WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
Welcome to the thread that changed my life. The title is “Women Ages 50+” but all women are welcome. We provide support and encouragement to each other by checking in regularly and sharing our successful and not so successful experiences.
The beginning of the month always feels like a clean piece of paper for making a clean start……how did you do with your goals for July? Even if July wasn’t a banner month for you, this is the chance to make a new beginning. Many of us like to set goals for the new month and put the goals in our signatures so all of us can see them.

Many of us go on vacation in August (I’ll be on the road for two weeks at the end of the month) and will face the challenge of taking our carefully designed eating and exercising plans into a new environment. If you have experience with this, I hope you’ll share it with us.

Some of us set weight loss goals (lose 4 pounds) others set behavioral goals (burn 400 exercise calories a day) and others set attitude goals (no complaining). If a month long goal seems daunting, try a daily or weekly goal or read the thread for a few days and see what goals others are setting and get some good ideas for yourself.
I can’t wait to hear what everyone has to say……….:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    "By hook, by crook, I am second in the (August) book!!" :laugh: :laugh: Just marking this for later.

Good night all.

Barb
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone - marking this for later.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACKIE :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sorry it's late - hope you had a fab time.

:heart: Thanks for all your good wishes everyone I'm pleased to report I am feeling much better today :heart:

Catch up with you all after the dog walk (just a gentle walk for me!)

:smile: Viv
  • chicletgirl
    Options
    I went and experimented with trying on some pants that I had to buy about a year after my ex left me (because I had stopped eating from depression and lost some weight) but then I gained it back after I returned to normal and I couldn't fit in them anymore. Well I tried all of those on and they all fit!!!
    I am so thrilled. I have gone down a size from 26/28 to 22/24 and they aren't tight. I can bend and everything in them!:bigsmile:

I am very pleased and also would like to thank you all for your help and support. I read all your posts and try a lot of what you suggest. Thank you very much, all of you.:drinker:

( And this is even with me and Boo being up late a lot this week and having late night snacks. Maybe Boo and I have been making good choices on our snacks even if we aren't supposed to be eating them!):embarassed:

Chiclet
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    WTG Chiclet!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barb
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. Here's to a great August!

My aims for July were all met (and even surpassed!)

August Goals
    To stay within my calories; To exercise for at least 45 minutes every day (including at least 50 sit-ups/crunches daily); To never sit on the sofa for more than an hour at a time; To lose another 7 pounds. To have one day a week which is dedicated to only eating vegetables.

DH is off hiking for the day, which means that I have the day to myself and I'm going to spend a good part of it in the gym and some of it outside walking.

I'll be back later.

Amanda x
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :drinker: Hello to August and good Morning everyone....

:happy: I'll change my goals for August ...when I can remember how it's done. In the mean time I think that perhaps I did achieve July's but until finish this post and see it in print I can't quite recall what they were!! Dizzy day or what?

:glasses: Not much happening today ......chill out day I think ...chill being the operative word as it's cool again today.I knew I shouldn't have got any flimsy clothes to wear this summer ...sorry folks in N.Wales ...I put the kybosh on the sunshine!!

Anyway ...I must go now and administer some TLC !!

:drinker: I may be back later but if not ....have a great August ladies. Set those goals , Log and Post .....and most of all ....have a good time being the:drinker: :drinker: BEST LOSERS IN THE WORLD !!!

BFN
    :heart: Jackie
    p.s .....thanks for the B'day wishes. I did have loads of cards ...a bumper year ....Mum saw them on the window sill and said to DH ....."Ooooh! look at all those cards everyone has sent ME! (for her Birthday) :laugh: ......She did say she liked being in this exclusive hotel too ...and said she's put in a good word to the management so I could get a pay rise ...best present ever!!

pps. ....didn't make the "drink more water " goal ...ooops!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi

Back from dog walk, we went to the Knavesmire but the road was closed due to the fact that their a charity race on later today. DD was not pleased :angry: so we had to detour to Clifton Ings. It was early so we didn't meet too many people.

:smile: I feel much better, still not sure what I had done, but I have been taking it steady and although it is still a bit achey I am fine.

