eat more.

Linda, I’m so glad the wedding turned out great.

Barb, it looks like our heat wave is over….i wore a long sleeved shirt today.

Birdie, congrats on sending all the food home

We’ve had a busy day but the dogs got to the dog park and I got some of the preparation done for our trip (we leave Saturday)
    :drinker: :drinker: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: thank you to all of you for adding so much to my life.
  • Debhow
    Debhow Posts: 17 Member
    Options

You know, this afternoon I had some greek yogurt for lunch at around 1. Here it is, almost 6 and honestly, I'm not hungry. Yup, protein helps. But I also like my veggies

Michele

I've never had that. Is the taste much different from the "regular" yogurt?
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning all,

Exercise is out of the way and I'm happy about that!

I'm going to go back and read all the posts a little later, right now off to the shower (My husband will appreciate that).

Debbi, The only thing that makes it greek yogurt is that is has less liquid in it. That why it is a little more expensive; it takes more milk to make the same amount of regular. I like it because if you buy the sweetened variety it usually has less sugar too. Buy the plain and put your own sweetener in it. I like a little honey.

Cindy
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello my lovely friends.

Before I forget - Michele, no I can't spare my Aussie at present - I'm hoping he'll clean the rest of the house before he goes home!! Also, absolutely no way for the Y and alcohol. That way madness lies.

The water with food topic.... before my surgery in February, I used to drink constantly whilst eating. Now I don't and I stay fuller for much, much longer. Very good idea to separate the two.

I had my therapy appointment this morning. My therapist is brilliant. I feel so much better after talking with her today. It really helps me with my perspective. After that I went to visit mum-in-law. She is quite convinced that she has moved. I've tried to gently tell her that it is the same room that she has always been in since she moved into the nursing home over a year ago, but she sees things very differently. We have found that the best thing to do, is not press it, otherwise she gets agitated. Once I left there, I visited my dad. He's a little happier than yesterday and was busy watching a TV programme and made it quite clear that he didn't want to be interrupted! I cleared up a little for him and then came home. I'll pop by to see him again this evening on the way back from visiting mum-in-law again. It does seem as if I'm running back and forth between various parents at present.

Ok ladies, any suggestions on food for a baby shower (we don't have such things over here - but DD#2 has arranged something similar for DD#1). We'd like to do healthy food - but fun. I'd love a healthified cupcake recipe that we could decorate in pink and blue. Also cookies - I've got cutters in the shape of a little boy and a little girl to denote the sex of the twins.

I've never been to a baby shower! DD#2 is holding it at her house on 10/10/10 - which would have been my Mum's 75th birthday. She said that it would make it feel like 'Mia is here'. Mia is what the grandchildren all called my mum. It came about because my mum was with me when I was in labour with my two daughters (their dad was drunk, if I remember rightly!) anyway, on my file the midwife wrote 'Mother in attendance', which became shortened to Mia and stuck for ever. Cute, eh?

Looks like it's going to start to rain again, so I'm going to rescue my washing from the garden.

Have a great day please.

Amanda x
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Debi – I added a custom exercise for strength training as my exercise goals are 45 minutes a day 5-6 days a week. I only use 3 calories an hour for it. I still post the actual exercises/reps/weights down in the strength section so I can keep track of what I’ve done.

Bkrbabe – Another idea is to replace what you pick on before you stop the picking itself. I got this idea somewhere on the internet at a diet site. Instead of a brownie get something healthier and/or lower calorie. We did this where I work. Instead of cookies and other such things we have fresh fruit or popcorn (no butter) for snacks.

Macdame – excellent post on filling up with water.

Linda – I’m glad the wedding went well. Post a picture if you can.

Mimi- Yes, you do sound excited about your new granny space. I hope it gets done sooner vs later.

Michele – No the Y should not have alcohol on site ever. It is not a Y thing! Good for you for ranting about it. Thanks for the idea on the spinning videos. I want to get one for home.