Poor Uncle has been kept in hospital over the weekend, but should be out on Tuesday. I have a few days off work, so will be going to check on him to make sure he has some food in his cupboards. :smile:

:flowerforyou: Jackie glad that your mum has put a good word in to the "management" for you to get a pay rise. Don't get her cross or she'll be getting you sacked :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:huh: As for the July goals, hmmm Gut n Butt - what happened? :blushing: That's a no. Exercise - Well I tried, but my body was against it :laugh: another no ? drink more water - I drank a bit more .... at work anyhow a nearly yes? lose 3lbs I may have lost 2lb . I've kept moving so a YES there and I've been a bit hit and miss with walking over 20,000 steps a day. met most days.

I will have to think about goals for August. I want to be able to meet most of them.

:flowerforyou: Thanks for recommending the Sneaky Chef book, I'll look into that, I need to be a bit sneeky getting healthy food into DH. :bigsmile:

:smile: I had a long post planned in my head early this morning, but can't seem to remember half of it. I'll just say I look forward to reading all your posts and give thanks that I joined MFP and "met" you all.

DH wants me to cut the grass while he digs up weeds, oohh I can feel my hip/groin injury returning :bigsmile:

Take care everyone :heart: :heart:

Viv :heart:
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Wil post quick as I have a busy morning. We are having Melissa DD#2 birthday dinner today after church (her birthday was the day of her shower and we just have not had time till today) so I need to get a chocolate pie made before church. Her favorite meal is my veggies fahita;s so that is on the menue as well. Hot sausage is in crock pot for the men who insist on eating meat,
    Chiclet congrats on fitting into smaller size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jackie belated happy birthday. Glad you are getting a raise---haha
    I did not meet my July goals, but I did lose 2 lbs and 2". Even if this is how my body is going to work, I am not giving up, It is still better than gaining 2 lbs. I have always know that my weight loss shuts down easily. I just have to find a way to get more exercise in on a daily basis. It is hard with all the people I have needing so much time. I am up by 6:30 AM and never get finished with my day until around 8PM. By then I am exhausted and just want to sit down and relax. I am going to try and get up at 6 and do 30 mins on eleptical every morning
    Oh well, congrats to all of you on your loses this month. I am just sitting here thinking of all the years I did this alone and am grateful for each of you. This thread is truly a life-line thrown out to help us who are drowning in a sea of fat.
    Have a marvelous month. Our wedding is in under 2 weeks.
    linda
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    Good morning and a great Aug. to all :smile: This month is starting off to a great start already! :happy: First of all, for those who may remember my whining about my oldest daughter and I not speaking, well that's still the same, but today she is bringing all three of her children to sunday school and church. That means I get to see my grandchildren today!!! :smile: :smile: :smile: It's a long story so I'm not going into it in detail, but her oldest daughter lives with her dad and Tina ( my daughter ) hasn't had any contact with her for years, 13 to be exact, anyway, now for some reason that I don't know of, Monica, the oldest child is with her mom maybe until Sept. My daughter was told by her ex, not to take her to their church so Tina is bringing her and the other 2 kids to my church. Anyway, a long story short, I get to see my grandkids for the first time in 2 yrs!!!! Plus the oldest grand daughter for the first time in 13 yrs!!! :smile: I am very excited. Taking my camera and taking pictures.

Okay, yesterday I said that I was going to a get together and there was going to be alot of food and alcohol. Well, I didn't do too horribly bad: atleast I don't think so. I filled half of my plate with fruit, and then a part of it with celery and cucumbers. I did have about 2 Tbls. of cheesy potatoes and about 2 Tbls of spaghetti salad. Also a quarter of a chicken breast. Not too bad I don't think. Well until I drank 2 drinks of Malibu banana rum and strawberry pop!!! :laugh: I am sure I went over my calories because of the drinking, but the scale was nice to me this morning. I got some swimming in also :tongue: Not that I can actually swim, but I did do the dog paddle :laugh: and a few min. of trying to run in the pool.

My goals for August is to lose 5 lbs...to excercise atleast 5 days a wk..... and to drink my water everyday.

Well, I am going to get off of here for now. I'll check back this afternoon. I also have a fitting at David's Bridal this afternoon. It will be when I pick up my wedding dress. All they had to do was put straps on it. The dress fit me to a T from the beginning :smile:

Have a great day everyone :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies, this is my first, first of the month post.

Last month I made my goal of losing 8 pounds by my surgery on the 6th. Then I basically stopped losing until today. So my goals this month are to lose 5 pounds and to keep walking. Both my knees went on the blink so it has slowed me way down but it will get better.

My grandchildren are here for their last week:sad: . They leave Sunday. And I will be returning to work in 2 weeks. Hopefully. Here's to a good month.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Jackie--I am SO sorry this is late!
    gbirthday80.gif
    I know you had fun!
  • sage30906
    sage30906 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good morning,:drinker: Since I have turned 50 my eating has gone out of CONTROL, well I am fixing to get it under CONTROL. I am tired of my knees hurting, not being able to tie my shoes or cross my legs, and I really hate to SWEAT, ok I done venting, I hope everyone has a great Sunday :happy:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good mornng all,

so I only lost a little over 2 pounds in July. I am still hoping to make 145 by Dh birthday on the 8/15 but that means 3 pounds in 2 weeks. We shall see. I am going to try to be really good for the next two weeks to make it and then enjoy myself camping. DD os doing the same down in vegas and then she is flying up to go camping with us. I am so excited. She is hoping to have a job offer for a move to Minnesota by then. I hope it works out for her. she really wants out of Vegas.

I have been discussing flowers with other DD. the wedding will be in January sometime. the flowers she likes are pricey. I hope I can make it work out. I aparently gave her my champagne taste gene.

We may or many not be attending a family reunion today. DH is really on the outs with the family (mostly cuz they don't accept me) so we are on a roller coaster today. I will let you know the outcome.

Have a great day all.
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Mimi – I am in full agreement with what you said about veggies and the amount you can and do eat of them. It's great be losing weight and never be hungry or feel deprived. :laugh:

As to to guy next door, he is a genuine pedophile unfortunately, not a case of 20 year old guy and a not quite legal girl. He was in his 40's and the kid was under 12 - shudder and not a case of being put up to accusations by a spiteful and malicious significant other. He is also a nut case in general – threatening people and having loose bad dogs. Hopefully they will move.

Donna – Way to go on those two pounds lost! :drinker: I missed seeing where you are getting married soon. Congratulations on that too! :flowerforyou: It's wonderful that you are getting to see the grandkids today. Families can get so very complicated. It sounds like you did quite well at your get together too. :bigsmile: How bad can a couple drinks be?

BC1 – yippee on the pound loss! :bigsmile: I googled Ak Mak crackers. They look good, now I have to try to find some place that sells then. Amazon was even out of the whole wheat ones.

Amanda – I'd love to get your hummus recipe too. It seems like I'm the odd one out here who can't make the stuff. I tried a blender and a food processor but never got a smooth product. I'm stumped. I googled the sites that were shown in the last thread. maybe I am not blending long enough... Do you get a smooth product?

Chiclet – Woo Hoo! Down a pants size is terrific. :laugh: Doesn't it feel so good to know you can do it? :bigsmile:

Jackie – I too hope you had a grand bithday! :flowerforyou:

Well. I better get to it. Grabbing my first glass of water, so I have a lot of drinking to do. :drinker:

Faye
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Heck, forgot the goals. The goals for July were modest to say the least, cardio MWF and pool laps TT. I didn't always keep to the pool laps thing - sometimes due to thunderstorms and sometimes due to excuses. :embarassed: When I didn't do laps I did go to the gym and work out. I did drink the water and maintained my weight during a two week vacation with a cooking fanatic. I only managed one tiny pound this month but I lost an inch off my butt, which was great news. I am definitely a pear shape. :frown:

Goals for August and Sept will be tough as we will be traveling a lot. I will be realistic and shoot for maintaining, drinking my water and getting some form of exercise every day. Hopefully I can also lose a few pounds but if I don't I know I have the tools to do so when I get back to a normal life and a kitchen! As I am just barely in the 100's I WILL NOT GAIN.