My time is up on the computer this morning. I have to go to work now. Apologies for not being able to finish reading the posts and responding to all.

I did make it to the Y yesterday, but missed the spinning class. I did workout for 40 minutes. Thursday should be better.

Jeannie
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Just checking in as I said I would.:ohwell: The scale was up 2 pounds, which was no suprise. The good news is that I am trying the roasted veggies that everyone has been talking about! :tongue: I'm going to step back and regroup about my food choices and make a few changes. According to MFPs total sugar intake....I'm over before breakfast is done! Isn't 25 grams a day low????
    I have 3/4 C of Honey nut cheerios with a banana, 1/2 C of 1% milk and an Activia yougurt.:ohwell: May need to rethink that one but I've been doing it for over a year and lost all that weight:huh: Hmmm..... Sometimes it's time to turn a new page and try something else. I think the time has come.
    Have a great day everyone. (I'm at work....as usual...so this needs to be brief).
    God Bless all!
    BirdieM
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    Hi ladies, just checking in so no one thinks I fell off the face of the earth. I have been pretty busy and stressed as the wedding is in 3 days. I haven't lost anything, but the good news is that I haven't gained either. I've not been keeping up like I should, but have been drinking my water and eating fruits and veggies.
    Gotta run so I'll be checking back again. Hope everyone is well.

I guess I should have said that I haven't lost anything since my last weight in.
  • same10lbs
    Options
    Hi, I joined yesterday and I will be 50 in December, that is part of my motivation. The other part is that I'm tired of seeing whom I've become in the mirror. I want to live the second half of my life as happy and healthy as I've lived the first half. I know it won't happen if I don't' do something about it. Last year was the 30 yr class reunion and I lost 15 lbs for it, and then gained 20 back after the parties were over. My youngest is a Senior in High School, my oldest has been off to college for 3 years, my husband and I talk 80% of the time so loud that the dog leaves the room. I have gotten sadder by the day which leads to whine & wine, neither of which are healthy on a regular basis. I want to take control and get back to the strong, confident, happy ,self sufficient & HEALTHY women I once was. Today is day 2. My short term goal is on December 16th, my 50th Birthday, I will be 35 lbs lighter. and 80 decimals happier. My long term goal is to be 45 lbs lighter and stronger physicaly and emotionally, and stay that way as long as God allows.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Here's to Wednesday -

Michele- thanks for the "petite" shopping stores:flowerforyou: ...I have a dress barn near me and I bought some clothes there but they weren't petite (no dress barns in Colorado have petities) and I had to hem the dresses I'd bought, was a bit of work but I really love the dresses. The Sears here doesn't carry petites and it's been awhile since I've tried Ross & TJ Maxx...will have to give them a look see.

Sounds like those people in the Y aren't looking at the total picture with all the ramifications of allowing alcohol even if they don't provide it, if something were to happen I'm sure a lawyer would have a heyday with that:huh:

Linda- glad that the wedding went well:flowerforyou:

Birdie- :drinker: I'm sure all those receiving the food never knew you were doing it so it wouldn't be around you....better them to eat it than you...good job:wink:

Cindy- thank you for the greek yogurt tip...I'll have to give that a try:flowerforyou: I usually buy the diabetic kind with low sugar and low fat.

Amanda - This receipe was on MFP when I first started in Jan and it's pretty good...I did it as cupcakes

Diet Cake

1 (18 ounce) box dry cake mix (any flavor)
    10 ounces diet soda (any flavor)
    1-2 egg white (slightly beaten, optional but cake stays together better and is fluffier)

1. Mix the dry cake mix, the diet soda, and the egg white(s) until well blended.
    2. Pour into a 9 X 13 sprayed pan or prepared cupcake tins.
    3. Cook according to the directions on cake mix box.
    4. Slice into 12 pieces - 4 points per slice.