Faye
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Just marking my spot...we are out in MT with lots of family after a couple of days in Chicago with kids. FIrst time I have gotten on the computer and finally logged my food after a week of ....I don't know what! Anyway, HOpe all of you are well and I look forward to catching up SOON. Have a great day, Kackie:heart:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :laugh: bumpity-bump; My goals are in my signature space. A little aggressive, but I think doable.:bigsmile:

Lost 3.5 lbs in July!! Thanks to my bicycle riding and my fruit & veggie days!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Thanks to all of you for inspiring and supporting me! I treasure you and I appreciate your encouraging words so much! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:heart: :heart: Rebel:heart::heart:
  • BarbieCat1
    Options
    Hi everyone... Just look at our shiny fresh August home page!

Got in a nice bike ride to the beach yesterday despite the heat and humidity... but unlike hubby, I opted for the shorter route home after we breakfasted with our fellow bikers because I know my limits for exertion in the heat and humidity. DH... :huh: however, after a layoff of 3 weeks, opted to ride the full 28 miles with his buddies. Mistake! He was totally whacked out, sweating and red faced when he got home. He's in good health, fortunately, but he's no spring chicken and still about 15 pounds overweight .... so after a cool shower and nap, he revived. But why do many men get so "macho" and try to prove they're still able to do what they did years ago?

I was going to ride to the beach again this morning with a gal pal, but I got a nasty cut on my thumb yesterday as I was slicing veggies for dinner... and it was kinda bloody. It's better today, but I need to take care I don't open it up again, so am not going to risk a bike ride, and certainly not a swim in the ocean. Maybe I can get a walk in this evening. I'll try.

The month wasn't too bad for me, what with all our going here and there, celebrations and the family visits... but I only lost about 3 pounds all month and that's just not good enough. I'm pleased I lost at all, of course, and think I've really learned to deal with portion control when I'm not in charge of meal prep. So, on balance, a positive month.

For August... with our bike vacation looming, I've set my goals at 5 lbs minium, but I'd rather lose about 7. Fortunately, we'll be home most of the time, and more in control of what we eat. DH is losing more easily, of course ! It's so unfair that men can over indulge one day and then the next, by being good one day, lose 1 or 2 lbs. :grumble:

Conga rats to everyone who lost or maintained in July. I'm proud of you all. I know many have had personal struggles.. and it wasn't easy.
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Spent last evening at my daughter and son-in-law’s celebrating both girls’ birthdays (2 weeks apart). Just a small, family party. My son, his new wife, and 2 boys were there too. Had a great time but Ate Too Much! Actually, I should say Didn’t Exercise Enough! Starting today, I’m going to get my exercise in early. When I think I’m going to do it at the end of the day, I’m usually wrong.

It’s time to get my groove back. I lost weight in July but not as much as I wanted to. I’m okay with that as July was kind of a crazy month with lots of comin’s, goin’s, and doin’s. But, August will be tamer and I’ll be the one in charge of the food that’s put before me more of the time. There will be just one baby shower and one trip to see friends the last week of the month (including seeing Robin, which will be way cool). Fortunately, I expect the friends I’m visiting will be considerate and plan healthy eating.

Laura, woo hoo, fantastic job! Ahead of your goal is incredible. That must feel so good. I know what you mean about too much stuff. I tend to go for “shopping therapy” myself. I think it connects to the overeating. I’m not sure what it’s about….???

Donna, You did really well at the outing! You did a great job saving up calories for the evening and made great choices. The drinks…they’re okay too for a once-in-awhile occasion. You’re doing well with the exercise today too – all around great job!!!

I’m happy you’re getting to see your grandkids. I hope all goes well. I can’t imagine the heartbreak you’ve been through. I hope for healing for your relationship with your daughter.

Barb, I’m flying into Bellingham on Allegiant Air. I’ll be up there, without a car, from the 25th to the 29th then heading down to Washougal WA (near Portland) by train. I’ll be there the 29th through September 2nd. If those dates and the travel happen to work for you, I’d love to see you. That would be so much fun!

Barbie, I’m bummed not to be able to see you too. If anyone else is near Bellingham or Portland (Washougal actually), let me know. I’ll make time to see you. (Remember the old Girl Scout song, “make new friends, but keep the old…one is silver and the other gold.” Both are precious!)

Viv, I’m glad you’re feeling better. You had me worried.

Chiclet, congratulations! I was in the same place last January and know how good it feels to drop in clothing sizes. I have four big bins of clothes to give away and have already given away as many. We can do this! We are doing this!!

Jackie and Amanda, congratulations on making your goals in July. Dang, I am jealous. Will work harder in August.

Jackie, your mom sounds like a hoot. Hotel Jackie must be quite a place. And, you definitely deserve a raise. I say they should double your salary! When my sister’s MIL had to be in court for a conservatorship hearing, she flirted with the judge and told him she was 20 years younger than she was. You’ve gotta love that the sense of humor stays with us even when some of the other capabilities fade.

Linda, you did well considering all you have going on. And, with a wedding coming up, I’m sure you’ll have even more things to do. Your plan for getting up early is a good one. (Eeeks. Makes me think I should do the same thing. Up early? I dunno. I’m retired now!) I’m glad you’re being good to yourself. You deserve it and it will make you happy, which will make the folks you care about happy too.

Megamom, congratulations on meeting your goals. You’ve had a lot going on this month too. Double congratulations are in order!

Sage, you are giving yourself a great gift and you’ve come to the right place for support and motivation. Here’s to a healthy, happy new you!

Robin, even though you lost only 2 pounds, you are looking great! I’ve read many times that you can even gain weight when you lose fat and build muscle. But, girlfriend, you’re proof that the results are good (health and looks).

I’m glad you’ll get to see your daughter. It sounds like you miss her like crazy. I don’t blame her for wanting to get out of Vegas, but Minnesota? I guess it’s a nice place but I was born there and have seem pics of the snow…deep snow! So much prettier than Vegas though.

Good for your DH for being loyal to you. That’s the way it should be. My new DDIL’s sisters and brother don’t support her – even invited her Ex for Thanksgiving when she was going to attend – and didn’t let her know. (Fortunately she found out in time and we had the pleasure of her company!) Even her Exes’ (sp?) family who live nearby support her. But her family lives at a distance and didn’t see what went on in person. She won’t talk badly about him so they don’t know what she went through. As for me, I would have talked badly about him. Oh yeah!

Faye, yes, sister, amen to never feeling hungry or deprived! (That reminds me that a dear friend from the place where I worked a few years ago called me Sister Queen. I loved it!)

Your neighbor sounds awful – and scary. I hope he’ll move too. There should be a way of keeping people like that away from other people. I read about someone who chose a permanent shutdown of the hormones, was happier, and said he thought that was the only treatment that would work. I’m in favor of it.

You did GREAT on your July goals! Going to the gym when you don’t swim laps is an amazing success. The Ones have got to be wonderful. Worth doing whatever it takes to stay there.

Kackie, I’m SO happy to hear from you!!!!!!!! I missed your smiling face, your posts, and your encouraging words. I hope you’re having lots of fun on your trip.

BC1, you didn’t meet your own goals but I say a big CONGRATULATIONS on losing and doing all the exercise you’re doing. You are close to goal so the weight loss will be slower but you have done so well. I know what you mean about being home and more in control of what you eat. I love it!
  • Angusowner
    Options
    Time to pour out! My wieght been has up & down my entire life. These last year, I wore my weight like a walking calendar: These 10 pounds from quitting smoking, this 10 from my first child, the next 15 from the second, this 20 from job stress, and so on. After turning 50. I wanted to get healthier which meant losing close to 100 pounds. Well, I have tried various ways and had netted a loss of 10 in the last 5 years - not too great, but a loss all the same. Well, on April 1 of this year, my mother died. She was s dear person who had lead a wonderful, full life. She had always had good health (passed away suddenly in her own home at the age 94) and was such a tiny thiing (we are all short in our family!). Anyway, I gained over 15 pounds in 2 months! Beginning of June, my daughter, husband, & I started using mfp. It has been slow going, but during July - even with anniversary trips,ect. - I really stuck with it and have done well. As I look back on the month, I realize that I have also started getting a handle on my grief. Oh, I still have those moments of sadness & loss, but it is not overwhelming me.

Now my concern with August is that I teach middle school iscience n a system that is having severe financial problems. Morale has been down for the last several years, and our system has had to weather some huge tragedies. I am afraid of how my healthy living will be affected by the stress of this school year.

Any teachers out there? How do you do it?

Wow - maybe I should have blogged this : )

Thanks for the support, ladies!
    Bec