Suggested Combinations: * yellow cake mix / diet lemon-lime soda (with a dollop of Cool Whip -- tastes like a "Twinkie") * orange cake / diet Mountain Dew * cherry chip cake / diet cream soda * diet lemon-lime soda / lemon cake * angel or yellow cake / diet orange * white cake / diet peach soda * spice cake / diet lemon-lime * diet ginger ale / white cake * diet cherry soda / chocolate cake * Diet cola / devils food or chocolate mix * diet vanilla coke / chocolate cake * devils food cake / diet Vanilla coke * diet root beer / chocolate cake * diet cherry coke / chocolate cake * marble cake / diet cream soda * lemon cake / tangerine Diet Rite *.

I have also made a spice cake and used a can of pumpkin. Nothing else, just a can of pumpkin. It is yummy. If you make the coke cake and put it in muffin cups you really don't need any frosting. My grandsons love the cupcakes

Canned peaches, white cake and sprite. But, you do not mix all together. Put peached on bottom. Sprinkle on cake mix. Pour sprite on top and bake. Not mixing it causes some of the cake mix to stay on top and get crunchy like a crumble.

Donna56- we will look forward to when you are able to jump back in on a regular basis after the wedding, glad you are eating your fruits and veggies and getting in the water:drinker: that's part of the battle:wink:

BirdieM- it won't take any time at all to get rid of those #2, especially eating those veggies.

Same10lbs- Welcome:flowerforyou: jump right in and let us get to know you...there is a lot of encouragment to be had here

Last night for dinner I had a lot of cauliflower and salad before my fish and by the time I was trying to drink my water I was feeling "stuffed". I agree about the drinking of water with food, I do try to drink my final 16oz after my dinner but before bed but must have drank more than I thought because I think I was up 5 times last night:grumble: ...usually it's only once:ohwell: so I will have to be better about that tonight as I feel really tired today.

I had order some clearance clothes from JCPenny.com and they arrived yesterday. I figured they would work for next summer as I bought them in the smaller size and they all fit now! :bigsmile: It's my goal size and I really like what I bought, I had hoped to find them at the store but they were no where to be found so getting them on line was a bit scary as if they didn't fit or I didn't love them I would have had to send them back...but I don't:wink:

Everyone have a good day and keep fighting the battle against those unwanted pounds.:drinker:

Laura:smile:
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Welcome same10lbs. I"ll be 50 in September and like you that was my motivation to lose some wt!

My exercise routine is going great, I love exercise! But I"m kinda depressed because I"ve been working so stinkin' hard with very little results as far as the scale goes. I'm getting tired and cranky. My eating is so much better but when I weighed today it just pissed me off big time that the scale isn't moving (did I mention crabby???) I said WTH, I"m working my *kitten* off, pushing myself so dang hard for nothing? I know I would be better off thinking positive thoughts like the good things I"m doing for my health with exercise and eating better. A couple of people have recently asked me if I"m losing wt so I guess something is changing. I"m journaling my food (not always on MFP though because I don't always have the time) I have a desk job so that means even though I exercise I"m still consumimg more calories than I"m burning most days. Gotta move more and eat less. My new goal is to get up more throughout the day, get away from this computer and phone at work. Desk jobs are the worst!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I know some of you have heard this story before or at least parts of it, but there are so many new comers it might be helpful to repeat my weight journey. I will not try to post the whole thing in one shot.

I'm 57 years old and when I graduated from college I weighed 155 pounds. My moment of truth was at a family party watching my Uncle Charlie playing the guitar with my Aunts from both sides of the family signing. You could not see Uncle Charlie at all all you could see was 8-10 morbidly obese Italian women with their arms locked swaying back and forth singing the old songs. We have several pictures that we call Uncle Charlie playing the Guitar.

I got myself into a famous weight loss clinic about 1 hour from where we lived in Connecticut. I was a patient for 18 months and got down to 125 pounds and except for one brief period kept the weigh off until I was in my 40's and a Mom. It was called the Fit for Life Diet and until I switched to the DASH diet this month that is the diet I was using to loose the weight I've lost since joining MFP in November 2008. For my frame and height 125 should be my goal weight, not the 119 it says in books. I have big bones (really I do) lol

The next post will be about how I got into the Weight Loss clinic when I was not morbidly obese. Can any one guess?

Jeannie
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Has anyone else had trouble with the MFP's website in the last couple of days? I have been trying to logon to the message boards and it just disappears when I do...I can get on any other website I want to except this one...!!! Wierd. I have logged my food using my phone (which takes forever) and now it has let me on. Amazing how much I missed being able to read everyone's posts when I couldn't!!! I was hurrying so much to read, in case it shut off, that I am not remembering some of the ones I wanted to reply to!!! Except:

Barb: Thanks for your suggestion re the second scale for MT. It is a good suggestion. I hate to have a scale in my suitcase BUT I do need another one there. 3 weeks without one just doesnt work for me!

Birdie: You and I are both in the same boat EXCEPT that you made it to your goal before you regained 2 pounds. Good for you for staying with it...you are showing us how to do it! Regarding breakfast...for many years I did great with a similar breakfast to yours. I have found, now, that the best breakfast for me now is either oatmeal with a bit of fruit chopped in and a few walnuts OR an egg with a toasted whole wheat muffin, sandwich thin or some such. The cereal and/or yogurt doesn't seem to hold me as long and I tend to be hungrier all day. (I love yogurt as an afternoon snack). And I agree with you about the sugar totals on MFP...they just are not right with regards to fruit!

Amanda: The shower sounds like such fun! I love baby showers!

Same10lbs: Welcome...and love your "name"....we all relate!

Mimi: Your new quarters sound just wonderful! How exciting! I love new spaces...Keep us posted!

Linda: Can't wait to see the wedding photos. Are you still up in the clouds?

MacMadame: Interesting thought about not drinking water WITH meals...I always drink lots of everything with meals and never thought about that. (I also drink all day long...always have...water, coffee, tea...you name it...and I pay the price every night by getting up and down...but, I guess I am used to it!) I will TRY to eat without so much to drink and see what happens?

We all seem to love Leslie S. I am going to put on my tennies and do her 4 fast miles right now. I HAVE to get rid of these extra 2 pounds FAST so I can get on to the other ones. Have a wonderful day, eveyone! :heart: Kackie:heart:
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone ...a quick dip in tonight. DH is just off to work and as mum is verrry dippy tonight my time may well be taken up!!

:happy: The scales miraculously said 150.5 this morning. Maybe my hospital day worked some magic ...even though I snacked!! We shall see what tomorrow brings...LOL

:happy: Tomorrow,I'm looking forward to having lunch ...a light lunch I may add ....with some new friends I've made through the Carers association. It's difficult sometimes to get together as they have similar time restrictions to myself but when we can we usually have a good chin wag and try not to mention anything to do with caring!!!:noway:

Friday it's nails time. I've been trying for ages to have "Nice" nails to no avail. I used to put the poor quality of my nails down to the catering work I used to do ...no such excuse now for the crumbling and peeling nails that blight my hands!! Nothing seems to work ...any tips anyone?(Pun there I think) Anyway I'm nipping out in the morning to get acrylic overlays on my nails on Friday.

I'm also going to try and get to a local Alzheimers Society meeting near us. I've been contacted on their forum by another local member who said she'd like to meet up. "How to recognise you "I asked and suggested she wear the proverbial red rose ...:laugh: I told her I'd be easy to spot ...the "rounded" blond with pink nails!!! Her reply came back "I'll be the old grey lady ...making the tea" ...I think i like the red rose better!

Saturday will be a quick nip to the hairdressers for a trim before ..........we go on Sunday.

Oh well ...looks like time to go.

BFN
    :heart: Jackie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies:
    I would like to join the group. How does this exactly work?
    I have been doing the program since July 2010.
    Still trying to get the scale to go down.
    I have logged for 15 days so far and am down 2 lbs.
    but kind of stuck right now on that number.
    Any suggetions? The support would be wonderful.
  • Debhow
    Debhow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Amanda, this isn't a cupcake, but it's a great dessert that is healthier and you can make it look appropriate for a baby shower. Bake an Angel Food Cake, then after it's cooled cut it into 3 layers.

Place about 1/2 inch of sherbet between the layers and fat free whipped topping around the outside, top and middle (that part can be tricky, but not too hard). I like to use Rainbow Sherbet and that would be nice for a Baby Shower. Place in freezer. Then you could add an added touch for the occasion by sticking something babyish in the center, sticking into the whole.

It tastes wonderful, especially in hot weather.

I have a picture of it, but can't post it here...
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Jackie,
    Just popping in to suggest a solution to your nail problems, for the future anyway. I assume they have supplements in UK that are similar to what are available in the States. There are supplements available that help nails, and in the process, skin and hair as well. Biotin is an important mineral that is needed for nail growth. Some people swear by having an envelope of Knox gelatin dissolved into a drink everyday. I have had good luck with a supplement that includes biotin, or you can get biotin by itself over here.

Welcome to newbies.

Rebel,
    I think you, and me, and Barbiecat, and Robin and Kathy (and there may be one more person in our thread who is north of Seattle, but I can't remember who:ohwell: :ohwell: ) need to figure out a way to end up at the same place at the same time. For myself, until I get an "enhanced" driver license, that will allow me to cross into Canada without a passport (which I don't have), I can't travel into BC. I was planning on getting the license to travel later in the Fall, but I don't see that happening. My cousins have never followed up on any of the suggestions I made for meeting, and I won't be in a position to travel once I go back to work.

Maybe what we need to do is plan to meet in the vicinity of Seattle sometime? That is fairly easy for everyone to get to, and even though I am the farthest away, it is only about a 3 hour drive, depending on where we end up. Even up to October the weather is usually pretty good. And they say we are probably in for good weather into October because we had such a wet spring. We can hope.:flowerforyou:

If anyone else has an interest in doing this, how about some suggestions as to where, and what we might do? Maybe someplace where we can do some walking? And find a healthy place for lunch? OR, it may not be practical, but we could also consider meeting at someone's house (not mine, as it is WAAY out of the way for everyone else-sorry) so we could have a potluck with a giant gabfest. That way we would have control over what we ate and how it was prepared. Depending on everyone's schedule, maybe a MFP slumber party--assuming it was too much of a roundtrip to do everything in one day??

Speaking of working, as I did earlier, I won't be starting my new position until after Labor Day. After thinking of obligations my parents have for medical appointments, and my own hesitancy, after talking to my doctor, I arranged to postpone the start of my training until the second week of September. I am starting a new medication that has a possible side effect of drowsiness, and my doctor figured I needed a few weeks to adjust to it.

Anyway, today, is grocery shopping day for my mom, so I have to hit the store. Shouldn't take too long as I will only have to go to one store this week.

BFN

Barb
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am "joining" the group since I am over 50. I will be 53 the end of Dec. So I have been logging on for 40+ days now. I have lost 23 lbs. on a drs plan. I have one friend on here but I would like to add some more.
    I am married 34 yrs. with 3 kids and 4 grandkids.
    Work from home which can make this hard since I am alone most of the day. Going to weigh in at the dr once a week helps keep me accountable since I have to hand in my food journal.

Anyway I will keep this post short as I go weigh this morning. Hope to have lost more since I have over 100 to lose.
    God bless you all in your journey.
    Roberta

Welcome Roberta! Sounds like we have a lot in common accept I am 62 years old!!!:laugh: My name is also Roberta but my sign in name is BirdieM....and I too feel very blessed!:wink: I have 3 children (daughters) all grown up and 4 grandchildren just like you! This website and all the wonderful ladies on it have been a life line for me! I work full time and don't seem to have the time to post as much as I used to....but staying in touch is important! So much information and support! I wish you well!
    YOU CAN DO IT! Let us know how you made out at the doctors.
    BirdieM aka Roberta:laugh: